Galaxy Note 10 Plus - Slow Wi-Fi download speeds

Gaggz7

May 13, 2019
Visit site
I have Samsung Note 10 Plus , it shows wi-fi 6 logo when connected to Asus Wifi-6 router AX88U. Sometimes, when I leave my home and come back, the Note 10 plus does connect to AX88U wifi-6 but the speed is slow (about 50 mbps on 200mbps connection). If I turn off wifi on my phone and turn it back again. I get blazing fast 226 mbps. I did check some forums and was advised to change phone wifi setting is to static IP with primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns as 8.8.4.4 but this does not help.
Other steps taken: I disabled Wifi-6 on my router, but issue does not go away even when wifi ac (5Ghz) is being used.
Also, I have done "forget" network on phone, restart phone, reprogram Wifi setting. No use...

Another interesting fact: I have connected Netgear R7900 (wifi ac only, Mu-mimo) in AP mode to AX88U via cat7 cable. One day, I had observed that as I entered my home, my phone had connected to the Netgear router and the download speed was 200mbps with ping of 8 milliseconds. While I was roaming in the home, I was simultaneously browsing a few websites on my phone, and I observed the phone went from Netgear to ASUS router because I could see Wi-Fi logo without the Wi-Fi 6 symbol and then as soon as it hooked to Asus, I could see Wi-Fi logo with Wi-Fi 6 symbol. All of a sudden, the download speed as tested on speed test app went down from 200 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I switched off the Wi-Fi of my phone and switched it back again. the phone then connected with ASUS router on Wi-Fi 6 and the download speed was 200mbps. So this means that my phone performs very poorly when first connected to ASUS router. Would this be an issue with my phone not receiving signals properly - because of some issue while acting like a wifi-6 client?

Can someone please advise me how to have my phone connect to router with full internet speed? This only happens if I go out of home and come back in AX88U signal range. Also is this a router issue or phone issue? All other devices in my home are wireless ac (Wifi 5) only and have no issues with Asus router. Asus customer support is pointing finger on the Note 10 plus. Please help!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. Hasn't happened to me in my 10+. I'm always connected to wifi at home and get correct speed. Never touched the network settings.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
My Note 10+ connects as Wi-Fi 6 to my router. I have the Netgear RAX80. It shows my connection speed to my router as 890 Mbps. My internet speed is at 106 Mbps (I'm paying for 100Mbps).

Are you using a VPN on your phone or router? How far from the router are you and are there obstructions? How many other Wi-Fi networks or Wi-Fi interfering devices are in the area?

FYI. I never noticed the Wi-Fi 6 connection indicator until you mentioned it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
was advised to change phone wifi setting is to static
Assuming that you know what you're doing! Just putting in some static IP address might work - or it might disconnect you from the router, or connect you to the router, but with no internet connection.

IP with primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns as 8.8.4.4 but this does not help.
You do realize that a speed test is only valid if you do about 10 of them in a row and average the upload speeds and the download speeds, right? And it's only valid at that time? Because if, an hour later, the path, or the server gets heavily loaded, your speed will be less, maybe a lot less.

Comparing the speed now, and the speed in an hour, are comparing prices in 1919 and 2019 - they have nothing to do with each other. Of courseyour speed will be faster when the server and the path are lightly loaded, but if you're measuring speed just when a few thousand people are downloading (or streaming - same thing, except that streaming doesn't save the download) huge amounts of data, your speed will be lower. And that's "people using your ISP", not necessarily people in your house. If the ISP's connection to the internet gets bogged down, so does everyone'sspeed.

@gernerttl, you do realize that your connection speed to the router, and your connection speed to the internet, have nothing to do with each other (except that the second can't exceed the first), right?

Gaggz7

May 13, 2019
Visit site
@gernerttl - I do not use VPN . Also, i heard the rax80, 120 are first draft routers and do not fully support OFDMA especially uplink, so they are not true wifi 6 routers!
Also - FYI for everyone - I just got on phone, my 4th time with Asus. They finally agreed that one more user was facing same issue so they have taken feedback seriously and are addressing this connectivity issue via another firmware update. No idea when this would be released. Asus asked me to return to original seller (an individual on eBay as it is within 30 days of purchase) or send to Asus for service. If service, then I will have to pay for shipping and arrange for a temporary router myself. Hence returning to seller on eBay. So we do have issues where router will not talk well with certain devices!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
@gernerttl, you do realize that your connection speed to the router, and your connection speed to the internet, have nothing to do with each other (except that the second can't exceed the first), right?

Yes I realize that, and I distinguished between the two. My connection speed to my router usually hovers in the 890-900Mbps range, and my internet speed is consistent at around 100Mbps.

@Gaggz7 Glad to hear that Asus is looking into it.

Yes, the RAX80 is new. As soon as I connected my router and got it up and running, there was a firmware upgrade waiting for me updating it to the Wi-Fi 6 standard. Netgear and the other OEMs usually start producing equipment that is 95% compliant to get ahead of the game, then all they have to do is push a firmware to make their equipment fully compliant.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX80.aspx

For the record the RAX80 works really well. I upgraded to it because my old TP-Link Wi-Fi 5 router couldn't handle the amount of devices I was connecting to it (around 30).

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
@gernerttl - I do not use VPN . Also, i heard the rax80, 120 are first draft routers and do not fully support OFDMA especially uplink, so they are not true wifi 6 routers!
Also - FYI for everyone - I just got on phone, my 4th time with Asus. They finally agreed that one more user was facing same issue so they have taken feedback seriously and are addressing this connectivity issue via another firmware update. No idea when this would be released. Asus asked me to return to original seller (an individual on eBay as it is within 30 days of purchase) or send to Asus for service. If service, then I will have to pay for shipping and arrange for a temporary router myself. Hence returning to seller on eBay. So we do have issues where router will not talk well with certain devices!

