Galaxy S4: kitkat 4.4.2 is a horrible update

gavgreen

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Anyone had trouble with youtube playing in black and white, all other videos play in colour on my S4

Posted via Android Central App

nra_luke

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have not come across a single issue on my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 after the 4.4 update. Ive seen many with mostly battery issues. Mine sustains power perfectly fine, if not better than before. Anyone else out there from T-Mobile to back up my statement?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I have not come across a single issue on my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 after the 4.4 update. Ive seen many with mostly battery issues. Mine sustains power perfectly fine, if not better than before. Anyone else out there from T-Mobile to back up my statement?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Consider yourself lucky.

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what the talk is about SD card problems. I can take pictures that save to my SD card just fine, as well as move to folders I created on it. The only problem I had was the lockscreen would lag seriously, but restarting my phone resolved that issue.
Battery life seems about the same. There might be improvements, but if there are, they're not really noticeable. It does seem that the OS runs a bit smoother, but again, it's very minor.

SGH-1337M on the Rogers network.

Using my S4

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what the talk is about SD card problems. I can take pictures that save to my SD card just fine, as well as move to folders I created on it.

But are you using built-in apps or 3rd party apps to do that? The built-in camera and file explorer apps are "system" apps and aren't restricted; they can write anywhere. It's only 3rd party apps that are restricted to writing to one specific folder on the card. Plus looks like the developers have found a way around the problem for MEDIA files only. But other file types are still a problem.

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
But are you using built-in apps or 3rd party apps to do that? The built-in camera and file explorer apps are "system" apps and aren't restricted; they can write anywhere. It's only 3rd party apps that are restricted to writing to one specific folder on the card. Plus looks like the developers have found a way around the problem for MEDIA files only. But other file types are still a problem.

I use the stock camera, as well as a 3rd party app for photo editing called Pixlr Express.
Also, I use my phone like a thumb drive to transport Word files when Dropbox isn't available.
Maybe I just got lucky?? I find luck, however, doesn't apply as often as we give it credit for.
I'll try installing a game or app to it later to test that.

Using my S4

JeromeJ

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Has anyone faced a wifi problem since upgrading to 4.4.2? every time I try and turn on the wifi setting it goes very dim green, like it's turning on and then just goes back to being completely greyed out. This is absolutely unacceptable Samsung. I just received my phone back from repair today because my GS4 wasn't reading my sim card for about a month (I was trying to live with it but just couldn't bear it anymore) and the day I get my phone back after using a problem ridden GS3 and waiting 2 weeks for my GS4 to come back from repair I gotta deal with this!?!? This is ridiculous. Now I actually work in the cellular sales industry and I'm just thinking to myself *I can't wait to go into work tomorrow and hear/ deal with these "great advances" Samsung has done to the S4*

Anyway, Now that my rant is done (haha) does anyone have any advice/help I can do to fix this problem?!?!?!?

- Yes I have restarted my phone literally about 100x since I've gotten the phone back.
- Yes I have tried the whole "Pull battery out while phone is turned on, wait two minutes then put it back in and turn on"

I really do not want to do another factory reset as I've read on many forum sites today that many are trying that and factory resets are not working for them. So I don't wanna do a factory reset to have to kill my data plan just to re download a whole bunch of apps back on my phone.

please please please any help is greatly appreciated

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how many people did OTA updates and are having issues, and how many are not? I did my 4.4.2 update through Kies. No issues since and many improvements

SGH-I337M, rockin the Great White North on Telus

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Just saw some news that 4.4.3 is just around the corner and in testing phase at Google. There could be light on the horizon for some.

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how many people did OTA updates and are having issues, and how many are not? I did my 4.4.2 update through Kies. No issues since and many improvements

I did mine OTA, no problems here.

Using my S4

itekweni

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to this dreaded 4.4.2 and am very sorry I did because like everyone I have the sd card problem where apps are no longer working and I spoke to Samsung support and they recommended a factory rest might solve it but I am reluctant to do this because its not only me complaining but everyone who has upgraded...unfortunately there is no way to downgrade without rooting the phone and this is a road I do not wish to go down...I am very angry because i own the phone it was bought outright and not through a carrier and I am being dictated to by the operating supplier as to what i can run on the device which being the Galaxy S4 LTE has a very small internal memory and boosts about the size SD card you can use which now has become useless so if anyone knows how to get this SD card problem sorted I would appreciate it if you were kind enough to share it with me...thanks in advance

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the ATT SGH-I337. It's now been 11 days since I've been on 4.4.2. I did my upgrade OTA, up from 4.3, which I had been on maybe a month or so by that time. I backed up everything, took screenshots of my homescreens, etc, removed the SD card, did a factory re-set, then did the OTA upgrade, then factory reset again. Over the next day I made sure to periodically pull the battery and leave it out for at least a minute or two, then put it back in, just to make sure. Since then I've only had that one issue with the blank screen, which I rebooted afterwards, and haven't seen it since. I've also seen my battery life increase significantly! Check this out!
Screenshot_2014-03-25-17-28-06.jpg
That's 35 hours! I pulled it off the charger yesterday morning, let it stay unplugged all night, it was about 50%, popped it on the charger for the 10 minutes I ate breakfast, (that explains the little bump in the middle), and then took this screenshot a few minutes after getting home from work, just before popping it on the charger. Before the upgrade I would be somewhere around 40% by the end of the evening, so I would pop it on the charger. I used it as I would normally today. Some phone calls, some emails, some texts, some IM, web surfing, and uploading and downloading pics to my google drive. So I have to admit, I'm very surprised that there are so many problems. I even have about 50 apps that I've installed via the Play Store. I still think that doing a factory re-set both prior and after the OTA update as well as pulling out the SD card during the upgrade is what worked for me. I know I used to do that on my old Blackberries when I used to update the OS's on those, and it always worked fine.

capT

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Updated my S4 to KitKat yesterday, haven't had any of the issues mentioned here, however there's this lockscreen bug that if I unlock my phone, I'll get a split second view of my home screen wallpaper fading out even if I locked my phone whilst being in an app. My home screen and lockscreen wallpapers differ of course. I've narrowed it down to my music players (the stock one and Google Play Music), whenever I play music and the music player control widget would be on my lockscreen, I don't see the bug anymore. Really annyoing.. :'(

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Updated my S4 to KitKat yesterday, haven't had any of the issues mentioned here, however there's this lockscreen bug that if I unlock my phone, I'll get a split second view of my home screen wallpaper fading out even if I locked my phone whilst being in an app. My home screen and lockscreen wallpapers differ of course. I've narrowed it down to my music players (the stock one and Google Play Music), whenever I play music and the music player control widget would be on my lockscreen, I don't see the bug anymore. Really annyoing.. :'(

I have that now on 4.3. I get a split second view of my home screen wallpaper sometimes. Not apps--just wallpaper. It's only an eyeblink. I stopped paying attention to it.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It appears for an eyeblink--literally just a flash--when the password dialog box for the lockscreen is loading after the phone being locked and screen is off. That's the only place I notice it. I frankly don't recall the lockscreen = music issue, but note that I use PowerAmp which may not work quite the same way as the stock player. I use a custom wallpaper for each (different) and I always thought it might have something to do with the delay in the lockscreen wallpaper loading since it is a relatively large photo compared to a stock item or nothing at all. But I've not tested that and frankly I don't find much of an issue.