ATT Galaxy S5 - How do I get OTA updates after removing Towelroot?

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
In preparation for the (maybe) eventual 5.0 OTA upgrade, I decided to go ahead and remove towelroot, run SuperSU to unroot, and then try the 4.4.4 upgrade from ATT.
It will prompt me that an update is available, then go through the process up to the reboot and install, then fails at 25% each and every time.

Anyone know if there is a quick fix for this, or will I need to factory default my phone to get this to work?

TIA

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the answer to you question. I'm just wondering when did at&t get the 4.4.4 update?

Posted via Android Central App

john905r

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
you might have to do a factory reset to receive the OTA update. the ATT S5 is still on 4.4.2.

Posted via Android Central App

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, factory reset, and the OTA still fails at 25%.
Then restored factory image with Odin, and still fails at 25%.

Any ideas?

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have when I un rooted my s5 , no problems and they don't charge anything. ..I also had them do it for my note 3 at a later time again no charge. .

SAMSUNG S5

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution for this? I am in the same exact situation.

In short, No.
The Samsung rep at Best Buy wouldn't help, and was pretty snotty about the whole thing.
I then went in to a "core" ATT store, the retail ATT owned store, and they tried the update. (This is after a full factory restore to base)

They got on the phone with level 2 support, and they sent me a new phone under warranty. I suggest if you do have warranty to do that also.
I believe there is just an update problem with some of these, that has nothing to do with TowelRoot.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution for this? I am in the same exact situation.

Did you have a Custom Recovery installed? If you didn't uninstall it before unrooting , it's still there, and your device is still "Custom". I made that mistake once, and had to go through the headache of rooting the phone again just to remove the recovery so that an OTA would take. I tried flashing a factory image, and it did not overwrite the custom revovery, so re-root, and unistall was the only option.

Posted via the Android Central App

strikefoldhd

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Well the bootloader is locked so there is no way that it could be custom i used toweroot used xposed installer busybox titanium backup ect and i was still at official