I transferred videos from my phone to my desktop computer - some have SOUND, but no IMAGE. Why is this?

A

AC Question

I transferred videos from my phone to my desktop computer - some have SOUND, but no IMAGE.

I'm not exactly what happened here. My Samsung Galaxy S5 was completely out of space, so I went to my desktop computer and transferred all my images/videos over. I had 34 videos on my phone. I opened the folder they transferred to and 16 out of 34 videos will ONLY play sound. There is NO picture whatsoever. They also do not have "thumbnail" icons when you view them in the folder. The other 18 videos DO have thumbnails and when you open them there is picture and sound to the video.

I'm giving myself a miniheart attack, as I had the "delete off of phone after transfer" prompt selected when I transferred them. These 16 videos that won't play actual video are very important to me.

Does anyone know how I can get them to play? Why can I HEAR them, but not SEE them?

I tried to transfer one of these back to my phone and then view it there. This allowed the video to play and be heard normally. But how do I get them to play on my computer?! And why did 16 of them do this, and 18 of them transfer over just fine?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: I transferred videos from my phone to my desktop computer - some have SOUND, but no IMAGE.

My first guess would be that your computer does not have the proper "codecs" to play the video. What software on your PC are you using to play them? If you're running Windows, go to videolan.org and download and install VLC Media Player. This will play pretty much any video that's thrown at it. It should play your videos just fine. Please try it out and report back.

TABOR21

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: I transferred videos from my phone to my desktop computer - some have SOUND, but no IMAGE.

Didn't realize I had an account on here -- I'm the OP in this topic. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a whirl. Why would some of the videos be able to be played fine, though? I recorded all the videos the exact same way -- so I'm not sure I understand why half the videos worked and half did not.