SD card unable to play SOME mp4 files?

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Not really a galaxy s4 issue.. however

Just got a 64gb sd card. I have some MP4 movies that I want on my phone.

The mp4 files work fine on my pc, they play just fine in any media player no issue.
I then move them to the SD card, half the movies play fine, the other half either dont play at all and give me an error like "Unable to play" or work for hlf the movie and then stop and give me the same error.

Same thing when put in the phone.. Half the movies work while the others either dont play or only half the movie plays before "unable to play".

If I delete the file, then reinstall it, after 4-5 tries it sometimes works just fine..
I clicked the "reformat" on the galaxy s4 for the card..

Im at a loss, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not really a galaxy s4 issue.. however

Just got a 64gb sd card. I have some MP4 movies that I want on my phone.

The mp4 files work fine on my pc, they play just fine in any media player no issue.
I then move them to the SD card, half the movies play fine, the other half either dont play at all and give me an error like "Unable to play" or work for hlf the movie and then stop and give me the same error.

Same thing when put in the phone.. Half the movies work while the others either dont play or only half the movie plays before "unable to play".

If I delete the file, then reinstall it, after 4-5 tries it sometimes works just fine..
I clicked the "reformat" on the galaxy s4 for the card..

Im at a loss, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Are they bigger than 4gb? If so, format your card on your pc in the ExFat format. That supports larger file sizes and could be causing some of your issues. The S4 only formats the card in Fat32.

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Are they bigger than 4gb? If so, format your card on your pc in the ExFat format. That supports larger file sizes and could be causing some of your issues. The S4 only formats the card in Fat32.

Most are 1.5gb or less but I will try that, cant hurt to try.

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Its not a player issue guys.. The files work fine on the pc, I even put them on another sd card and they work. They just dont work on this sd card.

Trying to reformat now.

nmoore159

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
was there ever a remedy to this...i am having the same problem... i have reformatted several times...in the device (note1)....i have a 64gb card that is recognized...but when i download music and mp4 to the card...most movies won't play...and the music files don't even show up...sometimes i go to the folder for mp4 and the phone only gives me the option to play thru music apps...sometimes i try to play a movie and the screen stays black and i hear static...i don't know what is going on....i can take another sd card out of another device and everything is fine with that one....i copy music and mp4 files to this new card and problems...i also got a new 32gb thinking maybe 64 was just incompatible...but that one is the same thing...so i think it is a problem w/ the format...i formatted the 64gb in the device first..and problems i tried fat32 from my laptop and lost half the memory... so i formatted again in the device it sees the memory but the files are all messed up...i keep hearing fat32...but that didn't work..i format in the device..but files don't play...only thing i haven't tried is the NTFS...

any thoughts

Last edited:

D_G

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Same EXACT problem here. New Galaxy S4, new Samsung micro SD card (64 gb), and some .mp4 files play just fine, and some don't.

On my macbook pro, I opened two Finder windows side by side, showing the video file as it lives on the micro SD card, and the file that lives on my hard drive. The video on my hard drive plays just fine in all the video players. Then I tried playing the same video file directly from the micro SD card, and no dice. If I delete the vid from the card and copy the working one from my laptop over, all of a sudden it won't work.

Guys? Anyone? Someone HAS to have figured this out by now…

DG

CA808

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. My videos are DRM-free, so that's not the problem. Also, they're only 50MB or less in size.

I hope someone has the answer and sees these posts!!:(

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue. It actually happened with videos AND music. After trying many different remedies, nothing worked. My buddy suggested that problem is likely with the sd card itself. The one I was using was some brand I never heard before, so I purchased a scandisk, and everything works fine.

Try another sd card if you have one. That would be my guess.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeff Phillip

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem.

Try downloading the app Rescan Media from the Google Play store. The problem seems to stem from Android's file system doing something weird, not the file format or the player as you already know.

RMcquinn

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I may have the answer to some of these concerns. I just had the same problems described above on my S4 with an external 32G card and solved the problem. The S4 seems to use the MP3 file "metadata" for its player listings. Just because you can see the file in the Music folder does not necessarily mean the metadata is OK within the file. I downloaded a free app to view and change the MP3 file metadata called "Stamp ID3 Tag Editor". I found that the "missing" files view in the Music player had missing names in the metadata. I supplied the names and woola! It showed up in the player. Hope this helps.

Labied Razzaq

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It will be helpful if you can tell us the Editor that you used and how did you supply the names. I am having the same problem I searched for a Stamp ID3 Tag Editor and did not find it.
Thank you

Mike Dobing

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
i had a similar problem. MP4s worked fine on the laptop, but when copied to the sd card they wouldn't work, although if I converted the file to wmv format it worked ok.

In the end I reformatted the sd card and then subsequent mp4s worked fine.

Thanks

eddiebhoy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
exactly , I see this lady's comment saying how she managed how to fix a issue with music on the sd card , But she aint saying the name of the app and how she managed to identify the names that she said she supplied.

skyjet1

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to put some mp4's on a sandisk 128gb micro in my Galaxy note 4 that are about 1gb in size. I get a message that the file can't play. The files are about 2 hours long. I've down loaded a trail of a converter that will only convert 5 minutes of the video. Those 5 minute files will play. Is there a file size limit for the 128gb micro card. If there is, what is it? Thanks

skyjet1

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I have returned the SanDisk 128GB 30MB/s microSD card that I bought from ebay and bought a SanDisk 128GB 48MB/s microSD card from Amazon and I have not had any problems with the new card. Either I got a bad card or it was a fake. It came in a retail package. I would recommend avoiding ebay and purchase the best and fastest SanDisk card from a known retailer.