How Do I? PlayOn Samsung S4 to Samsung TV via Wi-Fi?

Nharzhool

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

I'm new to AC and need some help with a GS4 I got for my fianc?e.

I have a Wi-Fi network at home with a Samsung UA40ES6200 smart TV connected to it.

Can someone please explain how to get the videos to play on my TV over the Wi-Fi? I spent nearly an hour trying to get it to work...I'm feeling rather stupid now.

I have the BlackBerry Z10 and with mine, I long-touch on the video I want, hit "PlayOn" and select my TV. I want to be able to do something similar on the GS4...can someone please give me steps on how to do this.

I'm just feeling that it isn't intuitive enough...or maybe I'm just being daft.

Thanks for the help in advance!

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
This is how I got it to work on my blu ray player....make sure you have an app called Samsung Link or AllShare. Load that app on the phone. Somewhere in the TV settings there should be an option named after the app...such as Samsung Link or AllShare. Make sure the devices are on the sme network. Once they recognize each other, you should be able to go from there. Hope I helped. If you have any questions let me know. :)

Posted via Android Central App

burbley

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If you press the TV input (or source) button, aside from the usual list of analog and HDMI inputs, do you have a Screen Sharing "input" available?

If so, change to that input, and it will let you scan for devices. Turn on the Screen Mirror function on your S4, and your phone should appear in the available devices list on the TV. It should automatically connect. It might take two attempts (that's what have noticed).

Once it's connected, your TV will mirror your phone. If you play videos, your phone's screen will be black but the video will be on the TV in full-screen.

Nharzhool

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
This is how I got it to work on my blu ray player....make sure you have an app called Samsung Link or AllShare. Load that app on the phone. Somewhere in the TV settings there should be an option named after the app...such as Samsung Link or AllShare. Make sure the devices are on the sme network. Once they recognize each other, you should be able to go from there. Hope I helped. If you have any questions let me know. :)

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the suggestions...though Link can suck a F***. It always freezes while streaming and never works nicely. This isn't just my fianc?e's S4...it happens with all my colleagues' ones as well.

Allshare on the PC does the same thing...works better to just use Windows Media Sharing via DLNA.

I just want it to be easy...I don't understand why it has to be so complicated and finnicky when people are giving these devices 9/10 but doing something this simple is such a mission.

Nharzhool

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
If you press the TV input (or source) button, aside from the usual list of analog and HDMI inputs, do you have a Screen Sharing "input" available?

If so, change to that input, and it will let you scan for devices. Turn on the Screen Mirror function on your S4, and your phone should appear in the available devices list on the TV. It should automatically connect. It might take two attempts (that's what have noticed).

Once it's connected, your TV will mirror your phone. If you play videos, your phone's screen will be black but the video will be on the TV in full-screen.

Yeah, we had to do something like that...I just find it retarded that I have to do that to get it to work (even then it is temperamental) on this $950 Samsung S4 when the "crappy" BB Z10 for $300 does it so very easily. It just frustrates me...

Also, the DLNA Server works so much better on the BlackBerry than the Samsung. I was expecting everything to be flawless on the S4 because my Smart TV is Samsung and it is all expected to work so nicely together...but NOPE.

Sorry if I seem annoyed...that's just because I am.

At least it is a pretty phone...I'm afraid of dropping it though because it is somewhat fragile.