Question Optimize app speed ffmpeg

bmcaps

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a cheap prepaid Moto G 5G (2022) phone.

I want to convert videos using an app called ffmpeg.

When I start using the app, it seems that it runs fast, but for some reason it randomly slows down. It is as though the speed is throttled.

My goal is to run the app as fast as my phone hardware allows at all times.

What can I do to make sure the app speed is not throttled and uses the full hardware speed at all times?

Thanks everyone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about this app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silentlexx.ffmpeggui

Something like that might be pretty processor-intensive. If the CPU is heating up significantly while the app is working, that might cause it to throttle down to prevent damage. Does the phone get pretty warm while that app is working?

bmcaps

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the response!
That is the app.
The phone doesn't get warm. I am not knowledgeable with Android.

Is there anything simple I can do, such as settings or another app that will make sure the app runs using full hardware potential?

It is not slow, but I'm simply looking for the best speed available.

Thanks again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could send an email to the developer asking about this: silentlexx@gmail.com

I did see at least one review saying that transcoding large files can lead to the phone freezing, so it may just have to do with how intensive the process is. I'm not very surprised that a budget phone like yours would run into performance issues with this app.

Reactions: J Dubbs

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Change your false expectations that all software is going to always run at the same speed for all tasks. Video conversion involves a lot of memory and processing power (both video and audio). That's a given with a high dependence on the hardware you're using. Serious video editing is typically done on an appropriately configured desktop, with a smartphone expect to do casual, more consumer-based video editing.
Also, if you're working with higher quality, higher compression video content (i.e. h.265 video/AAC audio codecs) that's going to take more processing power and will slower especially on a smartphone. Slightly lessor quality video content (i.e. h.264 video/MP3 audio) will be faster when using something like ffmpeg.

bmcaps

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
Thank you all for the help!!

Basically, the ffmpeg app will convert at about 10x speed for quite some time, then randomly and inexplicably slow down to 4x or 5x speed (video conversion speed).

All other factors remain the same. For example, I haven't opened any new apps, and the input videos are identical size/type/quality.

I think Android is slowing the app down.

Is there any way I can force Android to keep this app high priority and use the full hardware specs? Whether in regular settings, developer settings, or a third party app?

Thanks again everyone.