Android and Google account

rlridgeway

May 17, 2013
Visit site
This is really more of a question about google accounts. There seems to be so many related elements to Google, I am not sure of the overlap. Besides the search engine, there is Google Account, Gmail, Google +, Google Drive, Picasa, Picasaweb, Chrome, Chromebook, Android, Google Sync, plus others I am sure have been omitted.

Specific questions:
What is the relationship of Google Drive and Picasa. If I can store photos on Drive why fool with Picasa? I have a 100 gig limit on Drive.
When is Google sync necessary? Do phone contacts in android automatically backup to my google account and do I have to use Google sync, to do so?
What is Google +?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android ad fdgoogle account

What is the relationship of Google Drive and Picasa. If I can store photos on Drive why fool with Picasa? I have a 100 gig limit on Drive.

Your 100 GB limit is for Google Drive, Google+ Photos, and Gmail combined. It isn't just for Drive.

Picasa was bought by Google a while ago and incorporated into Google+ (which is Google's answer to Facebook) as Google+ Photos. If you try to go to Picasa on the web, you'll just be redirected to Google+ Photos. The only remnant of Picasa is the downloadable photo editor/organizer software for your desktop/laptop. The Picasa you see referenced on your Android device is for syncing your Google+ Photos with the stock Gallery (which might get phased out soon, considering that there is now a separate Google Photos app that does the same thing).

Google+ Photos is a much nicer way of storing your photos than on Google Drive, because Photos has a nice interface, displays your photos beautifully, and has increasingly useful online editing tools.

When is Google sync necessary? Do phone contacts in android automatically backup to my google account and do I have to use Google sync, to do so?

Not sure what you mean by Google Sync. Android is intimately associated with your Google account, and so all of your Google app data on your device should get backed up automatically to your Google account as a normal function of Android. This is assuming that you have background sync turned on. You can also pick and choose which Google apps you want to sync under Settings/Accounts. Keep in mind, though, that contacts and calendar events entered into the "Phone Account" will not sync with Google; it has to be entered into the device's Google account. The Phone Account is used more for syncing with Microsoft Outlook and other 3rd party software, and is generally not very useful if you primarily use Google products.

ajl

May 22, 2013
Visit site

1. There really isn't a relationship between Google Drive & Picasa. I'd just disable it and hide it from my drawer. Out of sight, out of mind.
2. Google Sync isn't necessary per-say. If you'd like to back-up your photos automatically you can set that up w/ Google+'s photo service. You can find the setting for Auto Sync of Photos in the Google+ App.
3. Google+ is Google's own little social networking site, and Google is slowly sucking everyone into it. A recent update to YouTube requires you to have a Google+ account to comment on videos. If you'd like a more in-depth summary and overview of Google+, you can look here - Google+

Hope I helped you out, if you have anymore questions, ask here or shoot me a PM.

rlridgeway

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies.

Google+ Photos is a much nicer way of storing your photos than on Google Drive, because Photos has a nice interface, displays your photos beautifully, and has increasingly useful online editing tools.
So Google +Photos is more than an interface with pictures stored on Drive?

Not sure what you mean by Google Sync
I think I got the term Google Sync confused by an infographic about Google accounts. Think I have better understanding now.

rlridgeway

May 17, 2013
Visit site

A follow-up question:
Is there a way to have the sync only while on Wi-fi? If so, Is that the default option? I think I saw that while digging around but cannot find that setting.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Maybe this might work: In Settings, tap Connections and then Data usage. Then tap the Menu key (!!--a brilliant way of hiding some important settings). The Auto sync data box here has the same effect as tapping Sync in the Notification screen settings: it turns on automatic synchronization in general. If it's turned off, you have to do all syncing manually (I think). But the Restrict background setting is the one in question. Quoting from the Verizon S4 manual, p. 135, "Your device can connect to the network in the background, for synchronization or other services. When enabled, background connections will not occur." If you check this box, you get the following confirmation notice: "Restricting background data will stop some apps and services from working unless device is connected to a Wi-Fi network," and you need to tap OK or Cancel.

Got that? Saying yes to "Restrict background" means saying no to background data connections, including syncing, but does not affect Wi-Fi connections. IOW, it sounds like checking this box would indeed prevent syncing except while connected to Wi-Fi. Perhaps a qualified attorney and/or geek-speak interpreter can jump in here and confirm this. :)

rlridgeway

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Dave! I believe you may have found it. Maybe.
All this seems pretty convoluted. Trying to figured exactly what is being synced, when, and how should be a lot simplier.