Buy GS5 now or wait?

itsmemalloy

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a GS4 but the screen is severely damaged from a fall and I have an upgrade available through AT&T. Should I get the GS5 or wait? There are several high end and mid range phones due out in the second half that have peaked my interest. Namely GS5 Prime, GS5 GPE, One+, LG G3, Moto X+1, Nexus 6 and even iPhone 6.

Camera, battery life and screen are the deal breakers for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

sabre1106

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I say wait until some of these phones are reviled and then make a decision. From the sounds of it you have put up with the broken screen for some time, whats a little bit longer?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a GS4 but the screen is severely damaged from a fall and I have an upgrade available through AT&T. Should I get the GS5 or wait? There are several high end and mid range phones due out in the second half that have peaked my interest. Namely GS5 Prime, GS5 GPE, One+, LG G3, Moto X+1, Nexus 6 and even iPhone 6.

There are a couple of unicorns in that list, so I wouldn't wait just because they may become available. You also mention the GPE, which you can get anytime at full price regardless of whether an upgrade is available...so does upgrade availability really matter?

That said, cameras and battery capacity are improving all the time. There are definitely differences in screen technology though. Samsung, and Motorola if the trend continues, use the latest flavor of AMOLED Screens, the others all use SLCD screens. Both types have their advantages, but the differences only matter to individual use.

I loved the screen on my LG G2, but my phone is my alarm clock, and even in the night mode the backlight of the SLCD screen was bright in the dark. It was the drawback of have a screen that was visible in most sunlight. When reviews indicated that the GS5 screen was comparable to the SLCD screens in sunlight, I jumped on it because the AMOLED screens are much better in the dark - the best of both worlds...for my specific use cases.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

You left out the Flex. Battery's great, I sorted out my few initial gripes with the camera, and personally I love how the screen looks. But of course a Flex 2 with updated hardware would be rather nice.

itsmemalloy

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Nexus6 with updated hardware would be a good one.
But Last week I got S5 and I love this one in terms of battery life and its camera.

Yeah, camera is awesome and the battery is just crushing it. Using Battery Doctor, power save mode, a couple of developer tweaks and I'm getting about 16-18 hrs with moderate use.

Using Tapatalk on my GS5

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I would just go ahead and buy the S5 phone now, learn to use it. That will take a couple of weeks of getting around through all of the fine tuning options that it offers.... things we never had access to before.

It will allow you to Disable all of the bloatware that the carriers push on us. That alone is a Deal Maker for me.

I love my S5, it will be with me for many years to come most likely.

And as said above, in technology, there is "always a better, faster, something, just around the corner". But is it really better? some neat new features, but do they really alter the scheme of things?

The S5's camera is superb, takes better pictures than my high end, 10 year old Sony DSLR which cost me a $1,000 bucks or more at the time.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

If I were you I would get the S5. Obviously you like the Galaxy S line of phones...right? The display on the S5 is the best the Galaxy S line has ever had. The battery life is really quite remarkable. The camera is great on this device...as is the software for the camera. The S5 screen is made with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 so it is quite durable. I'm not very patient so I would have a hard time waiting to see what else comes out...lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez