new galaxy s21 only vibrates after a factory reset. what do i do?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i have had my S21 for about six weeks. it has never vibrated for messages or calls...only haptic feedback works. today i finally got on the phone with samsung support. in addition to the numerous fixes i tried before contacting support they had me try the following...

they had me wipe the cache partition which did not work.

they had me start up in safe mode. they said the diagnostic tools in the samsung members app would work. they did not.

then they had me do a factory reset. and vibration worked! but only immediately after the reset. once i began restoring the device, vibrate stopped working again.

what do i do now? will they replace it? or is it up to me to somehow determine what is causing the problem?

thank you!

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
i have had my S21 for about six weeks. it has never vibrated for messages or calls...only haptic feedback works. today i finally got on the phone with samsung support. in addition to the numerous fixes i tried before contacting support they had me try the following...

they had me wipe the cache partition which did not work.

they had me start up in safe mode. they said the diagnostic tools in the samsung members app would work. they did not.

then they had me do a factory reset. and vibration worked! but only immediately after the reset. once i began restoring the device, vibrate stopped working again.

what do i do now? will they replace it? or is it up to me to somehow determine what is causing the problem?

thank you!
Sounds like you added an app back in that is causing a conflict. Try what Mustang said

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
In safe mode it works?

i didn't know how to test it in safe mode. i went to the samsung members app to use the diagnostic tools but it was greyed out. how would i test in safe mode? put it in safe mode when i am with a friend who can text or call me? sorry, i'm a bit of a luddite.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i didn't know how to test it in safe mode. i went to the samsung members app to use the diagnostic tools but it was greyed out. how would i test in safe mode? put it in safe mode when i am with a friend who can text or call me? sorry, i'm a bit of a luddite.
Long press the power button then on the display it will say power off long press it until boots into safe mode , to exit out safe mode just restart device

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Long press the power button then on the display it will say power off long press it until boots into safe mode , to exit out safe mode just restart device

i just had my girlfriend call me and send me a gmail while in safe mode. neither one caused the phone to vibrate although vibrate was selected in the quick panel. i am not sure i understand what safe mode does. is there anything else i should try?

thanks for your help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i just had my girlfriend call me and send me a gmail while in safe mode. neither one caused the phone to vibrate although vibrate was selected in the quick panel. i am not sure i understand what safe mode does. is there anything else i should try?

thanks for your help.
In safe mode it turns if any 3rd party apps or applications that might cause this , so if it happens in safe mode go to settings >sounds and vibration > volume> is all sliders up.? And in that menu is call vibration on ?Screenshot_20220219-122439_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20220219-122545_Settings.jpg

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
In safe mode it turns if any 3rd party apps or applications that might cause this , so if it happens in safe mode go to settings >sounds and vibration > volume> is all sliders up.? And in that menu is call vibration on ?View attachment 341703View attachment 341704

ah i'll try again when my girlfriend is back. i only selected vibrate in the quick panel.

but like you said, with safe mode i could not use whatsapp or other 3rd party apps. am i meant to delete all 3rd party apps, restart my phone, add one app at a time testing vibrate each time until it hopefully works again? seems hugely time consuming. :(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
ah i'll try again when my girlfriend is back. i only selected vibrate in the quick panel.

but like you said, with safe mode i could not use whatsapp or other 3rd party apps. am i meant to delete all 3rd party apps, restart my phone, add one app at a time testing vibrate each time until it hopefully works again? seems hugely time consuming. :(
If it worked in safe mode then remove couple apps at a time

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i just received the phone back from samsung repair. in order to prevent bringing the problem back, am i meant to reinstall apps one at a time until i find the one that prevents the phone from vibrating?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you send the phone in only for that vibration issue? Did they identify a problem? If it was a true hardware issue, then it shouldn't matter which apps you install.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
yes, only for vibration since the phone is practically new...

they said no problem detected (vibrate did work for me immediately after a system wipe) and that the software was updated? i'm worried now that i'll bring the problem back reloading all my apps and nova launcher.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29