custom ringtone for text message, how? (samsung galaxy s5)

jim127527

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Well i tried all the ideas.. Mine is a samsung galxy 5 thrue at&t as my carrier. And nothing works... pretty disturbing when my partner at work has the same phone and hers works fine... Any help PPPPPPPPPLllease!!!

dterris

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
thanks for that answer. is there a way to customize the alert to silence? for example, there is a person from whom i want to get messages, but i do not want to hear my usual alert. can this be done? was easy on my old blackberry, and i know you can do it for I-phones

coffeebreakwhatever

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Mike N Vicky = I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime..just got it. I downloaded songs for the ring tone AND to the Notifications file. I assigned ringtones to contacts and that works great. I now want to assign a "ringtone" to each contact to ring on a text message. I am able to get the songs/tone to my cell phone, but in Notification, it only allows me to choose ONE tone....for all texts. Is there a way around this so that I can assign a notification tone to each contact? I have DL'd several "songs" and they are all there, but it only allows me to choose one for all texts! Any suggestions?

coffeebreakwhatever

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I save the MP3 to my PC, then plug in my phone, and copy/paste it to the Notification file in the phone.
Just click open the drive the phone is plugged into. Scroll down to "Notification", highlight it and right click to paste. Then open the NOtification option on your phone...find the song and check the circle. Now that will be what is played when you get a text. I am working on how to assign a tune to each contact for getting a text message from them! I have tunes assigned as ring tones to everyone, but can't figure how to do same for texting.

Cristian Caravan

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello people,

So just bought a Galaxy S5 and I have a wierd problem, my custom ringtone starts from about half in. And the phone knows it because the progress bar is filled kind of half. Any thoughts on how i can make it start from the beginning.
I know the workaround, like extend the ringtone, but i dont really want to do it. Would like an "official" fix.

Thanks,
Cristian Caravan

coffeebreakwhatever

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime..just got it. I downloaded songs for the ring tone AND to the Notifications file. I assigned ringtones to contacts and that works great. I now want to assign a "ringtone" to each contact to ring on a text message. I am able to get the songs/tone to my cell phone, but in Notification, it only allows me to choose ONE tone....for all texts. Is there a way around this so that I can assign a notification tone to each contact? I have DL'd several "songs" and they are all there, but it only allows me to choose one for all texts! Any suggestions?

DoggyB22

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
So I''ve been having the same problem with my S6 Edge+ ... Its kinda weird so with some friends I do what is told & go under the specific contact, add additional fields & then pick a certain text tone for them. & its worked. But just recently I tried doing it for a contact & its still using the "Verizon Alert" one?!?! Anyone know what gives

LTA1

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
This thread is very helpful. Now i have a customized default msg tone, and contacts personalized msg tone too ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

kbrun

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
After many searches through various forums on setting customized notifications for my contacts, and after many attempts at the given suggestions, all of which failed to work for individual customization (and I am not phone ignorant)I could select a notification tone different than the installed one but it only worked for all my contacts, not just the one I wanted it to alert me to. I finally went to the Verizon store. I was told that every batch of phones have glitches and that was my burden to bear. Thank you very much. I'm stubborn. Finally, after 8 months of trying every known suggestion this is what I found that does work - Galaxy S5, Verizon Carrier, Message+ user....
1. Go to a received message in your messaging app
2. Find the three dots by the phone symbol in the upper right corner
3. Click Customize - top of the list
4. Click Tones - 4th down the list
5. Select the app you want to select your tone from (if you have more than the one that came with the phone)
6. Select the tone
7. Click on "Set Notification" on the bottom left of your screen and you're good to go

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I am also trying to customize a text sound for individual people. I read the thread and I went to my settings for the contact however I do not see where I can "add another field". I have the Droid Turbo 2. Can anyone help me with this please?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I am also trying to customize a text sound for individual people. I read the thread and I went to my settings for the contact however I do not see where I can "add another field". I have the Droid Turbo 2. Can anyone help me with this please?

Hello and welcome to Android Central Bridget Cusack!

This is a Samsung Galaxy S5 firmware feature that is obviously missing from the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 I am afraid. Try posting on the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 forum for Android Central and see if they have a solution for you.

Good luck!

yourwelcome

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Here is what i did to customize my ringtone for text messages:
Your phone has to be rooted so you can use root explorer.
Then go to system-media-audio-notifications and in this folder you will copy your mp3 file into.
reboot your phone and then go to settings and you will find your ringtone in your "text message ringtones files"

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I have that one, but I still cannot customize a text tone for personalization with this phone...and I posted in the wrong spot - I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2.

bpb101Brunk

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

Like the title said, how do you set custom ringtone for text messaging. It seem like only the call ringtone are allowed to use custom ringtone but not for text messaging.

Thanks ahead,
-Andy

Here is a real Solution. Open MyFiles, Select Audio, press and hold the sound you want as your notification (it will check the file), go up to the options button (the vertical 3 circles), hit copy, select device storage, find the folder named Notifications and click it, paste the audio file there.

Now go to Settings, Sounds and Notifications, Notification ring tones, and your file will be listed along with all the other default notification sounds.

Hope this helps, I did this so I could have droideka blaster shots as my text sound :D

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I didn't follow your instructions. I also don't think it's related to my question. I'm not looking to add new ringtones/notification sounds. I'm trying to customize specific ones to specific people. (Example: dad have "Beep", mom have "Boop", sister have "Ring", etc). I know how to find and save new tones but from what I can tell, I can only have ONE sounds (no matter what I choose it to be) and that becomes the "default notification sound".

Njean27

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I have saved it in the notifications folder and it still does not show in the notification sounds. I tried adding it to a contact specifically and it works. I want to select it as the default notification tone, though. It is a tone and not a song or price of music. I'm stuck??? I'm assuming it's a problem with the phone. Anyou suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo