'Happy with Galaxy S5' Thread

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY with my S5! I don't have a problem with Touch Whiz. The UI is snappy, no lag. I love the camera (never thought I'd admit to being happy with a cell phone camera but it's more than adequate in a pinch). I haven't uninstalled all the fluff (maybe unnecessary but fun/cool) features. Just removed a few apps I'd never use. Runs like a champ. Having an issue with it coming on when it feels like it but hopefully I'll figure that out. Oh, no problems with BT to any other device, keyboard, or my Ford Flex. The text message feature in my car works too. Messages are on the nav screen and are read aloud. I'm almost afraid to update to 4.4.3 in fear it will break something!

Thanks for the comment. Yeah I would rather wait a bit before the update. That's what I did with my S3 so I missed the horrible 4.3 update and stayed on the smooth 4.1.2. Still a great ROM.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I moved from my s2 to the s5 and WOW what a difference! I have not had any issues with Samsung devices over the years. My husband gladly switched his blaze for my old s2 because it still has a lot of life left in it. The camera is truly amazing. The screen is brilliant and very responsive. The voice commands are fun to play around with. My only complaint is the same one everyone else has...the charger cover. That won't be an issue once I step up to the wifi charger...hopefully soon. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I moved from my s2 to the s5 and WOW what a difference! I have not had any issues with Samsung devices over the years. My husband gladly switched his blaze for my old s2 because it still has a lot of life left in it. The camera is truly amazing. The screen is brilliant and very responsive. The voice commands are fun to play around with. My only complaint is the same one everyone else has...the charger cover. That won't be an issue once I step up to the wifi charger...hopefully soon. :)

If you don't need a lot of protection go with this setup:

-Samsung OEM Qi Charging Cover ($30)
-Belkin Grip Bumper ($30)
Tylt Vu Qi Charging Pad ($63 on Amazon)

That'd my setup and its great. The bumper leave the back side open but it's a battery cover that can be replaced if necessary.
jy9u8ejy.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Based on the role the USB cover plays in dust and moisture sealing, it opens and closes well and as designed IMO, yet it gets a fair amount of unwarranted negative attention. Since my fingernails are always groomed short, I use a soft plastic guitar pick to open it gently and quickly.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Based on the role the USB cover plays in dust and moisture sealing, it opens and closes well and as designed IMO, yet it gets a fair amount of unwarranted negative attention. Since my fingernails are always groomed short, I use a soft plastic guitar pick to open it gently and quickly.

The negativity is that it breaks off. That's not unwarranted...

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The negativity is that it breaks off. That's not unwarranted...

I've read a few threads here and there where one or two people have had first hand experience with this whereas the other experiences were anecdotal, but honestly I cant see how it "just breaks off", unless it's being subjected to unnecessary force. Granted I've only had the phone for a short time but it really does seem strong overall.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've read a few threads here and there where one or two people have had first hand experience with this whereas the other experiences were anecdotal, but honestly I cant see how it "just breaks off", unless it's being subjected to unnecessary force. Granted I've only had the phone for a short time but it really does seem strong overall.

There are plenty of people here who have mentioned it happening to them. Its cheaply made and when I was in Best Buy picking up the bumper case they mentioned many people coming in with broken covers. Some of these people I know for a fact baby their phones.

Lol, who signs up at Android Central with the username iPhone5s? :p

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Lol, who signs up at Android Central with the username iPhone5s? :p
Someone who had an iPhone5s and registered with androidcentral's sister forum iMore.

Let's keep this conversation on track.

I'm happy with my Samsung S5 because the UI is fluid, the build is solid and the potential for cool accessories is imminent.

Three7s

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Switched to a T-Mobile S5 from a T-Mobile S3 on 4/11 and could not be happier. The jump in speed from T-Mobile's "4g" to their 4g LTE is very noticeable. The screen is brilliant and the camera is impressive.

I am an app junkie with 300+ apps and the S5 handles them with ease. I am using the stock ROM, but did load the Apex launcher for a few features that Touchwiz does not have. I have disabled most of the bloatware, tweaked settings to my usage and use a couple of application managers to maximize battery life (2+ days, if needed).

