One handed use

nickthorley

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Please - no sarcastic comments required. I currently have an Iphone 4s and looking to get the S4 in a few weeks. One thing I do love about the smaller 4S is that I can get it out of my pocket and operate it including typing with one hand as I walk. With the S4 being bigger, I suspect that this wont be possible and that there is a good chance I would drop the phone if I tried to operate it one handed.

Can anyone let me know your thoughts

Thanks

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I have mid to long skinny fingers and it is super difficult to get to the lower left of the keyboard without the phone teetering on my index finger like a fulcrum or mushing the wrong letters. Big deal? Nah, not to me.

Posted via Android Central App

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have no real difficulty using the S4 with one hand.

But please, don't be one of "those people" who walks around texting while being oblivious to the world around you. If you feel you must text someone, STOP walking around with your head buried in a phone, sit down, type, then get on with your walk. [rant}It amazes me how out of touch folks are these days, all they want to do 24/7 is text text text or talk talk talk on their phone. Sheesh.[rant off]

nickthorley

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No I wont be one of those but I have a dog and with lead in one hand I only have one free so its either type one handed or wait till I get home which isnt a problem but I was just wondering how viable one handed typing is

Thanks

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Having a decent case with some texture to the back side will help immensely. I find the naked phone hard to grip, especially one-handed.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Typing isn't an issue. The only issue I have is getting to stuff at the top of the screen like the notification shade and URL text box in browsers. I keep all of the shortcuts and widgets I interact with at the bottom of the screen and most stuff I use when I only have one hand free are things where I'm just looking at information so I'm just swiping around. The input text box for texts is near the bottom, so it's easy to get to as well. Unless you need the absolute top contact it's easy to get the contact you want if you need to make a call, too.

I will agree that some sort of textured case is a really good idea. I got a cheap TPU case off Amazon. It doesn't add much bulk and the extra friction helps a ton.

thehoz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I can usually do it with one hand (don't think dirty) but it's not a good strong grip when I have to really reach. But I wouldn't give it up for my iPhone (I've had them all from 3g to 5) for that, or any, reason.

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Really depends on your hand size.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

No I wont be one of those but I have a dog and with lead in one hand I only have one free so its either type one handed or wait till I get home which isnt a problem but I was just wondering how viable one handed typing is

Thanks

Granted, I have large-ish hands, but I have no problem at all reaching all the keys on the keyboard when using the phone one-handed, though I have noticed that trying to hit the upper corners of the screen are much more difficult. If it's really important to you, the best advice would be to go to a store and try it out for yourself...if you have smaller hands it could be more difficult to type.

Having a decent case with some texture to the back side will help immensely. I find the naked phone hard to grip, especially one-handed.

This is pretty good advice even for using the phone 2 handed! I'd love to be able to ditch my case, but it definitely provides a better grip.

Nerelda

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have small hands (I wear size XS or S gloves) and it's a bit of a reach for me to get to the letters on the other side of the screen, but I can typically make it work single handedly if necessary.