Samsung S4 - Can't send SMS - Maybe deleted something important. How can I do a Factory Reset?

Mark Goertzen

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Samsung S4 - Can't send SMS - Maybe deleted something important

Hi. My gf has the S4 Kitkat on Bell Canada and said she said she deleted about 3 apps but doesn't know what apps. She thinks 1 may have had something to do with messaging.

I already checked and the Message Center number is the same as my phone.

I tried safe mode, no dice.

Any suggestions before I back everything up and do factory reset?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung S4 - Can't send SMS - Maybe deleted something important

Check the APN against Bell Canada's. (Assuming Bell Mobility is Bell Canada, see this page.)

Mark Goertzen

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

Her APN is the same as my phone (which works). APN is same as in your link except these are not set (on both phones)

Proxy: not set
Port: not set
MMS Proxy: not set
MMS Port: not set

Mark Goertzen

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The S4 is still on KitKat Android cuz it's rooted and never got around to unrooting it so that Android OS update will work.

My Q is, if I do this, will an OS update fix/replace anything that may have been deleted that is critical for SMS? Or must I do factory reset?

Thx

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you deleted something, a factory reset will not fix it. All a factory reset does is remove anything you've added. It doesn't add things you've removed.

If you reflash the stock ROM (see SamMobile Firmwares - we have a tutorial at [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN), that should both get SMS working again, and allow the phone to update. (Flashing isn't difficult, it's boring, except for that scary 5 or 10 minutes it takes for the first restart when you wonder if you broke your phone. Then it restarts and you realize that next time you should have the TV on to have something to do.)