Does anyone anywhere have a file or procedure to root exactly 5.0, build LRX21T. G900PVPU3BOG1?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Try as I might, I can't seem to find any Odin or other file that will allow me either to root my phone directly, or downgrade it to KitKat, which would make it easier to find such a file. So far, I've been well satisfied by Lollipop and would ultimately like to flash a Lollipop based custom ROM. There seem to be available downloads that will allow you to do that in one step, but they only work if your current OS <> 5.0. If you have 4.4.x your covered, and if you have 5.1 you're golden. But with 5.0 you're SOL, unless you have the release build. If you've installed the Stagefright patch and have build version LRX21T. G900PVPU3BOG1, you can't use this.

Meanwhile, I've tried several of the Sprint S5 KitKat downgrade files at sammobile, but after three failed tries, I'm not sure it's worth the bother of another five-hour download.

So how else can I get downgraded or rooted? I wouldn't mind just keeping the phone as it is, but not being able to use Titanium Backup is inconvenient, to put it nicely.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
ETA: The KitKat downgrade files have all been throwing this error in Odin, almost immediately on starting.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> G900PVPU1ANK4_G900PSPT1ANK4_G900PVPU1ANK4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Every time I see your name, I remember this bit about the Buns Of Steel exercise tapes I once saw on some late night sketch show--probably SNL. People were leaning against or sitting down on whatever, and every time their butts came into contact there'd be a loud "clank".

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I ran this a couple of hours ago, and it worked just fine. I am now rooted and can run Titanium; so far everything appears to be working as expected.

For others looking to root this phone and the build I specified in the title, this did work for me even though, in the thread linked to above, I didn't see this model variant (g900p) listed with the others in the OP. I went ahead anyway because I knew that I had seen our device specified elsewhere as being rootable by this file. Likewise, I've seen links to Chainfire's Sprint S5 auto root file on other websites with warnings that it's only for vanilla Lollipop, i.e. before the Stagefright patch, but evidently those other websites need to update their textual content. If you get the right file, like from ironass' link, it should work for you as well.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Gents,

I tried a couple of times to respond to your PM, but when I hit "Submit" my drafts simply vanished and did not appear in my Sent folder. The TL;DW version of what I tried to respond with is this: Simply follow ironass's link in post #9 above, which takes you to an XDA-Developers forum thread, and read the instructions there. In post #3 of that thread there are a half-dozen download links for most of the major carrier variants of the S5, one of these will take you Chainfire's download page for your S5 carrier variant. Be aware that when you go to the download page, you will need to go all the way down to the bottom to find the actual link. The file names and numbers you see are merely download stats, but they do kind of look like links. That's probably why you're having trouble.

Again, these links do not work for similarly branded models like the S5 Mini, S5 Active, and so on.

Also, note that rooting stock in 5.0 doesn't provide nearly as much lattitude in configuring your device as in earlier versions.

Thinair1911

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Is there any chance of turning off the "Update" splash screen on my G900VVRU1ANK7? I am afraid that I will hit the install now button in error someday. Thanks for all your help on AC ether way.

kurwinston

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thinair1911, I started out this morning with the same question. I have a Boost SM-G900P. I found that if you tap the update notice you are taken to a 'registration' page which requires you to check a couple of boxes and tap 'Accept' before the update can be installed so it seems unlikely that you could update accidentally if yours works like mine. If you do not check the boxes your only other option offered is 'Later'. I tapped 'Later' and all update notices disappeared. You may want to go into settings/System Update and uncheck 'auto update'. Before I rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM (MOAR)I recall doing the same thing and then seeing somewhere later, 'Update postponed' but it was not obtrusive. I'm not sure where it showed up now, I think it was when I went to 'System Update' but I'm not seeing that now, with the present ROM.

Thinair1911

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Thinair1911, I started out this morning with the same question. I have a Boost SM-G900P. I found that if you tap the update notice you are taken to a 'registration' page which requires you to check a couple of boxes and tap 'Accept' before the update can be installed so it seems unlikely that you could update accidentally if yours works like mine. If you do not check the boxes your only other option offered is 'Later'. I tapped 'Later' and all update notices disappeared. You may want to go into settings/System Update and uncheck 'auto update'. Before I rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM (MOAR)I recall doing the same thing and then seeing somewhere later, 'Update postponed' but it was not obtrusive. I'm not sure where it showed up now, I think it was when I went to 'System Update' but I'm not seeing that now, with the present ROM.

This may or may not work with my G900VVRU1ANK7. Verizons systems seem to be very different than other ver of S5s.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo