Fingerprint scanner and Overall Review

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Hey Guys how are we all doing tonight? I have the Xperia 10 for near on three weeks now and I have a more love then hate relationship with it. Here is my review so far.

Camera front and rear.
The camera is great in both high and lowlight conditions and the front facing camera has a screen flash so you can take selfies in no light scenarios such as out in the beach or watching the stars.

Battery.
My battery use is insane I use my phone like a gaming and social media driver. I went on a family holiday recently which needed Google Drive satnav I'd plug out my phone at half 7am and I'd take pics and have the satnav activated also posting to social media and browsing the net for local things to do. We had kids with us and used my hot-spot for their tablets and with all this going on when we arrived back to our holiday home at 6pm I'd have about 30%battery left. It was incredible.

Multitasking.
Now here is where it gets a little of a downer for me because it has 3GB RAM it's a little laggy. I think that the 10 for its multiple high level components should've gotten an extra GB now I am not a fan of huge phones so this would be the biggest I'd go so the plus version would be way to big for my usage. The largest phone I had was the Microsoft Lumia 640XL and that was at 5.7 inch but that was wide and chunky. Whereas the screen on this is 6 inch taller sleeker feel in the hand. But using it one handed because I have small hands it's a little cumbersome alot of shuffling to reach the burger buttons at the top of apps. But yes the extra GB would've came in handy as there is a little lag but overall apps themselves run smooth it's just switching between them. Here is where the phone gets vindicated I absolutely love the side-bar. You can customise it so you have your top 8 apps within finger range also you can access settings, do not disturb, torch and WiFi connection button so you don't have to swipe down just double tap the side-bar and voila. Closing apps can be a bit cumbersome with the swipe up gesture it can open the all apps screen the majority of the time rather them the close all apps function.

Display and Audio
As I said in the above the screen and aspect ratio of this phone is beautiful. The edge to edge curved screen is a statement. Great full true colour gamut and it's a full HD screen. It's rocking Sony's Bravia technology so watching movies on Netflix is emmersive and blacks are true black and whites are brilliant white. I'm happy nightlight has been implemented on Android Pie so well done for that my previous the Xperia XA1 had Oreo and lost the nightlight - blue light filter and it was dazzling to use even when turning up the red hue and lowering brightness it still was blinding. The gripe I have with the display alot of apps don't work well with the 21.9 aspect ratio for example games that don't run well are Marvel Strike force, DC legends and Game of Sultans so once they get updates to allow for that aspect ratio they will be fabulous. 3.5mm Jack is back. I am so happy that the 10 has kept the wired headphone standard and let me say the sound quality from headphones my gosh the bass will rattle your teeth and the low to mid level sounds super clear now I don't use the High-Resolution Audio with DSEE HX™ and LDAC function what I do is adjust the equaliser and turn up the bass a little also I use the Studio surround sound feature and it makes you feel like your in a rave. The High-Resolution Audio with DSEE HX™ and LDAC works well with Netflix it's like being in a cinema. I'm super satisfied as Groove Music on Microsoft ceased and I was still using the Lumia 640XL for music only as it supported OneDrive music streaming as the sound quality of my Xperia XA1 fell so short it was a shame as it rocked in many aspects. So I researched Google Play Music and it supports OneDrive music steaming so I am super happy I can access my music again wherever I am with superior sound quality. Dare I say it is a little better then the sound from my Lumia 640XL. Now my gripe with Audio is the side dual speakers. When holding the phone in portrait the sound is awsome but go to Landscape and the sound seems to die into the abyss. They could've put smaller front facing speakers.

Security and Backups
Now here is the title of the post the fingerprint scanner has driven me nuts. Out of 10 times it works in about 4 so below 50% success rate. If your thumb or whatever digits you've set up gets a bit warm then the sensor says to wipe any damp away from the sensor and dry your finger so the sensor doesn't react well to heat. An issue I have found with backup to Google is that the button is greyed out so what you need to do is disable pin and fingerprint go back to Google backup button is now blue then when the backup is done have to go through the pin and fingerprint set up process again.

Overall.
I'd give this phone a 4/5 stars. The reason why I don't go full five was the lack of the extra GB of RAM its only 3GB.
Fingerprint scanner below par.
Android Pie issue not a device issue is having to turn off the pin and fingerprint to backup to Google and set up the pin and print again (For a better backup experience use Sony Xperia Companion on the PC so you don't have to set up the pin or print again).

I hope you enjoyed this review and if you have any questions let me know.
Sony Xperia 10 is a great mid ranger with some flagship features.

Éire 💖

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try rolling your finger around (like doing a fingerprint on a "10 card", to "loosen it up". FP scanners don't work well if the skin is wrinkled, taut or anything but "normal". (And if you live in Alaska, there are probably only about 2 or 3 months a year you can use it.) Another trick is to suck on your fingertip for a few seconds to pull the blood into it, then wipe dry and scan. (Or, if you're diabetic, and familiar with doing a finger stick, "milk" your finger before using the FPS.)

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Try rolling your finger around (like doing a fingerprint on a "10 card", to "loosen it up". FP scanners don't work well if the skin is wrinkled, taut or anything but "normal". (And if you live in Alaska, there are probably only about 2 or 3 months a year you can use it.) Another trick is to suck on your fingertip for a few seconds to pull the blood into it, then wipe dry and scan. (Or, if you're diabetic, and familiar with doing a finger stick, "milk" your finger before using the FPS.)

Hi there thanks for the tips I have rolled my finger I have dried it and the sensor and I've done everything and it's still below 50% success. I live in Ireland so using the phone in winter will be an experience. I'm not diabetic but this advice will help those with diabetes. Thanks so much for reaching out.

Éire