GTi9500 Battery Drain Issue

Kamran Hassan

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Dear experts,

Once again i seek your guidance..I'm really getting sick of androids and probably shift to the dreaded iphone now.

Phone state:
GPS off
Mobile data off
Wifi - off when in sleep
All motion sensors are off
All location services including google's are also off
(whats the point of having all these off if i have these available)
Still getting excessive battery drain. Sometimes phone is warm to the touch even when not being used.
Used battery stats to check whats up but i dont know what its telling me. Please view the screen shots and guide.

Also noticed that when i set the phone to sleep at night with wifi..then battery drain is less and if wifi is kept off, then battery drain is more. And its always the "Android OS" ..HELP!
Screenshot_2014-03-18-15-41-23.jpgScreenshot_2014-03-18-15-41-32.jpgScreenshot_2014-03-18-15-41-43.jpgScreenshot_2014-03-18-15-41-58.jpgScreenshot_2014-03-18-15-42-20.jpgScreenshot_2014-03-18-15-42-41.jpg

Kamran Hassan

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Sanjay... I have my sync schedule set to PUSH for hotmail and its off for gmail. Not using any 3rd party apps for emails or sms.

Posted via Android Central App

Szajda78

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well push service drain batteri. And by the way the iPhone 5s has Even worse battery then S4. I know because I have iphone too. I have Samsung Note 3 and push on an it's drining my batter like hell.

Skickat fr?n min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It looks like there's a lot of sync activity going on. You might try going to Data usage in Settings, tapping on the menu button on the bottom left of the phone to bring up the advanced menu, then make sure that "Auto sync data" is NOT checked; if it is checked, tap the box to un-check it so it will be turned off. See if that makes a difference in the Android OS battery usage (it really makes a difference on my phone).

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
What version are you using ? 4.2.x or 4.3.x or 4.4.x ?

Perform all steps below and try to use the phone for half day and give me feedback : (Every step is important because I searched for wakelocks when I was on 4.3 update before and many things worked for me , Right now on 4.4 , I don't even have battery issues)

Disable google now and clear playstore/play services cache.
Go to Wifi >> advanced >> uncheck all boxes/turn off everything except " keep wifi during sleep" (set it to "always").
Disable/Uninstall ALL of the battery savers , Anti-Virus , Task killer apps (I strongly recommend this)
Settings >More > Storage > Cached data (clear it off)
Remove battery completely off-the device for 5 minutes and put it back.
Don't clear RAM or kill apps constantly.If you want to launch another app , simply press home button and then launch another app.Let all the apps build their cache properly and Android system itself manages everything.

Last edited:

Kamran Hassan

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Running 4.3 and waiting for 4.4..Also would like to mention that i flashed 4.3 as some how my phone got a bad root and status went to 'custom'. This battery drain was not present before. Only after i re-flashed 4.3. I will try the above. Not turning wifi off or smart screen as those are not the issues.
Have no battery savers , Anti-Virus or Task killer apps
wont this step "Go to Wifi >> advanced >> uncheck all boxes/turn off everything except " keep wifi during sleep" keep wifi on during sleep and consume more battery? i have it set to 'never'.
Ill try clearing cached data and remove battery and revert back.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
wont this step "Go to Wifi >> advanced >> uncheck all boxes/turn off everything except " keep wifi during sleep" keep wifi on during sleep and consume more battery? i have it set to 'never'.

Yes , true.I charge my device everyday.If you want to squeeze out two day battery life or 1.5 day battery life , then that option can help to save battery life to a certain extent but the problem is background tasks or cache will be suffering a lot which degrades the performance.

107946d1394815591t-my-battery-horrible-screenshot_2014-03-14-05-50-52.jpg

107947d1394815605t-my-battery-horrible-screenshot_2014-03-14-05-50-45.jpg

I had Wifi turned on for like 15-16 hours (see the blue bar at the bottom near Wifi) , which didn't effect the battery life much.
Why turn off that feature and degrade performance (i.e background tasks/caching) when its not going to give considerable benefit ?

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 109032Tried ur instructions.. So far so good.. I think clearing the play cache worked. Android os is still on top though.
Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

I will post my recent screenshots :

Screenshot_2014-03-22-11-44-42.jpg

Screenshot_2014-03-22-11-44-29.jpg

What is the screen time for the above screenshot you posted ? What I observed is that if I use more screen time , Android OS is reducing.
It looks like our phones are building cache when they stay idle for long.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-22-11-44-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-22-11-44-36.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 20

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if you've found a solution, but I was struggling with the same issue. Android OS was always +60% draining my battery, it would never last +14 hours even when idle most of the time. I tried everything, I made several threads here and no one could help me. I figured out that my phone was being kept "awake" by this wakelock l2_hsic. After trying several different kernels, modems, ROMs, nothing worked. Until I flashed a 4.2.2 version ROM, now my Galaxy S4 lasts 24 hours minimun, even if I use it moderately. The most it has lasted was 1d 19h. I don't know if this will help at all in your case but I just thought I'd share. Good luck!

Also, turning off sensors, GPS, location services (the many different things people always suggest to turn off) didn't help at all. Now I have all those things on and my battery life is fine, they aren't the problem.

Kamran Hassan

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't remember the screen time but you are correct..more screen time reduced the android OS percentage.
@dickharper..my worries started when i flashed my phone with 4.3..i had to cause some app did a bad root on my phone.
Wondering when ill get the kitkat..hopefuly it should solve the battery issue..but im concerned about the SD card problem attached with kitkat.

bradley263

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
hi there, i have a s4 and i do not know if it has been happening since the new 4.4.2 update but my battery chargers to 100% fine then it drops a percent every 2 or 3 minuets and then it drops like 2% at a time.
does any body know whats wrong?
Thanks for your time in reading this

Kamran Hassan

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
hi there, i have a s4 and i do not know if it has been happening since the new 4.4.2 update but my battery chargers to 100% fine then it drops a percent every 2 or 3 minuets and then it drops like 2% at a time.
does any body know whats wrong?
Thanks for your time in reading this

Hi Bradley..make sure your
wifi sleep policy is set to 'never'
location services are off ... apps ask you to turn them on whenever needed
GPS is off
Google settings - location services and location reporting - off
Motion sensors etc - off
live wallpapers - off
email push service is set to manual

These are just some of the basics for reducing battery consumption..if you are already following these and still getting battery drain, then you are in the same boat as myself..although my issue is somewhat resolved, you'll need to down load a battery monitoring app to find out whats draining your phones battery.

Cheers..

ambient29

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I used to root my Samsung S3 phone with different types of custom roms but most of them drained out my S3 bsttery fast. Due to this experience, I'm scared to root my Samsung S4 which is still in it's original rom and already updated to 4.4.2. When I looked at your screen shots, I kept wondering why your android OS was so high. I was thinking perhaps it was due to your phone being rooted? Is it because most custom roms drain battery faster than original roms? My S4's battery lasts much longer than my S3. I can put aside my phone with the wifi on and battery at 100% when I sleep. When I wake up, the battery is around 98%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty