WiFi problems affecting calls

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Just got my new S5. Generally very happy with it, but I seem to have a strange problem. If I have the WiFi turned on the phone does not receive incoming calls or text messages. When the WiFi is off it works perfectly. When people try to phone me with the WiFi on it says that the number is unavailable and to try later. I can however make outgoing calls on it with WiFI on or off.

I have a strong signal, and can be in the same place when making/receiving calls so it cannot be the signal. The only change is to alter the WiFi and turn it on or off.

Anyone else experienced this, or know of a fix?

Thanks

Andy

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Just got my new S5. Generally very happy with it, but I seem to have a strange problem. If I have the WiFi turned on the phone does not receive incoming calls or text messages. When the WiFi is off it works perfectly. When people try to phone me with the WiFi on it says that the number is unavailable and to try later. I can however make outgoing calls on it with WiFI on or off.

I have a strong signal, and can be in the same place when making/receiving calls so it cannot be the signal. The only change is to alter the WiFi and turn it on or off.

Anyone else experienced this, or know of a fix?

Thanks

Andy

I would call a Best Buy. Call and see what time the Samsung rep comes in. He has a Samsung display setup with Samsungs stuff.
Go there and talk with him.
He is the one to solve your problems and help you the best.

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I would call a Best Buy. Call and see what time the Samsung rep comes in. He has a Samsung display setup with Samsungs stuff.
Go there and talk with him.
He is the one to solve your problems and help you the best.

Tried taking it back to my service provider. They didn't have a clue. Do not know if it is an issue with the handset. Can I ask them to change it?

ssgokou29

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Tried taking it back to my service provider. They didn't have a clue. Do not know if it is an issue with the handset. Can I ask them to change it?

Who's your provider, i'm assuming not tmobile as they have the wifi calling feature

your "provider" should have a wifi network on, replicate the problem with them there and have them exchange it for you if they can't figure it out. Or if you're lucky enough to have a rep there with the same phone, tel lthem to try it. If it works for them and not you, it must be your phone.

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
The people in the store where I got it to not exactly fill me with any confidence. They did not seem to understand the phone or how to even start to investigate the problem.

ssgokou29

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The people in the store where I got it to not exactly fill me with any confidence. They did not seem to understand the phone or how to even start to investigate the problem.

I'd go to another store then, or you can try calling your customer care. You may still be within the store return policy. They key would be replicating in front of them.

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Having spent a couple of hours today on the phone to various tech people at my service provider I am not much further forward. They tried to fob me off by saying I should not expect to use the phone on a network and use it to receive calls at the same time! They then suggested I turn off data streaming and 3G. I found then that it works ok with WiFi on. So they suggested that what I want to use WiFi I turn this off every time and then turn it back on when not on WiFi. What a waste of time and effort. They did not seem to think that a brand new smart phone should just allow this to happen without me changing the settings all the time. My old S2 did this automatically, am I unreasonable to expect a new S5 to do it?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
With ATT one must turn off WiFi to sync with the ATT Address Book on the internet. An ATT tech confirmed that this is the way it works.

However, it does not affect telephone calls or messaging since they all go through the cell line. 4G LTE is only used for receiving radio broadcasts and uploading and downloading data.

In certain locations in my town 4G LTE does not work at all. I have not tried to run them with WiFi off so I don't know if that makes a difference.

All these electronic devices have specific peculiarities and we just have to learn what they are and work around them.

For example, my S5 has its bluetooth work fine for phone numbers in my car but mutes my S5 sound if I try to stream radio broadcast. That mute then requires a power down and power up for the S5 to get back its sound. Thus, I will just rely on my USB drive and Sirius XT in my car for music and radio listening. No techs can handle the 10's of thousands of peculiarities in these electronic gadgets.

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
With ATT one must turn off WiFi to sync with the ATT Address Book on the internet. An ATT tech confirmed that this is the way it works.

However, it does not affect telephone calls or messaging since they all go through the cell line. 4G LTE is only used for receiving radio broadcasts and uploading and downloading data.

In certain locations in my town 4G LTE does not work at all. I have not tried to run them with WiFi off so I don't know if that makes a difference.

All these electronic devices have specific peculiarities and we just have to learn what they are and work around them.

For example, my S5 has its bluetooth work fine for phone numbers in my car but mutes my S5 sound if I try to stream radio broadcast. That mute then requires a power down and power up for the S5 to get back its sound. Thus, I will just rely on my USB drive and Sirius XT in my car for music and radio listening. No techs can handle the 10's of thousands of peculiarities in these electronic gadgets.

Thanks Sirmaru

I recognise that these are complex devices, I just cannot believe that the tech advisor would think it acceptable to have to turn my settings on and off manually each time I enter a WiFi zone.

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem, I received a new phone 4 days ago, but can't receive incoming calls unless the wifi is turned off (In the phone settings), It's all very odd, I have done lots of investigating and even spoken with Samsung UK support, they have suggested getting a replacement but I am also nervous that this will also not work.
I am still within my 14 days cooling off period, so unless this can be resolved (I don't want to miss any calls) I will switch to another brand.

Although I did a search for a similar issue on Android central, I couldn't find yours so created a new thread here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...iving-incoming-calls-when-connected-wifi.html

t1sme

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same problem -- no incoming calls while wifi is on -- although it works with wifi on but no wifi service available. My provider is VirginMedia Mobile (uses EE) and they told me 3 weeks ago that they will be providing a software update "soon" but nothing seen to date. This morning I was advised that this is a known problem with the S5 and they are looking into it. If it carries on for another week I will be exchanging the phone for another model. Is this a problem with other networks too? My old S3 worked perfectly well -- darn the free upgrade! Love the phone, hate the issue.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The problem is with the settings. This time it doesn't automatically set the call over wifi setting when you enable wifi like before, it happened to me when I first got the phone untill I realized what it was happening. Bring down the icons menu at the top and enable wifi.... then go down a little bit and enable WIFI CALLING..... close the menu and you should be ok receiving calls.............. Let me know if that solves the problem... it should....