Andrew's review mentioned some lag- anyone getting it?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not getting any lag at all. This thing flies.

I'm curious how many here are getting lag and/or hiccups.

Posted via the Android Central App

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Lag for me. Most noticeable is the Home screen where the elements are all redrawn which causes a 1-2 second lag sometimes. Not all the time, though. Going to and from the Flipboard App on the left screen is pretty bad sometimes with a stall. I know a lot of people uninstalled it.

Twitter has lag, especially in the Twitter browser, so does Facebook and so does Chrome. Not all the time but enough to notice. It's definitely not as fluid an experience like I was expecting. Certainly, nothing in the league of the iPhone 6 Plus which is smooth as can be and probably spoiled me to some extent.

That said, the hardware in the S6 is spectacular so I'm expecting that Samsung/Google can fix this in a software update, hopefully soon.

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a tremendous amount of lag. To the point where I was considering returning it.

Before going to that extreme though - I figured I'd wipe through recovery and set the device up as "new" (not restoring an existing backup). After I did that, I jumped into application manager and was pretty aggressive with disabling anything and everything that I do not, and will not, use.

After that... I swear the phone behaves just like all the reviews were saying it does. You know....good. I'm pretty happy now after having a less than great experience over the weekend with the device. Between that, and turning off "enhanced data"... this thing is great.

Running Action Launcher 3 Premium, for what it's worth.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Lag for me. Most noticeable is the Home screen where the elements are all redrawn which causes a 1-2 second lag sometimes. Not all the time, though. Going to and from the Flipboard App on the left screen is pretty bad sometimes with a stall. I know a lot of people uninstalled it.

Twitter has lag, especially in the Twitter browser, so does Facebook and so does Chrome. Not all the time but enough to notice. It's definitely not as fluid an experience like I was expecting. Certainly, nothing in the league of the iPhone 6 Plus which is smooth as can be and probably spoiled me to some extent.

That said, the hardware in the S6 is spectacular so I'm expecting that Samsung/Google can fix this in a software update, hopefully soon.

Are you talking about scrolling or what is it that exactly lags?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a tremendous amount of lag. To the point where I was considering returning it.

Before going to that extreme though - I figured I'd wipe through recovery and set the device up as "new" (not restoring an existing backup). After I did that, I jumped into application manager and was pretty aggressive with disabling anything and everything that I do not, and will not, use.

After that... I swear the phone behaves just like all the reviews were saying it does. You know....good. I'm pretty happy now after having a less than great experience over the weekend with the device. Between that, and turning off "enhanced data"... this thing is great.

Running Action Launcher 3 Premium, for what it's worth.

Odd. Glad that worked out for you.

I use Action Launcher as well. No lag at all whatsoever.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nothing here -- On T-Mobile (also stock launcher / everything). The device is pretty snappy.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Are you talking about scrolling or what is it that exactly lags?

Yes...scrolling for the most part but screen transitions or Home screen redraw sometimes as well. I've done 2 Factory Resets and shut down a few services I would never use but have most of the phone operating as intended with things like Location Services, Google Now and other key features on (this beefy phone should be able to handle these with ease).

I can live with the lag but really hope there's an update that fixes it at some point.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
None for me for most part. Every now and then the recent apps button takes a second or 2 but besides that its flying on both Nova and stock launcher.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The only slowdown I noticed was when the phone was doing a bunch of heavy task stuff, such as updating 10+ apps from the Play Store, or deleting 1000+ text messages that transferred to my phone from AT&T Backup

Other than that no lag on regular use and I love it

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh wait.

Does "enhanced data"= LTE?

"Enhanced Data" = Enhanced 4G LTE services. It's more for battery life if you have an absurd amount of Cell Standby eating up battery. Turning that off will clean that right up.

As far as what lags, a little history may be needed.

I (like many of you) buy pretty much every new phone that comes out - regardless of OS. This is amplified by my job allowing me to play with everything on earth. So even the slightest stutter will make me lose my Sh**... especially on an octacore chip with 3gb ram. That's just poor optimization. That said, I do think there is something else going on here that will be addressed in a future update.

If i have multiple notifications, the notification pulldown animation would stutter. Jumping into multitasking would be severely delayed, and then stutter like crazy once it did load. Now granted, my definition of "stutter like crazy" may differ from yours, but there is no denying that it was there on my device, as well as the several other s6 we have around here. But that's okay, because it seems with the right amount of tweaking and trial and error.. it can be resolved. At least that was the case for me.

While that's great news, it's disappointing that this STILL has to be done on a flagship device. But the majority of the phone buying public wont notice it in the first place. And if they do, probably assume that's "just the way it is".

All things considered - I'm pretty happy with it.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes...scrolling for the most part but screen transitions or Home screen redraw sometimes as well. I've done 2 Factory Resets and shut down a few services I would never use but have most of the phone operating as intended with things like Location Services, Google Now and other key features on (this beefy phone should be able to handle these with ease).

I can live with the lag but really hope there's an update that fixes it at some point.

I read turning your animations off fixes that.

However, that scrolling thing is weird because it isn't lag..... if I know what you're speaking of it is just not a fluid response to your touch. Not lag, but it doesn't follow the momentum your fingers give it (giggidy).

Is that right?

jesusgcas

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Comparing chrome on my old nexus 4 with the s6 sadly is much more fluid on the nexus 4 and this annoys me.
Try to open the verge and start scrolling as soon as it loads. It lags and freezes.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Almost none for me. There is a little here and there, like sometimes there is a bit of a stutter when pulling down the notification shade or the weather widget pops up a few seconds after I got back to the home screen, but it happens less then 10% of the time for me.. Little stuff like that that I've seen on all devices; Android and iOS. I don't have issue with Chrome lagging or stuttering, though bigger and graphic heavy sites like The Verge aren't 100% smooth but there is only a slight hiccup here and there. No real scrolling issues either.

Overall everything is very, very fluid and quick for me.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
My S6 is pretty fast. When I first got it I disabled and uninstalled a bunch of stuff. Tweaked some settings turned off others(Sprint Connection Optimizer, Google Location History, etc), added a bunch of stuff to Greenify, and unchecked all of the crap that was set to auto-update in the Play store.

tl24s

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
The only lag I get is when I access this site. It is so slow. Everything else is really fast.

You're right on that, I had a S6 and navigating through this forum was a nightmare! It lagged and lagged like no tomorrow! The fix? Turning off JavaScript but that renders all sites useless.

I hope an OTA update comes out soon, maybe then I'll hop back on the S6 bandwagon but until then there's no excuse as to why a flagship device with such high specs should lag, at all.