Galaxy S5 Needs more RAM.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the stupid question but how can you determine how much RAM is being used and how much is available?

(Edit) I figured it out. Just open Task Manager.

Last edited:

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
You can't compare both OS's in this case, the iPhone doesn't need much ram

Also, common sense says I shouldn't have 10 apps open? What am I supposed to do? Close every app the second in done with it then go back to my app draw when I want to use it? Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the stupid question but how can you determine how much RAM is being used and how much is available?

(Edit) I figured it out. Just open Task Manager.

Mini info widget or pressing recent app button and the lower left icon

-Sent from Tapatalk

stanford watts

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I use smart booster by antek before I was using up 1.56Gb worth no apps running and 1.71 gb with apps running now with apps running it's below 1.56 GB and after it clears and kills the app I'm down to 888 mb in used space try it might help you too

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-15-06-15-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-06-15-35.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2014-05-15-06-13-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-06-13-41.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 73

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I noticed my RAM is always at 75%+ full even with all processes stopped. I'm surprised they didn't add more memory when the OS processes require the majority of it. Just 1GB more would be nice. I'm closing apps regularly to ensure I don't max out, and I haven't experienced any lag issues. I guess I could try to overload it and see what happens. I don't mean to complain, I am just pointing out my thoughts. I still love the phone.
Your phone will not max out. Android will close things as needed. More RAM would give you no benefit with this phone. Closing apps does more harm than good. Free RAM does nothing for you. It is not being used.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
S3 LTE has 2gb Ram and is Quad core.

My s5 is laggy as hell, always freezing, Ive been trying the whole "let it fill up the memory its better" thing, well from what I can see about Android being great at managing memory, its not, its so much slower than my s3 LTE. The s5 needs more Ram.
You have something other than a RAM issue if your phone is laggy as hell. 2GB is just fine for this phone. I have zero lag as most ppl on this forum have zero lag. You probably have a bad app or one that is acting funny.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I had lag as well UNTIL I got rid of my ram booster, cache cleaner, anti virus etc. Now my phone is lag free. You probably are having a lag problem because you keep freeing up ram, it's the opposite of what you think. Free ram is wasted ram, and you want your cache as full as possible. I never thought a phone could be this fast, it's amazing.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, whatever the reason, the lagging is unacceptable on a 2014 flagship phone. I'm on the fence on returning mine (Verizon). It has lagged since it was taken out of the box.

This isn't 2011. I'm not OK with constantly clearing out RAM, restarts, or searching forums for solutions anymore.

To be clear, when I say "lag", I don't mean navigation or opening stuff is slow. I mean that when you select something there's a slight delay before it does anything, in many areas like Chrome and Facebook scrolling is choppy. The camera is often agonizingly slow to start up and capture, and the shortcut to it on the lockscreen is not very responsive at all. The answer/ignore buttons on the phone are not responsive either. It's often "I think I swiped it, did I swipe it, hmm, oh ok there it goes". There's more, but those are the ones that bug me the most. I think much of it is just a lot of sloppy or perhaps lazy programming in Touchwiz.

Last edited:

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, whatever the reason, the lagging is unacceptable on a 2014 flagship phone. I'm on the fence on returning mine (Verizon). It has lagged since it was taken out of the box.

This isn't 2011. I'm not OK with constantly clearing out RAM, restarts, or searching forums for solutions anymore.

To be clear, when I say "lag", I don't mean navigation or opening stuff is slow. I mean that when you select something there's a slight delay before it does anything, in many areas like IE and Facebook scrolling is choppy. The camera is often agonizingly slow to start up and capture, and the shortcut to it on the lockscreen is not very responsive at all. The answer/ignore buttons on the phone are not responsive either. It's often "I think I swiped it, did I swipe it, hmm, oh ok there it goes". I think much of it is just a lot of sloppy or perhaps lazy programming in Touchwiz.

STOP clearing your RAM, STOP clearing your cache. That is what is causing lag. After I got rid of my app killer, ram booster, cache cleaner and anti virus my phone became lag free and problem free. My phone now has ZERO delay. It's quicker than the blink of an eye, the moment you touch anything it instantly opens or closes. Camera is instant, gallery is instant, everything loads in in probably less than 1/10 of a second.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
STOP clearing your RAM, STOP clearing your cache. That is what is causing lag. After I got rid of my app killer, ram booster, cache cleaner and anti virus my phone became lag free and problem free. My phone now has ZERO delay. It's quicker than the blink of an eye, the moment you touch anything it instantly opens or closes. Camera is instant, gallery is instant, everything loads in in probably less than 1/10 of a second.

