Why are there no phones that sync with Outlook anymore?

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I got this S4 because I was told that it syncs with outlook through Kies which it does not. Most business people use Outlook and I cannot figure out why phones do not support it. I need to sync my calander, contacts and expecially tasks. I do not want to pay a 3rd party for this. Has anyone found a resolution to this?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why are there no phones that sync with Outlook anymore?

Welcome to Android Central! The difficulty with Outlook syncing is nothing new. Google clearly would prefer that its customers transition to Google Contacts/Gmail/Calendar. The only way for you to sync with Outlook on your computer is by using 3rd party solutions--some of them are described in this article (although it's a little out of date): How To: Sync Android With Microsoft Outlook | PCMag.com

Personally, I was very glad to ditch Outlook for my personal use, since I think it's a slow monstrous behemoth that would slow down my computer. But I can understand the frustration if you need to use Outlook for work and need to sync.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I sync up with Outlook on my computer thru outlook.com on my note 2 using Samsungs stock email app using Exchange Active Sync. No third party. Totally Microsoft because I'm using office 2013 and have a outlook.com email address which means calendar, one note, Sky drive, and everything else. All thru Microsoft apps on my note 2 and I'm running on 4.3 jb.

73fe4158, yes I did it, anything else

redhdgirl417

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

My S4 syncs automatically using the standard email app and Outlook 2010 on computer, no issues.

Posted via Android Central App

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Take a look at "My Phone Explorer". It syncs to Outlook via USB, WiFi or Bluetooth. A client runs on the phone while the main program runs on the PC. Also can sync files between the PC and phone and ext sdcard--and more. Very satisfied user.

Artess

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Hi all. My Windows Phone broke down recently, so I'm thinking about buying the Nexus 5 (as there haven't been any breakthorughs on the WP front recently). One of the most important questions for me is the problem of syncing my contacts, calendar, etc. from Outlook (have been using them for some time now and am not going to move to Google, sorry). I've seen the official app called Outlook.com that Microsoft recommends. Can anyone tell me if it's the one that could solve all these troubles? Does it work well?

skramblr

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

I got this S4 because I was told that it syncs with outlook through Kies which it does not. Most business people use Outlook and I cannot figure out why phones do not support it. I need to sync my calander, contacts and expecially tasks. I do not want to pay a 3rd party for this. Has anyone found a resolution to this?

Download the latest Kies 3 software from Samsung. It will sync with Outlook. I've been doing it fine.

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I sync up with Outlook on my computer thru outlook.com on my note 2 using Samsungs stock email app using Exchange Active Sync. No third party. Totally Microsoft because I'm using office 2013 and have a outlook.com email address which means calendar, one note, Sky drive, and everything else. All thru Microsoft apps on my note 2 and I'm running on 4.3 jb.

73fe4158, yes I did it, anything else

Does this method sync tasks as well?

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Kies is only doing a 1 way sync from phone to computer. Samsung told me that and I looked for myself.

TOBusa

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Download the latest Kies 3 software from Samsung. It will sync with Outlook. I've been doing it fine.

Did you ever get the "outlook is not your default client" error? I can't get mine to work

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I am looking for tasks not onenote. I have looked at DejaOffice and you have to pay for that. I will not pay for something that should come with my phone.

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

does anyone knopw a free way to sync outlook with android Galaxy S4?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't have an answer for you, but you might get a better response if you start a new thread with your specific question.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

does anyone knopw a free way to sync outlook with android Galaxy S4?

I looked into this 2 years ago when i switched from Blackberry (which makes it very easy) to Android. There weren't any free options then either.
I use Touchdown for Smartphones. Works fantastic for email and calendar. Not so great for Tasks.
Hope that helps.

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond guys. Looks like I might have to buck up and pay which really chaps my ***. I will start a new thread first though. Thanks again for your help. Its greatly appreciated. Im a bit frustrated that I left blackberry. One more thing. Does this phone have just a normal ring tone? They all sound like alien ring tones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond guys. Looks like I might have to buck up and pay which really chaps my ***. I will start a new thread first though. Thanks again for your help. Its greatly appreciated. Im a bit frustrated that I left blackberry. One more thing. Does this phone have just a normal ring tone? They all sound like alien ring tones.

Hey, I did find this support page: How do I sync my Outlook contacts to my Device with Kies? : Cell Phones | Samsung. Have you tried syncing with Outlook using Kies?

You can find tons of ringtones (including classic telephone ring sounds) using various apps or websites. Zedge is a popular one.