Samsung Galaxy S6 How can I do group messaging over WiFi Android & iOS?

A

AC Question

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a legitimate answer to this question. I currently have an iPhone 5 and have a group chat with other iOS users. One user is overseas so can only use WiFi to chat. I'm planning to get the S6 in April, but have been confused over wether or not I can group chat with just the messaging apps provided. My parents both have the S5 and when they group chat me using the Verizon Messenger app, it works just fine. However, I've heard from others that the texts come through separately, or that its just impossible to group chat with iOS users. We've talked about using other apps like Hangouts, etc, but those tend to drain batteries faster.

After doing some more research, I read that the Verizon messenger app lets you chat via WiFi, but will that jive with iMessage?? Not sure if anyone can answer this question but it seems the more I look into it the more confused I get! I really really don't want another iPhone and I'm very excited about the S6, but its just frustrating not being sure if we can keep our group chat up.

Thanks in advance :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Group Messaging over WiFi Android & iOS

Hi there. Legitimate question, and one that, quite frankly, Apple has created haha. First things first: iMessage is NOT the same as texting. iMessage is more like Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc. Texting (SMS/MMS is a whole different enchilada and it only works with mobile data,except when the carrier offers a special app for it, like Verizon or Google Voice.

Here comes the complicated part. iOS did a great job of seamlessly integrating iMessage with their standard messaging, so for iOS users, they just send the message and don't know/care how it gets there. If the recipient is also using iOS, they will get the message via iMessage (which can work in WiFi); if they're not on iOS, the message gets automatically converted to standard SMS/MMS (which, for most carriers, can only be received/sent with phone service available for SMS and mobile data for MMS, not working over WiFi).

With me so far? OK. Verizon DOES offer an app to send and receive SMS/MMS via WiFi, so you can still check your messages while abroad without even turning your mobile signal ON. Messages sent through the app will reach your Group Messaging via normal SMS/MMS, so if the recipient is on iOS, they will get it through SMS/MMS and will need a mobile connection to receive it. If the iOS replies, the message goes as standard SMS/MMS to those non-iOS users and as iMessage to those who are on iOS. So you CAN keep your group chat, it's just that the messages get delivered differently depending on who's replying and to whom, but you can all still have the same conversation going (it's just the delivery method that varies).

The advantage of those apps like Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger is that they're cross-platform and work through WiFi, so it's more likely that people traveling will be able to keep on with the conversation without incurring in extra charges for messaging or data.

Hope I helped clear your doubts, and if not, just reply to this and I'll try to further explain :)

PS: 3rd party messaging apps are not that big of a drain nowadays. I use Whatsapp, Hangouts, and FB Messenger regularly and they barely even register on the battery report.

taylorswiftscat

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

I made an account just so I could reply and say THANK YOU!! You confirmed what I had basically surmised via my research, but you laid out it clear and concise, which I haven't been able to find elsewhere! Oh how I wish Apple would get with it and just release iMessage as a standard app -- but I won't hold my breath. I'm going to be out of the iMessage loop since I know about 2 people who have Android...and the rest are iOS. However, I refuse to keep a phone I dislike simply so my chat bubble shows up blue on my friend's phones instead of green (you can't see ... but I'm rolling my eyes Liz Lemon style, because this has been the #1 complaint of my friends who find out I'm switching -- I suspect they all suffer from stockholm syndrome)

Sounds like my group chat friends will need to just download a third party app. And I suspect my battery issues are because I have an iPhone 5 and, to put it plainly, it sucks. I also secretly suspect my phone knows I want to switch to Android and is increasingly sabotaging my mobile efforts out of spite.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Glad I could help explain! :) And yes, sometimes iOS can be... frustrating hehe. But hey, it works for a lot of people, and I know folks who would be so unhappy with Android phones. It's good to have choices :)

taylorswiftscat

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Very true! Whenever my non-techie friends ask, I usually figure out if they want a phone that "just works" and works well, and if that's the case, I always point them to iOS. Thanks again :)

April Greer1

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi there! I was just searching this topic because I'm having the same issue with not being able to download group messages. However, I was puzzled when I read that Verizon makes an app that will allow group messaging to be downloaded over Wi-Fi...because I'm on Verizon, I have an S6, I'm using the Verizon text messaging app and I cannot get group messages to download when the data is turned off and I'm on the Wi-Fi. It's not specific to iOS users either since my husband is included in the group message -using Verizon, has an S6, Verizon's apps, etc., etc. This is beyond frustrating....any insight??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38