Why won't Maps use Samsung TTS Voice?

space_burglar

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Maps won't use Samsung TTS Voice

I see other people have this problem but can't find the actual fix. Suddenly today (perhaps there was a Maps update overnight) my Galaxy S4 will not use the English (US) voice that it usually does. I've done what I think I should do, which is to check that the Samsung engine is selected via Settings>language & input>preferred TTS engine. The English (US) voice pack is installed. I even installed English (UK) voice to try to switch to that. Either way the Samsung engine is definitely selected, the example plays correctly but Google Maps continues to use the Google English US voice. I also tried rebooting the phone.
Ideas? Reasons? Anything to help would be appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Maps won't use Samsung TTS Voice

Did you keep a backup of the app before the update (you should back up all apps, just for this reason)? Uninstall Maps and reinstall the backup.

If not, look for an earlier version and install it.

Keep automatic updates turned off. Now that I know that there's a problem with the latest update in Maps (thank you), I'm not updating mine, until I find out that they fixed the update. I use Maps all the time, and I want the voice working.

space_burglar

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Rukbat. I don't back up apps so can't reinstall? How do I find an earlier version? I guess I'd like to know when Maps is goign to address the bug, assuming this IS a bug?

space_burglar

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

P.S. I found a solution. You can try go to settings->App Manager-> All-> google-text-to-speech and disable it. It asked me if I wanted to restore factory voice and I said 'OK'. So now the Samsung TTS is being used. Apparently once you've done that you can reinstall 'google-text-speech', if you need to. By the way, the new Maps app is probably worth getting - I think the interface is a bit nicer.

space_burglar

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

OK the problem has returned and worse. Now Maps won't use Samsung TTS again. The google-text-to-speech app has disappeared so I can't disable it. AND now Maps doesn't say street names, just directions e.g. in 600 metres turn left, turn right. What's up?

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm note sure this is related but I'll tell you my Google Maps story.
I got my Note 4 early December. The Google Maps was working perfectly including turns with spoken street names.
I had recently noticed that it was no longer speaking the street names but I couldn't pinpoint when it stopped doing so.
After trying many of the solutions offered here and other sites, nothing worked to resolve the issue.
Last night I reset the phone, wiping everything and starting from scratch.
The first thing I checked was to make sure voice guidance with spoken street names was working, and it was.
Then I ran the Map update. Version 9.2.0 of December 16 2014.
Immediately noticed the spoken street names wasn't working. I had not reinstalled any other apps or updates at all. The phone was clean.
I uninstalled the Map update and it's working right again.

I will wait and update Google maps when they release a version that works properly on the Note 4.

Cheers

Posted via the Android Central App

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I am still having this issue with Google Maps on my Bell SG Note4.

If I install any if the Maps updates since Dec 2014, I lose spoken street names during navigation.

If I uninstall the map update it's fine.

I have done factory resets and multiple TTS files and updates always using US for default language. Nothing works.

Getting annoyed by this. I would like to have the latest GM installed but not without spoken street names.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non