Samsung Galaxy s4 still vibrating when getting sms notification, even though I'm on silent mode

pinkdolphi

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that when I get a text message in silent mode, my s4 still vibrates (stock phone running android 4.3). I've tried putting the phone into silent mode via 1. the left side volume rocker, 2. via the notification bar's volume button, 3. via the settings->my device->sound panel. Still get vibration.

Using the stock messenger app, I went to its settings->notification settings-> and unchecked the vibrate box. I *still* got text message vibrations when in silent mode.

I found 2 ways to not get vibrations (but they are both flawed):
1. phone settings->my device->sound->vibration intensity->then set notification intensity slider to 'nothing'. But then I don't get text message vibrations in 'vibrate' mode.... I *do* want the phone to vibrate when I specifically put it in vibrate mode....
2. in stock messenger app, settings-> uncheck notifications box. But then no status bar or lock screen notifications for new messages. I *do* want those visual notifications! Just not the vibrations when in silent mode.

Under settings->my device->sound, I've tried both checking and unchecking the 'vibrate when ringing' box. Still vibrates in silent mode.

Lastly, I tried turning on the blocking mode with the 'turn off notifications' box checked. Still get vibrations in mute mode.

I'm at a complete loss for what to do. Can't find solution online. Can anyone here please help me? Thanks in advance!!!
This issue is driving me crazy. I have to change the notification intensity slider for every class and meeting! Arrah!

Last edited:

Guy Howard

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my galaxy s5, new to me two weeks ago. Driving me crazy too, at night. I use the phone as a wakeup alarm, but may have to give that up. Really disappointing. Will forward a fix as soon as I find one, though I'm not too hopeful.

Guy Howard

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my galaxy s5, new to me two weeks ago. Driving me crazy too, at night. I use the phone as a wakeup alarm, but may have to give that up. Really disappointing. Will forward a fix as soon as I find one, though I'm not too hopeful.

pinkdolphi

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how things have changed with Android 4.4.4 on the s4 but I eventually turned off the samsung phone's notifications and downloaded the free app lightflow to give me my notifications. I went for the paid version of the app (cheap) and now I get sound, vibrate, and notification LED customization. I can have notifications repeat as many times as I want and can make the time intervals what I want. The app also allows one to change the notification LED (to something besides the stock blue and red) on the phone which is pretty cool - yay for having green and purple light for my notifications - set a different color for each app category!

Sucks that the problem hasn't been fixed for the s5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reahs