What is the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services"?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
On my AT&T variant of the S6, there is the option "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" option under the "Settings->Connections->Mobile Networks->Mobile Data" screen. By default, this option is turned on. The text that is display with this option says, "Turn on HD Voice and enhanced communications over the mobile networks when available". I understand what "HD Voice" is, but what about the "enhanced communications"? I tried doing a Google search for this option and looked through the online Samsung Manuals but can't find any explanation of what this option really does.

I ask, because in a lot of the "battery drain" postings a lot of people are recommending turning off this option which will supposedly reduce the cell standby battery drain. I'm not overly concerned about the HD Voice, but I want to make sure I'm not reducing the phone capabilities for other features. Anyone know what this option does? Thanks.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It's usually used for HD voice calling.

I found on AT&T website the following :

Advanced technology

4G LTE - Long Term Evolution (LTE2) is the most advanced mobile technology. Our 4G LTE technology allows us to meet your growing demands to access a variety of content over our mobile network.
Important Note
2LTE - Not available everywhere. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more at att.com/network.
We've made major investments and enhancements to our spectrum portfolio with AWS, 700, 850, and1900 MHz bands to support 4G LTE data services.
To locate 4G LTE markets visit AT&T Maps:
Enter your address or zip code in the search field.
Select your wireless coverage type to view your available coverage options.
You can also view what other AT&T coverage, including 4G, is available.

Erik Arreola

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I had the same question when I got my phone. I'm still wondering though, because if I uncheck the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" and only leave the "Standard" option checked, then at the top notification area it still says 4G LTE. So by leaving the Standard option Im still getting 4G LTE, whats the difference?

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same question when I got my phone. I'm still wondering though, because if I uncheck the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" and only leave the "Standard" option checked, then at the top notification area it still says 4G LTE. So by leaving the Standard option Im still getting 4G LTE, whats the difference?

I've turned it off as others recommended for battery life reasons and it doesn't really effect your high speed data or voice calls. You'll still receive the 4G LTE speeds and you can check the speeds yourself using the Speedtest app (with that option checked then unchecking the option). No noticeable difference in speed nor in your voice calls.

Posted from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6

Doug Fitton

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's for 4glte over voice so basically you can call someone and use your lte connection still

POSTED FROM THE NEXUS 7 2013 via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress