Massive Software Problem - Possible Virus?

MissMacabre

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Having lot's of issues with my Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile phone at the moment.

It's been happening ever since I got a notification yesterday telling me someone in America had tried to log into my facebook account via Google Chrome.

I keep getting phone notifications saying that apps have stopped working (mainly Google related apps such as Google Play etc), I can't see any of my phone contacts, it's just syncing constantly and in my message centre I just see the numbers and not the names of the contacts and no matter how much memory I free up on my phone (and I've deleted at least 1GB of photos, music, videos, text conversations and apps since the storage message), it just keeps saying my storage is full and my messages are full and no space is freed up. It's like the deleted data is being stored somewhere.
The phone also gets really hot and the battery drains very fast and then takes a long time to charge back up again.
It was fine up until yesterday and I haven't done a software update in a long time.
Any advice is welcomed and I am trying to Google on my laptop how to fix these issues but so far nothing has worked.
I really don't want to have to do a full system reboot and risk losing everything on my phone as only some of it is backed up.
I just need to survive with this phone til the end of Nov when I'll be due an upgrade.
And right now I am off work with a knee injury after a bike accident so I can't walk to go into a repair shop and I am expecting calls from the hospital any day now about my physio so I need to make sure my phone is ok.

Please help!

MissMacabre

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
The problem with the updates though is that they are always so big like 600+MB and I don't always have that sort of space and they often change features that I liked the way they were. Also, why do they make an update seem optional when if you don't do it it makes the phone play up? Obviously it's not optional then. But thank you for your response. I tried clearing the cache already and that didn't help but I will try rebooting.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, software updates are usually chock-full of security fixes.

Anyway, it does seem like to might have some major corruption going on. At the very least, you had better ensure that your photos and other important stuff are backed up. I haven't used a Samsung phone in ages, but if you have a GMail account, I would expect that you should be able to find (assuming you have access to a PC) all of your Contacts, Calendar, photos and other media files at https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?hl=en&passive=true&continue=https://www.google.com/

There are some pretty good backup apps you can use for the other stuff; I favor MyBackup Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&token=LQNfVjBx although the free version might suit your needs.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'd back up everything from that device before it dies. And of course, you have changed ALL your passwords for ALL your accounts by now huh....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87