Bloatware

Dbuck70

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I recently got my S5. I am on AT&T. Specifically what bloatware are people deleting from the phone that slows things down? Thanks for your experience and input!

D

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The bloatware isn't going to slow the phone down, but some of it will use up a lot of battery and data.

Amazon Suites is the single worst app in that regard IMO.

I'm Verizon, but this is my list: ATT probably don't have most of these.

I have turned off the following on a Verizon phone:
Accessories, Amazon, Amazon App suite, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Appstore, Audible, BlurbCheckout, Bubbles, FamilyBase Companion, Flipboard, Message+, Messages, MyMagazine, NFL Mobile, Picasa Uploader, S Health, Smart Remote, Travel Wallpaper, Verizon Support & Protection (McAfee), VZ Navigator (pay for fee Navigation.... Google maps is free)

Google branded that I turned
OFF:

Calendar Sync, Contacts Sync, Play Games, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Play Newstand, Hangouts, Isis Mobile Wallet

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just turn off/disable things you won't use. Each person will have different apps they use and don't use - tweak it to your liking.

And by the way, welcome to Android Central! :D

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
This is my first Android device so I am still learning about it. Do you "turn off" or "force stop" the apps to disable them? Thanks.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is my first Android device so I am still learning about it. Do you "turn off" or "force stop" the apps to disable them? Thanks.

"Turn Off" - the safest way (so that you don't disable something the system may need) is to open your app drawer. Once there hit the three dot menu button (upper right of the screen), select Uninstall/disable apps. That will show any app that can be turned off (disabled) or uninstalled, you will see a circle with a red minus sign in it on the app icon. Select the ones that you want to get rid of. In some cases, if the app has been updated, you will get a popup saying to uninstall the updates and reset the app. once you have done that, select the app again and it will be turned off. Others may allow you to completely uninstall, in those cases they will be gone off your phone. The ones that are merely turned off are still on your phone but they are disabled. They will be removed from your app drawer and hidden. To see them again, go back to your app drawer, select the menu button and select show disabled apps, you can turn them back on at any time if you want to.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
"Turn Off" - the safest way (so that you don't disable something the system may need) is to open your app drawer. Once there hit the three dot menu button (upper right of the screen), select Uninstall/disable apps. That will show any app that can be turned off (disabled) or uninstalled, you will see a circle with a red minus sign in it on the app icon. Select the ones that you want to get rid of. In some cases, if the app has been updated, you will get a popup saying to uninstall the updates and reset the app. once you have done that, select the app again and it will be turned off. Others may allow you to completely uninstall, in those cases they will be gone off your phone. The ones that are merely turned off are still on your phone but they are disabled. They will be removed from your app drawer and hidden. To see them again, go back to your app drawer, select the menu button and select show disabled apps, you can turn them back on at any time if you want to.

What about going into your settings>application>application manager>downloaded.......select the app...for example Google Play Books. This is where I am looking at to disable apps. I now have the option of "turn off" or "force stop". Can I disable my apps that I don't want or use from here? Turn off or force stop? Thanks.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just open your app drawer, tap menu button, select uninstall/disable apps & then select which ones you want disabled.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
What about going into your settings>application>application manager>downloaded.......select the app...for example Google Play Books. This is where I am looking at to disable apps. I now have the option of "turn off" or "force stop". Can I disable my apps that I don't want or use from here? Turn off or force stop? Thanks.

Yes you can do it from the Application Manager, it does the same as from the App drawer. Again, "Turn Off" the app if it is something you do not want to use, that will disable the app. Just be careful if you swipe over to the "All" section in the Application Manager. There you will find listings for all apps on the phone, to include many system functions. If you turn off or force stop the wrong things there, you will have problems.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

You have received two valid ways to Disable/Uninstall the apps.

but I wish to clarify one point that has not been properly described.

Force Stop:

• This will only stop the current running of the app, it does NOT disable the app from running again.
  • It will restart when activated again either by you, or another app that does a sub-routine call to it.

Disable:
  • Apps that are part of the ROM that came with the phone can be turned OFF, but cannot be uninstalled. The effect is to remove them from operating memory, but not from storage space.

Uninstall:

• This is for apps that you have downloaded and were not part of the phone as delivered from the factory. They will indeed be uninstalled from both memory and storage space.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74