S6 Edge Back Button & folder button not working.

blue333

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I've literally had my phone for a few hours and while setting it up, twice my back button did not work or would light up!?
Same with the folder button. I would touch the screen, it would then light up, but still would not do anything?
Only after pushing the home button several times and waiting a few minutes did it work again.
This has happened 3x times in 4 hours.
I'm coming from an S5, so I totally understand how the buttons are supposed to work. Never once had this issue with my S5.
My question is, will I be able to go back to the store I bought it from and have it exchanged for another?
I purchased it at a Tmobile retail store.
I really hope I can. I don't want to dover and over and end up passing up any window I have for a return/exchange.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You should be able to bring it right back to the store and ask for an exchange, after showing them the problem. Stores usually have a window of around 2 weeks where you can do this. After that, you have to go through the warranty process.

CannedNoodlez

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I know this is late, but maybe someone else will stumble on this while Googling the issue. Make sure power saving mode is turned off. It disables the lighting for the back and recent apps key

Michael Flint

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I am also having the same problem. Overnight I had the phone unplugged woke up and it was turned off though when I tried to turn it back on it still had battery. Plugged it in to shower and it was off again when I returned. Turn it on again to find that the back button and recent button were neither lit or working. Power saving mode has been turned off, and another forum said to go to quick settings->power->power saving-> though this path route does not exist on my phone what they said I should be looking for also was no where to be found on my device. Frustrated as hell since this is my second day with the device, and might just return it since this is outrageous.

reesecrta

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if your still having the problem. Both my back button and multi window button stopped working on my Verizon S6, so I did these steps:

1. held power and volume down at same time for ten seconds
2. volume down till power off the phone was selected
3. tap home button to select
4. powered phone back up

it fixed my problem.

DonovanEdge

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 Edge Back Button & folder button not working.

reesectra, I tried your solution, but it didn't work for me. Although, I did find a "solution". My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

I hope this helps!

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Solved - Tried nearly everything I read on the internet about this issue except factory reset, wiping cache, turning on and off, uninstalling updated and apps...Here's what I randomly found that worked for me:

Go to 'Settings' -> 'Backup and reset' -> 'Reset settings'

Your phone will shut down and restart itself. This will not erase stored files on your phone or anything like that, it will just get rid of any wifi passwords you have saved as well as if you have any special arrangement of icons/apps on your screen, it will reset those. Once it's done rebooting it should be working.

Let me know if this works.

Cheers

Aaliyah Mcleod

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Solved - Tried nearly everything I read on the internet about this issue except factory reset, wiping cache, turning on and off, uninstalling updated and apps...Here's what I randomly found that worked for me:

Your phone will shut down and restart itself. This will not erase stored files on your phone or anything like that, it will just get rid of any wifi passwords you have saved as well as if you have any special arrangement of icons/apps on your screen, it will reset those. Once it's done rebooting it should be working.

Cheers

Iqro96

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: S6 Edge Back Button & folder button not working.

reesectra, I tried your solution, but it didn't work for me. Although, I did find a "solution". My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

I hope this helps!

All Hart

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Reesecrta - I have a galaxy s5 and this worked for me. It's been happening on and off for a few weeks driving me completely crazy and you solved it in under a minute. Lol. Thanks!
PS the number of windows/apps in recent when it came back up was like 2 dozen. Maybe that's what's been killing my battery.

Duane Goff

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if your still having the problem. Both my back button and multi window button stopped working on my Verizon S6, so I did these steps:

1. held power and volume down at same time for ten seconds
2. volume down till power off the phone was selected
3. tap home button to select
4. powered phone back up

it fixed my problem.

Today is 8-21-16 my phone started doing this exact same thing. This worked after everything I have tried. I was even on the phone with a Verizon tech that couldn't figure it out.. tyvm

OFFROAD_DRIVER7

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site

Cheers

I believe that so far this has worked for me. Thankyou Patrick life saver like you dont even know

Cheers mate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non