Thanks for the suggestion but I didn't start clearing stuff out until I had lag. I haven't found it makes a difference one way or the other. I'm not a heavy user and I don't have a lot of apps installed either.

It's not consistant, except the slight delay when selecting stuff that is always present. Stuff usually opens OK. But not all the time, and there are just random stutters here and there all over. Nothing horrible, but it becomes annoying.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but I didn't start clearing stuff out until I had lag. I haven't found it makes a difference one way or the other. I'm not a heavy user and I don't have a lot of apps installed either.

It's not consistant, except the slight delay when selecting stuff that is always present. Stuff usually opens OK. But not all the time, and there are just random stutters here and there all over. Nothing horrible, but it becomes annoying.

Are you sure you're not clearing the cache? That will cause lag. Since all of the apps I use are opened, it obviously is instant when I tap the icon, before when I was clearing cache, it had to open it from scratch and that takes a moment or two.,

If not, then something is wrong with your phone. I don't believe anyone when they say lag is normal, a hiccup here and there is normal. It's not.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Just checked mine and I have 776megs free. I have turned off a number of bloatware apps. I'm sure I can get more free but I don't seem to be having any problems as is so I'm fine with it. As mentioned, Linux handles memory management and would close out of programs that are running and haven't been accessed for the longest time to free up memory on the phone. I also don't play any graphically intense games on my phone anyway.

Rev.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I had lag as well UNTIL I got rid of my ram booster, cache cleaner, anti virus etc. Now my phone is lag free. You probably are having a lag problem because you keep freeing up ram, it's the opposite of what you think. Free ram is wasted ram, and you want your cache as full as possible. I never thought a phone could be this fast, it's amazing.

That is certainly the truth

-Sent from Tapatalk

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
That is certainly the truth

Letting things run makes no difference to me on my Verizon model. There is lag all over this thing. Hardly anything scrolls without stuttering outside of TouchWiz. YouTube videos are not smooth either. It constantly hesitates before doing anything. It's either a RAM problem or terrible programming skills by Samsung. Maybe it's both.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that people who claim there is no lag have never known better or there is a particular carrier version that runs better. Look at all the complaints, there must be a dozen or more threads about it here. It's real. The only question is whether or not you are bothered by it. It definitely bothers me when I compare it to my wife's Lumia Icon or my mom's MotoX. Again, this is still a fast phone, but don't confuse speed with smooth responsiveness.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Letting things run makes no difference to me on my Verizon model. There is lag all over this thing. Hardly anything scrolls without stuttering outside of TouchWiz. YouTube videos are not smooth either. It constantly hesitates before doing anything. It's either a RAM problem or terrible programming skills by Samsung. Maybe it's both.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that people who claim there is no lag have never known better or there is a particular carrier version that runs better. Look at all the complaints, there must be a dozen or more threads about it here. It's real. The only question is whether or not you are bothered by it. It definitely bothers me when I compare it to my wife's Lumia Icon or my mom's MotoX. Again, this is still a fast phone, but don't confuse speed with smooth responsiveness.

Dozens of complaints out of 10 million plus sold. No, not everyone is having a lag problem, if there's something wrong with your phone, identify it, exchange it, do something about it.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Dozens of complaints out of 10 million plus sold. No, not everyone is having a lag problem, if there's something wrong with your phone, identify it, exchange it, do something about it.

No, not dozens of complaints, dozens of threads discussing it just here on Android Central. And not just here, on every forum. And there are videos out there that show it and reviews that mention it. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not a perception thing and some people really don't have any lag on anything. But even if that's the case, you can't deny it's a known issue.

There is nothing "wrong" per se with my phone. The two demo units at my store did the same thing. Exchanging it for another S5, at least on Verizon, won't help, I'm pretty certain of that. I still do like the phone, so I haven't decided whether or not it bugs me enough to pay the restocking fee and go with something else. As I have said, the lag is not terrible. But it is undeniably there.

All this "clear your cache, don't clear your cache, disable animations, use a different launcher, uninstall this and that, etc" is not acceptable on a top end phone in 2014. But it's not necessarily a dealbreaker either.