Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google has nerfed SD Card support with Android 4.4+

This is something I'm not seeing mentioned anywhere, so I'll post it here.

If your device has user-accessible internal flash storage, your SD Card is a “secondary external storage device”.

What this means is that with KitKat, applications will no longer be able create, modify, or remove files and folders on your external SD card. As a for-instance, you can no longer use a file manager to copy files from your computer to the SD card over a network. This ability, which has existed since the beginning of Android, has been taken away.
    This seems to severely limit the utility of micro SD cards in anything running Android 4.4 and higher. I was very disappointed that Samsung opted to go with a very low (16 GB + Touchwiz) internal storage and offer the SD card as if it were some sort of solution. The market needs to move towards a 32 GB minimum, and Samsung is seriously hindering that. Did carriers in the US EVER get 32 GB versions? The article is below. If anybody can elaborate, that'd be great.

Default Re: Google has nerfed SD Card support with Android 4.4+

I strongly suspect that any manufacturer who wants to include SD card support will modify the OS to allow full support of that card. That's the benefit of open source. Samsung's S5, for example, supports 128GB cards. It seems unlikely they won't fully support it. They're going to have a whole lot of ticked off buyers, and returned phones, if they don't.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I strongly suspect that any manufacturer who wants to include SD card support will modify the OS to allow full support of that card. That's the benefit of open source. Samsung's S5, for example, supports 128GB cards. It seems unlikely they won't fully support it. They're going to have a whole lot of ticked off buyers, and returned phones, if they don't.
    What I read on Anandtech was that Samsung is specifically following Google's new restrictions. Interesting if true, and I was hoping somebody could shed more light on this. Maybe somebody with a current S4 (got rid of mine a while ago).
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post

This seems to severely limit the utility of micro SD cards in anything running Android 4.4 and higher. I was very disappointed that Samsung opted to go with a very low (16 GB + Touchwiz) internal storage and offer the SD card as if it were some sort of solution. The market needs to move towards a 32 GB minimum, and Samsung is seriously hindering that. Did carriers in the US EVER get 32 GB versions? The article is below. If anybody can elaborate, that'd be great.

At&t has the 32GB version of the S4. The problem isn't with Samsung not offering it. Its with not enough people buying them and the carriers not wanting to buy them and not be able to sell them.

Posted via Android Central App

If they dump sd support, which I doubt, 64gb better be entry level. I've had 32gb before and it's not enough without sd. I've received a few update that stated .....to work with KitKat.... so I'm assuming it's just a matter of devs and manufactures writing the code to make it work. One of them was file manager so I'm assuming sd support was what it was about. I still won't be updating my N3 until I hear the real world issues. I don't like going backwards in life and this will be a huge step in the wrong direction.

ATT N3

This has been in JB as well. Android does not support it but Samsung can write code to allow a file manager to access it.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

Angry Re: Google has nerfed SD Card support with Android 4.4+

Then why Samsung is offering 16GB in the first place? Given that half of the 16GB goes to OS+Touchwiz. I think Samsung is to be blamed for not offering 32GB as a minimum standard. And with the KitKat microSD limitations, the standard should rise to 64GB for high-end devices. And that goes to all Android manufacturers.
    mcm180 likes this.

What percentage of actual users need more than 10GB of storage? My wife is what I would consider a average user. She didn't come close to using the storage available on her s4 . It's cheaper for Samsung to just offer a 16 to the majority of people that don't even really look at specs. It's sad though because Samsung had become nothing more than a fast food company of cell phones. They are a well known product with massive advertising so they will always lead the pack but truth is that Samsung is bloated and behind in the times when it comes to storage and options available.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Premium1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post

Actually Samsung is selling 32gb S5s it's T-Mobile is selling it online when the phone comes out, and I'm sure Samsung has found a way to work around it, they usually do.

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

There will be a 32GB GS5 on all major US carriers, what will happen though is it will not ship for at least 3-4 weeks after the initial 16GB version launch if not longer given the issues Samsung has had with the fire at one of their partner facilities and the camera lens mfg issues. We could be seeing a delay in the 32GB version for 1-2 months instead of a few weeks. That is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    There will be a 32GB GS5 on all major US carriers, what will happen though is it will not ship for at least 3-4 weeks after the initial 16GB version launch if not longer given the issues Samsung has had with the fire at one of their partner facilities and the camera lens mfg issues. We could be seeing a delay in the 32GB version for 1-2 months instead of a few weeks. That is disappointing.
    This is most definitely disappointing. I was looking forward to getting this or the new One as soon as they were both in the market, but there's no way I'll be getting the 16gb version of this phone.

That will give me time to evaluate the upcoming Note 4. It just might be worth the wait.

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I plan on using the Verizon Edge option (maybe) which equates to me paying $10 a month for a phone which is the same as paying the 2 year contract fee up front. But I can just pay a bit more out of pocket in 6 months and trade up for the Galaxy Note 4 or keep it and trade in for the GS6 next year without any out of pocket money.

The Note 4 will take the camera, fingerprint sensor and a few tweaks to the Note software as well. I look forward to what Samsung can do for us with it. The hard part for me is do I get a Note 3 or Galaxy S5 now and trade up to the Note 4 in the fall. Decisions.

Don't understand this. I have a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2 and no problem with external memory. I have a very simple adaptor that allows me to connect a USB dongle or an SD card to the mini usb socket, it is labeled UsbDriveA even if there is an SD card on the end. The built - in SD card slot also works fine.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sorry - the built-in is of course a Micro SD!

My wifes s4 has 4.4.2 and her external sd works fine. I suspect there wont be any issues on the s5 or m8.

Custom roms likely added the support back in. I have read that will be the only way to do it. It sounds like the two previous post both run custom roms. Rooting more important than ever.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

You can download google play movies and music to the sd card. So I'm good.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    You can download google play movies and music to the sd card. So I'm good.

Sent from my SM-T32S using Tapatalk
    Is that true? That would be perfect because I can just download my thumbs up play list and other albums I need to the Sd card and save some space on the main storage.

Looks like its a good idea to wait for the 32 GB version then if you can't use SD cards to store stuff like music.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smalba View Post
    Is that true? That would be perfect because I can just download my thumbs up play list and other albums I need to the Sd card and save some space on the main storage.
    I can confirm this on the Note 3.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smalba View Post
    I dont know how it works, but I know you can pin movies and music to SD cards. I have been doing it on my Tab Pro 8.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    What percentage of actual users need more than 10GB of storage? My wife is what I would consider a average user. She didn't come close to using the storage available on her s4 . It's cheaper for Samsung to just offer a 16 to the majority of people that don't even really look at specs. It's sad though because Samsung had become nothing more than a fast food company of cell phones. They are a well known product with massive advertising so they will always lead the pack but truth is that Samsung is bloated and behind in the times when it comes to storage and options available.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Agree. Look how many people buy 16gb phones. Most don't load 10+gb of music, along with another 5gb of games. People are ok if they can take and save pictures and for majority of people, 16gb does that fine, which is why, believe it or not there is still 16gb around. And if you are going to bash. Moto still makes devices with 8gb of storage...

Quote Originally Posted by CannedBullets View Post
    Looks like its a good idea to wait for the 32 GB version then if you can't use SD cards to store stuff like music.
    You can use it for music. It is apps that are the tricky part. They still work fine for media like photos and music..

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I plan on using the Verizon Edge option (maybe) which equates to me paying $10 a month for a phone which is the same as paying the 2 year contract fee up front. But I can just pay a bit more out of pocket in 6 months and trade up for the Galaxy Note 4 or keep it and trade in for the GS6 next year without any out of pocket money.

The Note 4 will take the camera, fingerprint sensor and a few tweaks to the Note software as well. I look forward to what Samsung can do for us with it. The hard part for me is do I get a Note 3 or Galaxy S5 now and trade up to the Note 4 in the fall. Decisions.
    Well you pay the full price of the device rather than just the contract price. I just put it on my BB credit card and then make small payments each month. Pretty much the same thing, but I get to keep my phone, unlike what you do on the Edge program where you have to return the phone and then pay another fee each month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast