Why does my Mobile Data turn off during calls?

Jesstin

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Before the Marshmallow updates my S6 Edge would keep internet/data while in a call. Now when I'm making a call it ALWAYS turns off. How can I keep this from happening?

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that VoLTE would have anything to do with it, that just literally means Voice Over LTE., the connection has to be there before that would kick in. You should maintain a Data connection during a call if you are using 4g. In my experience HSPA or LTE both keep the data open. 3g and lower would probablly lose the data. It used to cause me troubles back in the day with Google Voice as it looked up the number to call. with 3g it would not effectively do it.

So Check your network type. Make sure you are connected at 4G and if not check the menu Mobile Networks and make sure it using GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto and not just GSM/WCDMA

hope it helps :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that VoLTE would have anything to do with it, that just literally means Voice Over LTE., the connection has to be there before that would kick in. You should maintain a Data connection during a call if you are using 4g.

This is true for GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T, but if the OP is on Verizon, I believe it could be the issue. Verizon phones need VoLTE ("Advanced Calling") to be turned on in order to have simultaneous voice and data. Check this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...neous-voice-data-note-5-verizon-wireless.html

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected. I haven't used a cdma network for a while because of the various troubles with it and thr trouble moving a phone from one network to another, and it looks like it *used* to work without VoLTE, but verizon messed with things. SMH. My bad, thanks for the info :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used a cdma network for a while because of the various troubles with it and thr trouble moving a phone from one network to another,

I'm with you. This is one of the main reasons I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a year and a half ago.

MapHouston

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I went into the "mobile network", changed it from global to LTE/CDMA. It worked for me. I am able to be on the phone and on GPS at the same time
Hope this helps