new to android custom rom questions

Bobby Williams4

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
As the title states I am new to the android platform. I recently came to the GS5 from the iPhone 5. I absolutely love this new phone, but I'm ready to really see what the device is able to do. I have the device rooted, and have been looking for a good custom ROM that will remove all the bloatware, both sprint and Samsung bloat. When using CF-Auto-Root I saw that it required the version to complete. As I have the Sprint variant the SMG900P version is what was required. Now while looking for a good custom ROM everything I have found is for the SMG900F variant. I am afraid to move forward until I checked with this community on the specifics of what I must do. I do not want to do something that may brick the device, or anything other rendering the device unusable. so the next few questions are what I am seeking answers for.

1. When flashing CWM or TWRP, does the phone version number effect the version I use ie. SMG900p is my device but can only find SMG900F files?

2. Being a new user of the android platform, what is a recommended custom ROM to use? I understand what I want to do with the device dictates this recommendation. I am interested in removing Carrier/Samsung bloatware, and increase device performance. Having the device since launch day, it is already running slower then expected and freezing occasionally when doing simple tasks such as web browsing, this is not related to internet service as the device won't respond when trying to lock or stop the operation. I do also enjoy some of the features the phone has such as the camera app, and the Samsung options included in the camera app.

I'm sure more questions will come up as I get going on this, luckily this community seems very helpful and I look forward to getting input form season users of the forums, and the Android OS.

liqrisquicker28

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Just an update. I ended up doing some more research, and decided to take the plunge. I got philz recovery on the phone, then later decided to try twrp, which at the end of the day, I decided I liked more possibly because of the full touch gui. The I found a tweaked 900p custom rom over at xda which I flashed. Long story short, it did as I wantes removed the bloatware and helped to increase performance. It does remove some bloat I would have liked to keep, such as the smart remote app, but more importantly It removes the s5 accuweather app which I like the widget for that better then anything else ive found in the play store.I also replaced the touchwiz launcher with Nova, and after 10 minutes purchased the nova prime as it is a much more functional with the full customization, and imo better looking launcher then touchwiz. Im still on the hunt for a good tethering solution as immnot sure this custom rom has undetectable tethering built in. Anyone else running this custom rom?

Julio Salamanca

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Just an update. I ended up doing some more research, and decided to take the plunge. I got philz recovery on the phone, then later decided to try twrp, which at the end of the day, I decided I liked more possibly because of the full touch gui. The I found a tweaked 900p custom rom over at xda which I flashed. Long story short, it did as I wantes removed the bloatware and helped to increase performance. It does remove some bloat I would have liked to keep, such as the smart remote app, but more importantly It removes the s5 accuweather app which I like the widget for that better then anything else ive found in the play store.I also replaced the touchwiz launcher with Nova, and after 10 minutes purchased the nova prime as it is a much more functional with the full customization, and imo better looking launcher then touchwiz. Im still on the hunt for a good tethering solution as immnot sure this custom rom has undetectable tethering built in. Anyone else running this custom rom?

Which custom rom are you using with sprint? Im trying to get the download booster on my spring s5.. I have installed the omega rom but i cant get text messages to send and lte is not working.. is it working with you rom?

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
the omega rom is not for the sprint variant I believe it is for Verizon therefore you cant make it work and you will not get signal or send texts/calls the moar rom is excelent

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been using SlimKat on my Nexus 4 for ages. I decided to check out a few Lollipop ROMs when it was first released (including stock) but wasn't particularly impressed due to the lack of additional features I was used to coming from CM and SlimKat, recently I decided to take a look at the current Liquidsmooth ROM nightly based on an XDA Developer review I saw on YouTube and am happy with it so far.

There's a version for the S5 as well, I suggest you give it a try:

LiquidSmooth.Net - Android Development

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty