My phone factory-reset itself. Data recovery chances?

Ladderjack

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
The main question:

I'm using an SM-G900V on Android 6.0.1 (build MMB29M.G900VVRU2DPF4) and have never rooted, ROM'd or bootloaded. My phone went through a factory reset yesterday and I want to try to recover application data and contacts from prior to the reset. What are my chances?

The details:

My phone started behaving unpredictably about 48 hours ago: several spontaneous reboots, screen staying on much longer than settings were configured for, sending myself e-mails with long strings of characters making dinosaur noises, launching apps I have never used. . .looked like my phone was receiving input I wasn't meaning to give it. Finally, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and it was just stuck at the Verizon splash screen for rebooting for over ten minutes. I pulled the battery and then replaced it. At that point, I may have pulled out my SD card. . .I didn't know where it was, I was not looking out for it and we can probably just assume it was lost at that point because it is gone now.

Shortly after I replaced my battery, I rebooted my phone and it prompted me for my language of choice and my name--the phone had factory reset. I would like to recover the data I lost but all of the third-party solutions need root. . .and according to the only solution I've seen out there so far, the solution requires reverting to a previous OS version, which will delete my data. So, looking for a miracle here, folks.

Thanks for any help.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The main question:

I'm using an SM-G900V on Android 6.0.1 (build MMB29M.G900VVRU2DPF4) and have never rooted, ROM'd or bootloaded. My phone went through a factory reset yesterday and I want to try to recover application data and contacts from prior to the reset. What are my chances?

The details:

My phone started behaving unpredictably about 48 hours ago: several spontaneous reboots, screen staying on much longer than settings were configured for, sending myself e-mails with long strings of characters making dinosaur noises, launching apps I have never used. . .looked like my phone was receiving input I wasn't meaning to give it. Finally, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and it was just stuck at the Verizon splash screen for rebooting for over ten minutes. I pulled the battery and then replaced it. At that point, I may have pulled out my SD card. . .I didn't know where it was, I was not looking out for it and we can probably just assume it was lost at that point because it is gone now.

Shortly after I replaced my battery, I rebooted my phone and it prompted me for my language of choice and my name--the phone had factory reset. I would like to recover the data I lost but all of the third-party solutions need root. . .and according to the only solution I've seen out there so far, the solution requires reverting to a previous OS version, which will delete my data. So, looking for a miracle here, folks.

Thanks for any help.

Hello and welcome to Android Central Ladderjack!

Sorry to learn that you are having problems. Take a look at post #2 of Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW! as this contains numerous methods for retrieving lost data and do not all require root.