Galaxy S4 has poor battery life, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S4 Poor battery life

Hi all, I have the i9500, about two years old. Battery can't hold a charge, GSam reports up to 90% is used by apps (abnormally high, I know, the 2014 Moto X I have reaches about 30-50). Android OS is often the highest drainer. Battery's bad as long as I can remember it, but I think it was worse following the KitKat update, and Lollipop's further worsened it. Running 5.0.1. Last factory reset in April. Last battery swap in February or March, can't remember, but it was fairly recent. Non-rooted. To help pinpoint the cause, I screen recorded every settings screen on the phone, and you can also see what apps I have. Add this to the end of YouTube's normal address (can't post links yet): HXQ-UuYDD6Y

Any help is appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Poor battery life

Welcome to Android Central! You should be able to post screenshots, since they aren't links: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

If your battery is two years old it should probably be replaced! These new batteries are amazing but do go bad after 500 to 600 charges!

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Screenshot_2015-06-16-19-48-35.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-16-19-48-39.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-16-19-48-45.jpg
Cell standby didn't appear as a consumer on the list, so I can't show you that I'm afraid.

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

If your battery is two years old it should probably be replaced! These new batteries are amazing but do go bad after 500 to 600 charges!

It's already been replaced twice. Both previous batteries swelled up and lasted about a year each.

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! You should be able to post screenshots, since they aren't links: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Also, here's GSamScreenshot_2015-06-16-20-31-19.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-16-20-31-22.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

A swollen battery is a failing battery, so I would wonder if your source for batteries might be unreliable. Also, to prolong your battery's overall lifespan, avoid deep discharges (i.e., letting it drain until it shuts down)--make it a habit to recharge when the battery hits 30-40%. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ng-lithium-polymer-batteries.html#post4271880

The main thing I can see from your battery stats is that the steeper drain seems to occur when your cell signal is red. Poor cell signal eats up battery, so pay attention to how the signal is where you typically are.

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

A swollen battery is a failing battery, so I would wonder if your source for batteries might be unreliable. Also, to prolong your battery's overall lifespan, avoid deep discharges (i.e., letting it drain until it shuts down)--make it a habit to recharge when the battery hits 30-40%. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ng-lithium-polymer-batteries.html#post4271880

The main thing I can see from your battery stats is that the steeper drain seems to occur when your cell signal is red. Poor cell signal eats up battery, so pay attention to how the signal is where you typically are.

I buy them from different stores. The first one was part of the faulty batch of first batteries that Samsung acknowledged had a production issue, the second, I think, was fake (I bought one before I knew about the fact that that particular batch was faulty), but I'm quite sure this third one is original.

Even though signal is sometimes weak, you still can't forgive the fact that it only gets 2-3h of SOT. Meanwhile, my dad uses a Grand 2 with the same 2600 mAh battery (even if the screen is only 720p), it can get 6-7h of SOT on two full days. Android OS seems to be highest consumer, and traditionally, rogue apps or a particular setting is to blame. My point here is, anyone saw anything wrong with the config of my phone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQ-UuYDD6Y

That's a screen record of me going through my phone.