Hardware-wise, I have added:
  • 64gb EVO uSD
  • Some nice cases (Platinum, Otter, etc.)
  • Wilson Sleek 4g mobile amp
  • Tripod mount to take pictures (lol, but true!)
  • Gear 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Someone who had an iPhone5s and registered with androidcentral's sister forum iMore.

Let's keep this conversation on track.

I'm happy with my Samsung S5 because the UI is fluid, the build is solid and the potential for cool accessories is imminent.

I was more or less messing with you on that. Its always nice to see a convert enjoying their new Android device. :)

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up my Galaxy S5 this afternoon. I came from an iPhone 5 and am an Apple fanatic. This phone does so much and more. I wanted the opportunity to customize my phone more. I'm in love with this phone.

I'll stop gushing now haha :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've posted already on this and still very pleased.

I forgot to mention how pleased I am with the camera.

I have a very expensive Sony DSLR (granted it is almost 10 years old now) and it has macro capability.

But this S5 camera's macro capabilty far exceeds that of my good cameras.

I took a shot of my WiFi's data label at 3 inches and it came up sharp. My Sony can't handle anything closer than 10+ inches and then I have to fiddle, fiddle, fiddle with the macro focusing ring manually.

here is a screen shot of that label.

Attachments

• WiFi Label.jpg
    WiFi Label.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 30

Michael Lynady

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
For those of you happy with TouchWiz but want different icons try "Beautiful icon styler" in the play store - I'm quite happy with it

Posted via Android Central App

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The Super AMOLED HD display is amazing as is the battery life. I just wish there wasn't so much Samsung and AT&T bloatware.

MrJBot

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I am extremely happy with my S5. I used to have the S4 but switched to the iPhone 5S due to curiosity. I'm glad I'm back where I belong. I couldn't ask for a better smart phone.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S5 (Sprint)

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
If you don't need a lot of protection go with this setup:

-Samsung OEM Qi Charging Cover ($30)
-Belkin Grip Bumper ($30)
Tylt Vu Qi Charging Pad ($63 on Amazon)

That'd my setup and its great. The bumper leave the back side open but it's a battery cover that can be replaced if necessary. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/15/jy9u8ejy.jpg

It looks great. Interesting combination.

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Switched to a T-Mobile S5 from a T-Mobile S3 on 4/11 and could not be happier. The jump in speed from T-Mobile's "4g" to their 4g LTE is very noticeable. The screen is brilliant and the camera is impressive.

I am an app junkie with 300+ apps and the S5 handles them with ease. I am using the stock ROM, but did load the Apex launcher for a few features that Touchwiz does not have. I have disabled most of the bloatware, tweaked settings to my usage and use a couple of application managers to maximize battery life (2+ days, if needed).

Hardware-wise, I have added:
  • 64gb EVO uSD
  • Some nice cases (Platinum, Otter, etc.)
  • Wilson Sleek 4g mobile amp
  • Tripod mount to take pictures (lol, but true!)
  • Gear 2

Is the Gear 2 worth it?

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up my Galaxy S5 this afternoon. I came from an iPhone 5 and am an Apple fanatic. This phone does so much and more. I wanted the opportunity to customize my phone more. I'm in love with this phone.

I'll stop gushing now haha :)

No prob! This thread is for those who love their S5.

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I've posted already on this and still very pleased.

I forgot to mention how pleased I am with the camera.

I have a very expensive Sony DSLR (granted it is almost 10 years old now) and it has macro capability.

But this S5 camera's macro capabilty far exceeds that of my good cameras.

I took a shot of my WiFi's data label at 3 inches and it came up sharp. My Sony can't handle anything closer than 10+ inches and then I have to fiddle, fiddle, fiddle with the macro focusing ring manually.

here is a screen shot of that label.

How is the Low Light shooting of the Camera?

tonyron227

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Good morning...I am a longtime Blackberry fan (Z10). That said I decided to jump ship to my second choice in phones and I love it. It is more than I imagined, the camera is better than my real camera, and the display blows me away. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area in SC and can't take advantage of the LTE speeds on a daily basis (T-Mobile). But when I go to the "city" it is an awesome experience; better than a wifi connection. I am looking forward to the latest software update later this month...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez