Audio out via USB-C questions.

jnak00

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I use a PIxel 2XL. Recently, I acquired a Sony UDA-1 amplifier. There is a USB-A port on the front which allows for connection of smartphones to play music through the amp. I've tested this with a Sony NWZ-ZX1 Walkman, which runs an old version of Android, and it works. It's simply plug and play. The amp has a DAC, so it takes the digital stream from the host device and plays it through the speakers.

However, when I connect my Pixel 2XL, I don't get any sound through the amp. The Pixel plays the sound on its own speakers. How do I get the Pixel to output digital audio via USB?

The amp is an older model - circa 2014 or so - so I don't know if it simply does not support USB-C devices? That would kinda suck. I reached out to Sony support but they were useless.

joe01880

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Older version of Android, how old? You may have answered your own question already. Perhaps it's to old to work with an up to date Pixel 2XL maybe?

jnak00

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm wondering if that's the case, but I have no real way to verify. I believe the Android on the Walkman is Android 4, so it's pretty old. Did the audio output over USB function change in between? Can the Pixel 2 XL be connected with an external DAC at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel