Why is my brand new S6 so slow on Wi-Fi?

Andrew Mack

May 7, 2015
Visit site
why is my brand new s6 so slow on Wi-Fi

My s6 is crazy slow on Wi-Fi. It want at first but after about two weeks it is a slug. No matter what Wi-Fi I use. Multiple factory resets, clearing the cache partition etc.. Speed test are good, 15-25ms ping, 35-60mbps but it takes about Minute to locate a network to test from. Webpages take several minutes to load, Facebook images and videos. Please help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why is my brand new s6 so slow on Wi-Fi

Have you tried without authentication on the router? If that works, use AES, NOT TKIP or TKIP+AES on the router.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Are you able to test it out on a 5 GHz wi-fi signal? Is Bluetooth on? Sometimes Bluetooth can interfere with wi-fi on the 2.4 GHz band.

ThePiePieper

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat. Tried everything under the sun and nothing. Went as far as getting a replacement phone and SIM card. Only reason i feel that it's not my network is that my fiance has the same phone without any issues. Read a rumor that we are supposed to get a update in June that address this and battery life.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

I initially had that problem with the S6. Try rebooting your phone and modem a few times, see if that helps.

dreaming of electric sheep

Andrew Mack

May 7, 2015
Visit site

I have no way of changing router settings. I'm sincerely about to sell this thing and go back to what works. It's on every wifi I've tried. And customer service is no (language edited by mod) help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Which router do you have? Is it a combination router/modem supplied by your ISP? Let us know the brand and model of the router, and we can try helping with how to log into it to change its settings.

Andrew Mack

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Yes it is, however I bought a new router to see if that would help and it didn't. The router is technicolo tc8305c

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Your other devices are ok?

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

M Gangemi

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I actually just got the S6 yesterday and I am seeing the same slowness. I actually have a new Wifi router at home as well as a Mifi, sooooooo slooooooooooooowwwww:confused:

Greg2600

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been all over the internet, cannot find a solution to the HORRIBLE WIFI with this phone. This is completely ridiculous, it's widespread, and Samsung has done NOTHING.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Try turning off WiFi optimization then goto WiFi settings and forget the current connection. Reboot phone and re set up your connection.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tom Vile

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

Try setting up a static IP address for your phone and then reboot.

Posted via the Android Central App

Greg2600

May 24, 2015
Visit site

At a friend's house, the wifi seemed to be better, but junk at mine. I would try the static IP suggestion, but the phone decided to stop charging, and I had to have Verizon mail me a new one.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
HEY GUYS I HAVE FINNALY FOUND THE REAL FIX TO THIS PROBLEM. New to this FORUM btw, but I read it alot. I have the s6 Edge on Verizon and even though I'm showing full wifi signal and so was my wife's s5(she's on att&t) neither of us could barely get a page to load. I've done everything. Set manual channels. Disabled everything you can think of that might cause it on the phone. Disabled ipv6 in the router settings. Factory reset. Cache clean. Anything you can think of I've done it. Even tried to manually change the DNS to Google or something else. That didn't work but DNS IS THE PROBLEM. There's a problem with lollipop and DNS. And they are probably going to send an update eventually to fix it but I wasn't about to wait and I know my wife's s5 wouldn't get it.

So I was ready to return it. Anyway out if nowhere I found THE SOLUTION AND THE APP THAT FIXES IT IMMEDIATELY TODAY. Go to the to the play store and download DNS SET. Forget your connection and re enter your WiFi password. Then open the DNSet app and check off auto run. Then hit the run button. INSTANT FIX! I SWEAR TO GOD. You have no idea how happy I was to see this work. I stopped a it and reopened it many times to see if it would always work and it does. Instant loads. Super fast speed. Christ I was outside of my house and even there everything was loading instantly like it should. YouTube instantaneous. Anything. It fixes the problem. Believe me I went through this and it works and it takes 5 mins to do it at most. It's was a life savor. Don't return your phone or get frustrated and say screw it. This works and I couldn't wait to frigging share it with everyone because I know how can frustrating it is. I was about to return my s6 edge today. Swear to God. The only thing it didn't work in was my friends s5 today on sprint and I don't know why. Something to do with sprint maybe. But it definitely works with verizon and attt.

JUST A HEADS UP, I did leave the ipV6 disabled on my router and I still have WiFi direct disabled on my phone because I was afraid to change anything after this worked. Might have nothing to do with it but if for some crazy reason this app doesn't work, disable that and it will be fine. All my other settings on the router are normal. Auto channel and AES/TPIK are still on. Anyway This works and I was happy to help so I posted. Let me know of it works u for you guys. And spread the word so people aren't dealing with this [language removed]. It's not right. Let me know how you make out.

Last edited by a moderator:

rosariofebrero

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Michael: just tried your fix and so far, so good! I just got my S6 on Wednesday and this issue has been driving me nuts. I tried rebooting, forgetting the network, wiping the cache, etc. This is the only thing that seems to have worked so far. Hopefully they will release an official fix for this eventually, but for now this will work. Thank you!

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
No problem glad I could help. Not sure why the poster below you is saying it does not fix wifi. This is a known issue between Comcast and lollipop. Even Comcast as I just posted has recommended DNS set 2 people to fix the problem as I just found out 10 mins ago. As there is no fixed from Comcast at the moment. I am not sure why this guy below you is saying this does not fix wifi. Has nothing to do with just working on Google. None of my apps worked on wifi before this, and none of any one else's apps are working before downloading this, it's not just Google. now everything is working when I'm on wifi any app you can name that uses the Internet. this is an internal problem with DNS between Comcast and lollipop which is obviously directly related to wifi. So obviously it fixes the wifi issue. So im not sure what this guy's problem is below you or why he think I would lie. I couldn't wait to help you guys out. I know how frustrating it was and it felt great to find a fix. if this guy needs more evidence he could just look to you as you just posted it worked, or look at the 500,000 reviews that said it worked. This app has worked a miracle for me and many others and I'm trying to help people out. so the proof is in the pudding you can say it doesn't work all you want but it's working to the guy below you
There is a reason that everyone who has exhausted every possible solution including calling Samsung, their provider, and Comcast, could not fix their wifi. there is a reason that everyone who changed every single setting could still not get it to work. there is a reason that as soon as they downloaded this it worked. It's because it fixes the wifi problem so I'm not sure what he's talking about. Anyway I'm glad I could help and I'm sure you're very happy that you finally have wifi and fast wifi at that.

and as far as security goes , with the DNSet app I checked it and the IP address does not change with it on or off. The VPN is requred on Android to re-route the DNS lookup but does not route the data through the VPN. It's a workaround for the security hardcoded into the Android system