Are you still happy with your S4?

spookyseven

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got a S4 after having a HTC evo 4g for over 2 years. I've been less than impressed but wanted to have the opinion of those who have had the phone longer than I have. I'll start with the video quality since it might really be a deal breaker for me. From what I understand, the s4 screen is high resolution but when it tries to play videos that aren't high resolution they look absolutely terrible. I understand why it happens but the fact there is nothing you can do about it is unacceptable to me. Even pictures that aren't high resolution look terrible. The evo was 2 years older and could do a better job playing videos.

The general function of the phone has been frustrating the last couple days. Day 1-2, the video player won't scroll foreward, music apps like jango and pandora take about 40 seconds to play the next song. Day 3 videos completely stopped playing so I did a factory reset. Videos worked but really, 3 days and have to reset the phone? I also tried the music apps and they would only play one song and freeze. Day 4 things seemed to work ok accept for youtube. Youtube played one video just fine but wouldn't do anything else until I restarted the phone. Here it is on day 5 ,about to return the phone, and things mysteriously seem to work fine. Videos, music and chrome all work just fine. Up until today I had been killing all the apps I wasn't using and clearing the cache to free up all the rom I could. Since it is working fine today I turned on everything I can and didn't kill any apps and everything is working fine. So my question is does this phone hold up over time or is it hit and miss on how it functions?

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Having since used friend's Ones and G2, and myself now owning a Moto X - the answer is no.

The S4 simply doesn't behave like a flagship should, it fights below its weight so to speak. I still have my S4 by the way.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Many seem to love and hate their S4. I think many get lucky and have no issues and many get unlucky and end up with problems. In other words........ hit and miss performance. If you search around, you can find many people frustrated with S4 lag and all around performance. If you are accustomed to the HTC way of doing things, you might be disappointed in your Samsung. I find HTC (especially the EVO 4G) very intuitive and have never had a problem with mine. When I went to the S4 I just did not like the whole UI, useless features and lagging issues (probably due to the useless features). The EVO 4G may be slower but at least it doesn't require reboots nor does it lag at all.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't be clearing your RAM. It makes the phone work harder because it has to restart a bunch of background programs that you're continuously closing. But if you're unhappy exchange it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm still very happy with my s4. I wish it had better battery life but that's what I have the spare and Morphie juice pack for:)

Sent from a Unknown Galaxy

Dickey68

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Take it back and get the g2...I really dislike mine after 3 months. I mean it's ok but I really expected it to be better, smoother, and a real hi end phone. I feel it's only half assed. And music sucks on it.

Posted via Android Central App

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I love the S4, but you obviously don't. If you don't like it, get a different phone. There's nothing wrong with that, it's why there are so many different phones available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Had mine since the second month it was released came from an iPhone 5 and never looked back. S4 has been flawless and has worked as advertised throughout every update. Can't imagine ever changing from a Samsung device with Android OS could not be more pleased.

blademael

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I love my S4 after two months, yes I had to tweak it a little bit to make it better, like changing the launcher, touch wiz was a bit laggy so I intalled Nova, I disabled all the sens motion options, but I think that it's like any operating system, you need to adjust it as you like.

sent by my Galaxy S4

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Got mine 2 months ago.
It's my 2nd Android phone phone and my 1st Sammy.

Coming from an HTC One S.

No more HTC for me.

And yeah I still love my S4

Posted from my SGH-I337M

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 children that went from teens to twenties...have moved up from their Iphones for their first Androids. Could have chosen any phone and both picked S4's. I don't think they will ever look back.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm so-so... I wish I could have waited longer and gotten myself a Note 3. I'm unhappy about the internal memory. I now have to prioritize which apps I use because the internal memory is so low... And I've been migrating all pictures (screenshots, for example), all data I can switch over to the microSD card. It is frustrating. I came over from a HTC One X+ and it's frustrating since I didn't have this problem with my previous phone. I might have to factory reset... Maybe it's the dalvik cache or something. Wish Samsung didn't take up more of my inadequate internal memory with that bloody Knox container.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your doing something incorrect I have all my Music, Documents, Pictures, Video, Movies ,etc. and many Apps on the Micro SD card and it works flawless. Since the SD cards are so inexpensive it cost much less then purchasing the phone with more memory. As for the dalvik cache I doubt that has anything to do with your situation I would think a full reset might solve the issue.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Can't imagine what would cause anyone to HATE an S4.

I love the phone. Fast, powerful, awesome camera, great screen...I can't really think of a complaint that I have other than very minor quibbles that I don't even think about any more.

The only thing I don't like about it now is that it isn't the new Note, which just came out. Upgrade-itis marches on! ;) I do want a bigger screen, though and I wasn't about to buy a Note 2 that was already on the verge of being replaced at the time I sprung for the S4.

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I had an HTC one and traded it for the s4. My s4 works as advertised. My wife traded her iPhone 5 for an s4 and neither have had problems. I haven't had any trouble with the stock music player it works great.

Posted via Android Central App

Faloogs

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had my s4 since it first came out and still love it. Smooth, quick and powerful. My only gripe is definitely the music player. I do use powramp which helps a lot. I also use most of the bells and whistles. I contemplated trying other launchers, not because I don't like touchwiz, just for a change. So far I ve decided not to because I'd lose most of the fun stuff. If you're unhappy, get another phone before it's too late.

Posted via Android Central App on my awesome Samsung Galaxy s4