Verizon forced update to Lollipop

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
How long do you have before Verizon will force the Lollipop update to your phone? I have "installed later" since Monday, March 2nd. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
lollipop isnt bad but if u experience any problems after update do a factory reset it will help

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First try a less drastic fix - clear system cache.

But if you root the phone, the update won't take, it'll "fail" as soon as it sees a rooted phone. If the contant notices still bother you, once you're rooted you can freeze the updater app. I don't see anything added to LolliFlop that's interesting enough for me to want the extra battery drain of a white screen, let alone all the free bugs they throw in with it.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well crap! It happened :( I've been dodging the "install update 1 of 2" notice for a week. But tonight, at the same exact micro second that I tapped on an app, the install update screen flashed on my screen and I hit the "install now" button instead of the app I was attempting to open (sigh). That was about an hour ago. So far nothing about downloading or installing part two. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it gets me. Guess I better start preparing for a FR :(

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
If I have to do a factory reset......should I remove my SD card OR leave it in the phone? Thanks.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I have downloaded the 1st part of a 2 part update to Lollipop from Verizon. Now on the second part of the update I see the options of "no thanks"......"install later".....and "install now. If I select the NO Thanks does that mean I will never be asked again to update to Lollipop OR will this be forced on you and a later date? Thanks.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I have downloaded the 1st part of a 2 part update to Lollipop from Verizon. Now on the second part of the update I see the options of "no thanks"......"install later".....and "install now. If I select the NO Thanks does that mean I will never be asked again to update to Lollipop OR will this be forced on you and a later date? Thanks.

I've always read that there is no need to remove the SD card when you do a FR, BUT, that it can't hurt and could possibly save the contents if something went wrong. I'll be removing mine.

Thanks for letting me know what the options are for the 2nd part of the download. Under protest, I was forced to downloaded the first part last night. About 3 weeks ago, I answered "no thanks" to part one. That was the end of it for a couple of weeks. Then, either I accidentally hit the download option or it did it on it's own. Then I spent a week dodging the install option. Last night I hit install when I was attempting to open an app. Someone here said that as long as you're not connected to wifi, it won't download and sure enough, I wasn't connected via wifi for those weeks that it didn't download. I called Verizon to verify that if I connected to wifi would the update download. They said no. I only believe 3/8's of what anyone at Verizon says <g> so I don't know if the download was pushed or if I accidentally (like last night) gave it permission to download.

BTW, Verizon says it's not them that pushes the update. It's Samsung.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I've always read that there is no need to remove the SD card when you do a FR, BUT, that it can't hurt and could possibly save the contents if something went wrong. I'll be removing mine.

Thanks for letting me know what the options are for the 2nd part of the download. Under protest, I was forced to downloaded the first part last night. About 3 weeks ago, I answered "no thanks" to part one. That was the end of it for a couple of weeks. Then, either I accidentally hit the download option or it did it on it's own. Then I spent a week dodging the install option. Last night I hit install when I was attempting to open an app. Someone here said that as long as you're not connected to wifi, it won't download and sure enough, I wasn't connected via wifi for those weeks that it didn't download. I called Verizon to verify that if I connected to wifi would the update download. They said no. I only believe 3/8's of what anyone at Verizon says <g> so I don't know if the download was pushed or if I accidentally (like last night) gave it permission to download.

BTW, Verizon says it's not them that pushes the update. It's Samsung.

Thank you also for your information. I have sent a private message to a few forum members here and waiting for a reply. I need an explanation on if you select No Thanks (for part 2) exactly what it will do in the long run. On the 1st part I only saw Install later OR Install now. I always choose Install later but this afternoon I accepted the 1st part.

Westell

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have an LG G2. Lollipop damaged my phone and I got the run around. Verizon blamed LG. LG blamed Google. Google blamed Verizon. I recorded all conversations. I went back to Verizon with all my recordings and they admitted they forced the update. I even called Verizon before it installed to specifically request that my phone not receive the update. Eventually Verizon forces the update onto their subscriber phones. I have this admission recorded as well. You can secretly record depending on the state you are calling for customer service. Try to find out what state you are calling before recording.

My phone had unworkable problems immediately after Verizon forced update. Verizon sent a refurbished phone to replace but I had a ton of apps and data that needed to be restored/ transferred over. Verizon claimed no additional liability after replacing my phone. I took Verizon to small claims court because all limitations on liability and mode of legal action in customer agreement are out the window because forcing an update on my phone is not part of the subscriber agreement. Court agreed no limitation on liability and awarded an extra $490 plus prevailing party fee and court costs for $715 total. Verizon paid the judgment about 1.5 months later. If you do not voluntarily install update, keep this in mind. If I had it to do over, I would have gone straight to court and rolled the cost of the phone into my damage claim instead of accepting Verizon's refurbished phone. Verizon's only defense is that the customer agreement limits liability. They repeated this over and over. Keep in mind this is their interpretation and is not the correct interpretation.

They need to be held accountable without limitation or they will continue being reckless with YOUR DEVICE.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an LG G2. Lollipop damaged my phone and I got the run around. Verizon blamed LG. LG blamed Google. Google blamed Verizon. I recorded all conversations. I went back to Verizon with all my recordings and they admitted they forced the update. I even called Verizon before it installed to specifically request that my phone not receive the update. Eventually Verizon forces the update onto their subscriber phones. I have this admission recorded as well. You can secretly record depending on the state you are calling for customer service. Try to find out what state you are calling before recording.

My phone had unworkable problems immediately after Verizon forced update. Verizon sent a refurbished phone to replace but I had a ton of apps and data that needed to be restored/ transferred over. Verizon claimed no additional liability after replacing my phone. I took Verizon to small claims court because all limitations on liability and mode of legal action in customer agreement are out the window because forcing an update on my phone is not part of the subscriber agreement. Court agreed no limitation on liability and awarded an extra $490 plus prevailing party fee and court costs for $715 total. Verizon paid the judgment about 1.5 months later. If you do not voluntarily install update, keep this in mind. If I had it to do over, I would have gone straight to court and rolled the cost of the phone into my damage claim instead of accepting Verizon's refurbished phone. Verizon's only defense is that the customer agreement limits liability. They repeated this over and over. Keep in mind this is their interpretation and is not the correct interpretation.

They need to be held accountable without limitation or they will continue being reckless with YOUR DEVICE.

That ridiculous lollipop update straight up broke the G2, predominantly its ability to charge at more than a snail's pace (and did not correct the poorly performing GPS as was promised by LG). I can not believe Verizon actually approved it! It took Verizon until late November to update the G2 again, which was a security update and seemed to restore quick charging, but it borked the GPS in my step dad's G2 . Even though I was still under warranty with LG, they literally could not have cared less (and I will not purchase anything else from LG if I can help it). After much pleading, I convinced some wonderful lady at Verizon to swap me out for a GS5. It's been a very good phone except for the usual certified like new defects (burned in screens) even on Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I can not believe Verizon actually approved it! It took Verizon until late November to update the G2 again, which was a security update and seemed to restore quick charging, but it borked the GPS in my step dad's G2 . Even though I was still under warranty with LG, they literally could not have cared less (and I will not purchase anything else from LG if I can help it).

I'm guessing that not only did Verizon approve that cloneware but they were the one's responsible for it. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for the alterations, modifications and bloatware that Verizon place on stock firmware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non