I have the beast Asus ROG Rapture GT AX11000 wifi6 router and have non of the issues you described. Maybe return that AX88U and upgrade to this one and see if it still does the same thing.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the beast Asus ROG Rapture GT AX11000 wifi6 router and have non of the issues you described. Maybe return that AX88U and upgrade to this one and see if it still does the same thing.
Is that the one that looks like Darth Maul's head?

The RAX80 looks like Kylo Ren's shuttle.

I see a trend towards routers looking like sith lords or their shuttles.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Is that the one that looks like Darth Maul's head?

The RAX80 looks like Kylo Ren's shuttle.

I see a trend towards routers looking like sith lords or their shuttles.

Yeah lol it looks like a spider cyborg. But it is one hell of a router, the best I've ever owned.

Gaggz7

May 13, 2019
Visit site
Yes I realize that, and I distinguished between the two. My connection speed to my router usually hovers in the 890-900Mbps range, and my internet speed is consistent at around 100Mbps.

@Gaggz7 Glad to hear that Asus is looking into it.

Yes, the RAX80 is new. As soon as I connected my router and got it up and running, there was a firmware upgrade waiting for me updating it to the Wi-Fi 6 standard. Netgear and the other OEMs usually start producing equipment that is 95% compliant to get ahead of the game, then all they have to do is push a firmware to make their equipment fully compliant.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX80.aspx

For the record the RAX80 works really well. I upgraded to it because my old TP-Link Wi-Fi 5 router couldn't handle the amount of devices I was connecting to it (around 30).

Saw the specs - really nice! I liked the quad core, 4x4 and 1024 QAM part. It has 512MB ram but I feel this is fine, no need for a GB ram!

Gaggz7

May 13, 2019
Visit site
Also, any suggestions for a good router? I have one R7800 acting like AP, handles about 15 devices on 2.4Ghz (IoT - smart plugs, 3 wifi cameras @720p, not too much data load; and AX88U main router that handles about 8 devices, where most work is done, like iPads, Cellphones, Laptops on 5Ghz). I need to choose one main new router as I want to get rid of AX88U. Shall I get another R7800 as I did not see any performance difference between Wifi 5 & 6 on a 200mbps bandwidth - or I have shortlisted Wifi-6 RAX80 Netgear as main router. Any advice? TIA!

Gaggz7

May 13, 2019
Visit site
I got informed via another forum subscription that a new AX88U firmware update was out.......
It also happened around the day I was in a bitter situation as I was waiting for seller on eBay to accept my return request. He is a good guy who did not use the router on Ax devices. Now that I have purchased from him and using it on ax client, we came across this issue. Immediately upon reading this note, I updated the router firmware. I then went outside my home for a short walk but when I came back, my cellphone still had poor download speed with router upon reconnecting on 5Ghz. I explained this new observation and sent screenshots of speedtest and the seller kindly accepted my return request. Sadly this update did not sort out my issue.
But here is the good part: I had purchased a new AX88U at full price from Amazon. Initially I noted my 2.4 Ghz speed was very poor 4-25 mbps even when "6" was seen in wifi logo, means cellphone and router were on some new signal standard. With this update, I am getting 7 ms ping and 120-130 mbps download speed (same speeds on 2.4 Ghz with the "faulty" router described above). So this update did really speed up the internet speeds most evidently seen on 2.4 Ghz frequency. Also worth noting: I am not having the "poor download speed upon reconnect" with the brand new router that I just got.

BARRY PUALFORD

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
I have Samsung Note 10 Plus , it shows wi-fi 6 logo when connected to Asus Wifi-6 router AX88U. Sometimes, when I leave my home and come back, the Note 10 plus does connect to AX88U wifi-6 but the speed is slow (about 50 mbps on 200mbps connection). If I turn off wifi on my phone and turn it back again. I get blazing fast 226 mbps. I did check some forums and was advised to change phone wifi setting is to static IP with primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns as 8.8.4.4 but this does not help.
Other steps taken: I disabled Wifi-6 on my router, but issue does not go away even when wifi ac (5Ghz) is being used.
Also, I have done "forget" network on phone, restart phone, reprogram Wifi setting. No use...

Another interesting fact: I have connected Netgear R7900 (wifi ac only, Mu-mimo) in AP mode to AX88U via cat7 cable. One day, I had observed that as I entered my home, my phone had connected to the Netgear router and the download speed was 200mbps with ping of 8 milliseconds. While I was roaming in the home, I was simultaneously browsing a few websites on my phone, and I observed the phone went from Netgear to ASUS router because I could see Wi-Fi logo without the Wi-Fi 6 symbol and then as soon as it hooked to Asus, I could see Wi-Fi logo with Wi-Fi 6 symbol. All of a sudden, the download speed as tested on speed test app went down from 200 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I switched off the Wi-Fi of my phone and switched it back again. the phone then connected with ASUS router on Wi-Fi 6 and the download speed was 200mbps. So this means that my phone performs very poorly when first connected to ASUS router. Would this be an issue with my phone not receiving signals properly - because of some issue while acting like a wifi-6 client?

Can someone please advise me how to have my phone connect to router with full internet speed? This only happens if I go out of home and come back in AX88U signal range. Also is this a router issue or phone issue? All other devices in my home are wireless ac (Wifi 5) only and have no issues with Asus router. Asus customer support is pointing finger on the Note 10 plus. Please help!

I'm getting up to1gbps on my note 10 plus. Do you have developer options unlocked?

Last edited by a moderator: