Scratched!

Blahzee

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently noticed a couple light scratches on the screen when I went to install a screen protector after looking at it with a flashlight. I know theres no way to remove them and I don't know how they got there as I'm very careful with it and never dropped it. My question is will verizon exchange it for a new one even though I've had it over 2 weeks? How will they address this issue being I have asurion insurance but I don't know their policy or if they have any fees I'll have to pay. Sorry for the rant but I've been really bummed about it I'm pretty anal when it comes to things like my phone or computer mainly expensive items...even my bike those 3 things Im kind of ocd about. If you have had similar experiences or dealt with asurion Please Help. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to tell you, but Asurion is not going to exchange your phone for some very minor scratches. That goes with normal wear and tear.

Any insight at all? I just want to be prepared for the outcome. There has to be someone that feels similar

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I recently noticed a couple light scratches on the screen when I went to install a screen protector after looking at it with a flashlight. I know theres no way to remove them and I don't know how they got there as I'm very careful with it and never dropped it. My question is will verizon exchange it for a new one even though I've had it over 2 weeks? How will they address this issue being I have asurion insurance but I don't know their policy or if they have any fees I'll have to pay. Sorry for the rant but I've been really bummed about it I'm pretty anal when it comes to things like my phone or computer mainly expensive items...even my bike those 3 things Im kind of ocd about. If you have had similar experiences or dealt with asurion Please Help. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I know the corporate stores have a 14 days return/exchange period on phones, private and 3rd party retailers may vary, not to sure. However, if there are scratches they will probably make you go through the Asurion because the scratches are physical damage which voids warranty, unless you can prove somehow it came out of the box with scratches. I always inspect my phone before I leave a store just in case, and also put screen protectors on ASAP. Doesn't matter how careful you are, scratches to the screen can happen. I would say it wouldn't hurt to at least try and bring it in and see if they will exchange it for you. As far as doing the Asurion claim, I just looked at my information, there is a deductible, and if I remember right for Android phones it is between $50 and $100 to replace through the insurance option. Hope this helps.

Wanted to add that if it is just cosmetic damage, then it is cover-able by warranty possibly too if it is a manufacturing issue.

Last edited:

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Most insurance companies will not accept any claim for cosmetic damage, which is what your hairline scratches are.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine also had a very small micro scratch less than 1mm out of the box that could only be seen with bright sunlight.

This isn't an actual scratch, but just a wearing off of the oleophobic coating. You can buy some online and apply it and it will go away

-Sent from Tapatalk

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear but I feel like AC should a sub-forum for "Issues" because honestly I hate that I see threads like this, forced to read it and next thing you know my OCD kicks in. LOL

This is why I didn't keep my hTc One M8, there's a thread about loose volume rockers and it got to my head.

Blahzee#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine also had a very small micro scratch less than 1mm out of the box that could only be seen with bright sunlight.

This isn't an actual scratch, but just a wearing off of the oleophobic coating. You can buy some online and apply it and it will go away

-Sent from Tapatalk

Are you serious? Is that what you did?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Are you serious? Is that what you did?

no, i didn't do this, but i know many who have.....

the oleophobic coating easily wears off...and can look like a scratch.....you know its the oleophobic coating when you can only see it in certain angles and bright sunlight

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think using a tempered glass screen protector would likely hide the scratch, protect the screen, and feel like the naked glass. All around win.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Blahzee#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think using a tempered glass screen protector would likely hide the scratch, protect the screen, and feel like the naked glass. All around win.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Thanks guys I feel a lil better.I was going to put a tempered glass screen protector on but I saw the scratches so I thought I should wait and see what Verizon says. Thanks for the input.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not worth trying to put on a screen protector. I wasted 4 out of 5 of mine left and I ended up scaring my poor old Grandmother as I went berserk but no matter what I did it had dust and looked like crap even doing it in the bathroom using a steamy shower. My Nexus 5 will be in a TPU case but screw the screen protector.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not worth trying to put on a screen protector. I wasted 4 out of 5 of mine left and I ended up scaring my poor old Grandmother as I went berserk but no matter what I did it had dust and looked like crap even doing it in the bathroom using a steamy shower. My Nexus 5 will be in a TPU case but screw the screen protector.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thats a bummer. I install these nearly perfectly every time. How much time goes by between you wiping the display and applying the protector? I literally go 1 second which helps a lot

Also, Tempered Glass doesn't seem to bubble from dust. You'll see the dust at certain angles but its definitely no where near as frustrating as the plastic film.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Blahzee#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Put the tempered glass screen protector on and can't see any scratches at all. These tech armor ones are amazing too, also it feels identical to the naked screen

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Was it difficult to apply? Any bubbles? What brand are you using. I'm looking in the Amazon Store and there are a bunch of them. Some....like from Spigen...are very expensive.

Put the tempered glass screen protector on and can't see any scratches at all. These tech armor ones are amazing too, also it feels identical to the naked screen

Blahzee#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Was it difficult to apply? Any bubbles? What brand are you using. I'm looking in the Amazon Store and there are a bunch of them. Some....like from Spigen...are very expensive.

Wasn't that difficult just trying to keep dust off was. There's just one speck of dust that isn't really noticeable. I have tech armor it was 15.95 total on amazon they have a great warranty also.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much. I posted a new thread about tempered screen protectors. I'm curious to other people's opinions. I'm used to screen protectors that bubble up...the thin film ones.

Wasn't that difficult just trying to keep dust off was. There's just one speck of dust that isn't really noticeable. I have tech armor it was 15.95 total on amazon they have a great warranty also.