Why does my S5's screen turns on every 15 seconds while the phone is charging?

Holmey

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
My S5's screen turns on every 15 seconds while the phone is charging

Hi all. My S5's screen turns on every 15 seconds or so while the phone is charging. Its not that big a deal, but I can't imagine it helps the phone to charge faster when it is turning on the screen all the time.

What's odd is that it stops doing it when my phone gets to 90%-charged. From 90% to 100%, it doesn't do it, but any percentage lower than 90%, it turns on about every 15-20 seconds and stays on for like 2 seconds, turns itself off, then turns on again 15 seconds later.

I have browsed through the Settings pages, but can't find anything that looks like a way to stop this. If anyone can help out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My S5's screen turns on every 15 seconds while the phone is charging

Welcome to Android Central! How's the connection of the USB cable into the phone's USB port? If it's loose or faulty, maybe it's frequently disconnecting and reconnecting, which could lead to the screen coming on briefly. Can you try a different cable?

Holmey

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response!

I only have the one cable, but it was doing it the first day I brought the phone home. And like I mentioned, it does the ON/OFF thing every 15-20 seconds only until the phone charges to 90%, and then it charges the last 10% without the screen going on at all. The fact that it does that stops doing it at 90% EVERY time makes me think it is a setting and not a glitch or faulty connection or whatever.

Have you never heard of this before? That's a little disconcerting if you haven't. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope, never heard of that as being normal behavior. The reason why I was wondering about the connection was that I just experienced something similar--I was at a Starbucks with those Powermats, and you can borrow an adapter for Android devices. I was using that for my Nexus 5 and placing it on the Powermat, but the screen kept coming on for no clear reason. I also noticed that the charging indicator was not constant. Turns out that either the Powermat was faulty, or the table was uneven in a way that the phone kept losing the power connection.

If the phone is brand new, bring it back to the store where you got it and show them the behavior. Hopefully they can just replace it right there.