Can I get some help restoring my Google Back up to my new S5?

manonlescaut40

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Backup issues

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am a newbie to Android and haven't a clue how it all works (Iphone user previous years) I purchased recently a Samsung S5 and was having all sorts of problems with it, so network provider decided it was a dodgy phone. It was exchanged for a new phone, but I read online how to backup and sync everything to my Google account (or so I thought). I thought it would be pretty straightforward, I would turn on my new phone select the restore from a previous backup and hey presto all my apps, photos etc would appear in my new phone with previous settings etc. nothing. I have logged into my google account and my contacts have synced, but not my photos or calendar, music.. I am gutted, what did I do wrong, help please. I am using Lollipop system

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Backup issues

If the photos, music, etc., didn't sync, they're gone.

If they're synced to Google, but the new phone has sync turned off, go to Settings/General/Accounts/your Google [not gmail] account. Make sure everything is set to sync. The Google account has to be the same one you used on the other phone.

In the future, use the computer between your ears to back your phone up - it can choose what to back up and what not to back up a lot better than any software can. See Backing up an Android Device.