Check battery cover and SD card unexpectedly removed

PolRobert

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S5 for a week now and I've had some problems with it. I can't keep the SD card mounted. After a reboot, it recognises it, I can browse the content but shortly after I get the "sd card unexpectedly removed" error and the card is unmounted. I've tried 2 different cards, a SanDisk 64GB and a Kingston 32GB, tried formatting them with every option possible(FAT32, NTFS, exFAT), but to no avail. After a while, I noticed that the error occurs immediately after I get a random "Check battery cover" message. This is not the one I get after the reboot, this is another random one, and I understand that except the one at the beginning, you shouldn't get any more of those notifications. The seal on the cover seems fine. Has anyone else had this problem ?

CaptainAndroid

May 1, 2014
Visit site
You are not alone. Just got the phone yesterday. Tonight I went to put my SD card in the phone. After replacing the back cover and booting up, I got the "Check Battery Cover" message. Thought I just hadn't sealed it properly so I applied pressure to all the right points and everything felt fine. I later restarted the phone only to get the message again. Went into trouble shooting mode and tried continuously to reboot without getting the message. I tried multiple combinations of turning the phone off, removing and replacing the cover, and turning it back on. I have yet to start up without the message and I'm at my thirteenth try. Very frustrated, because I'm assuming if I don't want to continually deal with this, I probably will have to return the phone for a new one which I will have to waste time customizing again.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
You are not alone. Just got the phone yesterday. Tonight I went to put my SD card in the phone. After replacing the back cover and booting up, I got the "Check Battery Cover" message. Thought I just hadn't sealed it properly so I applied pressure to all the right points and everything felt fine. I later restarted the phone only to get the message again. Went into trouble shooting mode and tried continuously to reboot without getting the message. I tried multiple combinations of turning the phone off, removing and replacing the cover, and turning it back on. I have yet to start up without the message and I'm at my thirteenth try. Very frustrated, because I'm assuming if I don't want to continually deal with this, I probably will have to return the phone for a new one which I will have to waste time customizing again.

the message is just a reminder on bootup, not an indicator of issues with the cover.
my sprint had an option to disable this and the usb port message.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is normal to get the "Check Battery Cover" message each time. Same goes for the USB cover as well. if you unplug it from the charger, you will get a message each time.

Likecars

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I used to have SD card issues on my S3 then my S4. I finally ordered a Samsung SD card and have never had a single issue since. Can only recommend trying a Samsung card.

Posted via Android Central App

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I had to open my cover and press the SD card in FIRMLY on the first day to have it recognized properly. If you get a message about the SD card, do the same.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it is normal to get the "Check Battery Cover" message each time. Same goes for the USB cover as well. if you unplug it from the charger, you will get a message each time.

Ummmm...no...no....this is not true. After you select the option of it not telling you anymore you will never see those messages again.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
hmm weird, i never got those message when the check your battery or the battery cover. Maybe it's carrier specific? I have the AT&T model.

PolRobert

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes but you see, I understand that it is normal to get the "Check battery cover" every time I reboot the phone, but then I get it randomly 1 or 2 minutes later, and it is precisely then when the SD card is unmounted. I tried pressing it in firmly, if I pushed it any harder my fingernail would probably snap. I have also tried a Samsung SD card and I got the same result. Seems like the only option is to replace the phone which is very frustrating.

Julie Ludeman

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I started getting the same error. (Which incidentally is what brought me to the forum). It's usually followed up by a preparing SD Card notification or SD Card needs to be reformatted... etc. It pretty much comes up EVERY time I "wake" my phone up. Other than it being a nuisance is it worth me going back to the store? I don't see an option to not show me this anymore. Just frustrated with it.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had my S5 for a week now and I've had some problems with it. I can't keep the SD card mounted. After a reboot, it recognises it, I can browse the content but shortly after I get the "sd card unexpectedly removed" error and the card is unmounted. I've tried 2 different cards, a SanDisk 64GB and a Kingston 32GB, tried formatting them with every option possible(FAT32, NTFS, exFAT), but to no avail. After a while, I noticed that the error occurs immediately after I get a random "Check battery cover" message. This is not the one I get after the reboot, this is another random one, and I understand that except the one at the beginning, you shouldn't get any more of those notifications. The seal on the cover seems fine. Has anyone else had this problem ?

It comes on even if it shut properly.

It gives you a check box not to show that prompt anymore, at least on the sprint version

-Sent from Tapatalk

lauranelli

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Just happened to me today randomly. I opened the back and I took out and put the sd card back in and nothing. It still acts like its not there. I don't understands what made it do this all of a sudden. Any other suggestions?

Leo Nikolov

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Im having exactly the same issue since yesterday, the cover msg is flashing every time i open my phone and my SD card is dismounting randomly. Nope i haven't install any new software on it.
Does anyone know what this can be ?

P.S.

The only thing that was installed those days is update for my Gear 2, which i dont see any connection as the update was for my Gear 2 not fr my Samsung.

P.S.S
I manage to find some answers here i guess is the SD Card which is really odd as the card is few months old.

Added:
A friend of mine red a lot of blogs and apparently there is issue between SanDick and Samusng mobile phones, they literally fry the cards.
So if you have Samsung phone dont risk and put another card then Samsung one or your card might be fry as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2757738

Last edited:

Jennifer Richardson

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have searched a ton of sites trying to find this problem, because I am having same issue! I actually took the phone back to the store, swapped it out for another one, only to have it have the same issue when I insert my sd cards. I have tried multiple times to format the card to format it to the phone, but no luck. When I took it back to the phone, one of the sales people told me it was a known issue, and said I had to buy a new sd card because it had to be samsung. After he said this, the manager came over and told me the other guy misinformed me about this and that they have no idea what is wrong and I would have to send the phone back in to get repaired since they already did a swap out for me. I didn't believe him one bit.
I have since ordered a new sd card (Samsung this time) for the phone. I will update as soon as I find out if this fixes things.
Hopefully it does!

Reachmum

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I have searched a ton of sites trying to find this problem, because I am having same issue! I actually took the phone back to the store, swapped it out for another one, only to have it have the same issue when I insert my sd cards. I have tried multiple times to format the card to format it to the phone, but no luck. When I took it back to the phone, one of the sales people told me it was a known issue, and said I had to buy a new sd card because it had to be samsung. After he said this, the manager came over and told me the other guy misinformed me about this and that they have no idea what is wrong and I would have to send the phone back in to get repaired since they already did a swap out for me. I didn't believe him one bit.
I have since ordered a new sd card (Samsung this time) for the phone. I will update as soon as I find out if this fixes things.
Hopefully it does!

I assume this message appears only when your S5 is overheated. This is stupid but this is what I found out on my phone, when I use it too much to make continuous calls, or long calls, playing games such as Candy Crush for long time etc, immediately after charging also the phone is overheated. but once it cools down then the message doesn't appear. I am saying this from my personal experience using the phone.

reload79

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I just started having the SD card and check battery cover issue this week. I've had the phone for about 6 months and all of a sudden I get a SD card error saying the files may be corrupted/needs to be formatted and then I also get the check battery cover message every time I unlock the phone. I can view all the files on the SD card when I go to my files so I don't think it is corrupted. I've tried taking the SD card out and re installing to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ppgrns

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Same problem happened to me and I have tried first a Kingston memory card and then a samsung memory card. but problem remains same. Is this problem covered under warranty?

Simon Peverett

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Just got this problem today.

And it exactly these errors:
  • SD Card unexpectedly removed
  • Check battery cover
  • Checking SD card for errors

I removed the Samsung MicroSD card from my phone and put it in an SD adapter, then plugged it into my Windows 8.1 laptop. The card wasn't readable for the PC either. Fortunately, I have a spare Samsung 32gb MicroSD, new in the packaging. I got it out, checked it on the PC; all good and could be read by the PC. Put it in my S5 and the two error messages went away.

So, my conclusion is that when the SD card gets corrupted, it also triggers the battery cover warning as well somehow. Or it could be I closed the cover properly when inserting the new SD but I doubt that since I had taken the cover on/off about 3-times and rebooted twice before I swapped the SD cards and that didn't fix the 'check battery cover' error.

I think a previous poster swapped her phone for a new one and saw the problem occur - the common denominator being she kept and used the same MicroSD card. This would seem to confirm my theory.

A simple test, if you are getting both these errors is just remove the MicroSD card and reboot. If the 'battery cover open' error goes away after removing the SD - then this would prove these errors are tied. Also, check your MicroSD card on another device if you can. A decent phone shop should be able to do it for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch