"Samsung Updates" quirk

Jalamala

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. I've been having an issue with my S4 for the past few months and it's been driving me nuts.

Once a week, give or take, there is an icon in my notification bar for "Samsung Updates" saying that there are apps with updates available. When I tap the icon it vanishes but nothing ever happens. There is no way for me to manually open that app and I have no idea why it behaves that way or if it's an issue other users have encountered.

To my knowledge this has not caused any real issues with my phone and is simply an annoyance and a mystery to me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I've been having an issue with my S4 for the past few months and it's been driving me nuts.

Once a week, give or take, there is an icon in my notification bar for "Samsung Updates" saying that there are apps with updates available. When I tap the icon it vanishes but nothing ever happens. There is no way for me to manually open that app and I have no idea why it behaves that way or if it's an issue other users have encountered.

To my knowledge this has not caused any real issues with my phone and is simply an annoyance and a mystery to me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

It may be a conflicting data error for the updates. You can try clearing cache and see if it helps. Give this a try, it should work for the S4: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the exact same situation. It started after an update, maybe the 4.3. As far as I could tell, it was not doing either any good or any harm. I wasn't using any Samsung apps that I knew of anyway. Before taking any drastic steps, you could see if the following works for you as it did for me: From the Home screen, tap Menu > Settings > More > Application manager. Scroll to the right till you get the All column and let it populate. Scroll down to Samsung Updates, tap it, and tap the Turn off button. That will add it to your list of Turned off apps. After I did that, it never bothered me again, and I've had no problems with the phone.

Jalamala

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Clearing the cache from the recovery menu did not fix it, sadly. Instead I have simply disabled the app. Seems like a Samsung issue they need to fix with a phone update at some point.

Thanks for the replies guys!

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
If you had installed the Samsung Apps on your device, the 4.3 update killed it, so the notification doesn't have an active associated app to handle the Update notification action. So you need to re-install the Samsung Apps. You can do it from the following link...

Note: Open the link with the default browser, as it doesn't seem to play nice with Chrome.

Samsung Content & Services | About Us

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty