Trying to figure out why I am having so much problem connecting to the internet

Larry Virden

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with ATT as the service provider.
I am having a LOT of problems connecting to the internet.
For instance, 30% or more of the time, when the indicators show a strong signal, the S4 tells me that I am off line. I have plenty of minutes on the data plan. The phone is configured to use those minutes. However, too many times, it won't connect and so far I have not figured out how to get the device to tell me _why_ it won't connect.

Then, there are the wifi problems. There are times when the phone connects cleanly and things seem lke they are working nicely. Then there are times when the phone won't connect even when I have indicated it should. Or it tries locating the IP address and never finds it. Or it tells me the signal isn't strong enough, even though the wifi indicator shows a very high level and the owner of the router tells me that the router is generating a strong fast signal.

It seems useless to pay for a data plan when the phone won't consistently stay connected.
I would understand if I lived or frequented locations so far from civilation that there are no cell towers. But I am in the state capital, with lots of cell towers. I have asked people with other kinds of phones and they indicate they don't see the same problems I do. In fact, the one person I know for certain has a similar phone - we bought them on the same day at the same location - says that his Galaxy S4 does not act like this.

I have been told that it might help if I have the phone reset to the factory settings.
I would love to do this. But so far, I haven't figured out how to make certain that I can get back to these settings after the reset.

I would appreciate help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The first place I'd start is to speak with AT&T, and tell them (or better yet, show them) your problems. They might give you a replacement SIM card to see if that helps.

In terms of wifi issues, review this guide and see if any of the tips help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Factory reset would be a last resort. Before you did that, I'd try booting into Recovery and clearing the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty