S6 Home Button Defect & At&t manager wants to charge $35 to exchange?

aimb80

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I am so frustrated right now with At&t. I have been a customer for 15 years and I feel I have been mistreated.

July 27th- I bought the S6.

July 28th- I exchanged it due to it constantly overheating. The overheating began on my way home from the store I couldn't do anything to get it to stop (hot potato anyone?). In fact, they couldn't get it to cool down, so they marked that phone as DOA and let me exchange it easily. The manager told me if there was any problems with the 2nd phone, to bring it in.

While setting up my 2nd phone at home, I noticed the home button is angled slightly down on the left side, almost like there is too much "give" on that side. If you slide your finger over the left edge of the button, it is flush with the phone. If you slide it over the right side, there is a defined edge because it sits above the phone. When using the button, it gets irritating because you can feel the difference and your finger eventually sits to the left because of the angle. I have read for some, this has gotten worse over time. Being that I have had this phone for a day, I'd rather exchange it for one that doesn't have the beginnings of a worsening problem.

July 29th- I brought it back in. It was a different manager. He brought out two used phones in cases to compare. I told him the two phones were used and it was difficult to compare with the glass screen covers on them. His response was that it didn't matter because he couldn't see anything wrong with my phone. One of his employees told him she felt the difference. His other "nervous" employee, I like to call his little bird, said she didn't "think" she could feel the difference. I think she was scared to disagree with him. The conversation pursued with me telling him I wasn't leaving until I was happy. Even my 8 year old son picked up the phone to try to explain the problem that even he could understand. He told me I could sit there, but he wasn't doing an exchange.

So I told him to call At&t. The tech was on my side. He spoke to the manager and came to an agreement to do the exchange, but I would be charged the $35 restock fee. The tech also gave me the fax and address to the president of At&t to report this manager. He also said I should come back when that particular manager wasn't there or go to a different store (which is hard to do in my small town- only one store).

I haven't exchanged the phone yet. It was closing time when things were getting resolved with honoring the exchange plus the fee happened. I said I would come back during their open hours.

Anyone have an experience like this? It has only been 2 days since I purchased the phone, the first exchange being a DOA phone (completely not my fault). What would you do in this situation or what have you done if it's happened to you? I know it's only $35, but I'm kind of determined that I shouldn't have to pay it when one manger decides he can't see the problem. (That's me stomping my feet and saying "Not fair!") Please be nice and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

:mad: UPDATE: Thanks to those that responded! The nearest Samsung Service Center is an hour away. So I decided to go back in today. Thanks to bad karma or something, the same manager was there. I didn't think of it before, but I had him compare it to the floor model. He actually saw the problem with the button. But this time he changed his policy. He said the button was defected, but since it didn't affect the phone internally, he still had to charge me the $35. (even though last night it was all about it being due to him not being able to see the button problem). He told me this would be the last time I could exchange because you are only allowed 2 on your account within the 14 days.

Anyway. I asked if I could return the phone- because I would be paying the $35 anyway. He said I could, but it would still count for an exchange and that any phone that I got, they would not allow any more exchanges.So if I returned the phone for an entirely different phone, I wouldn't be able to exchange it if there were problems? I asked how that would be possible- and he said because it would be noted to the account.

Whatever. None of this seems right to me. I paid them the $35 for my last exchange and went home sulking. I will be writing the president (thanks to the tech who gave me the info).

Last edited:

chrisnutt

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

Agree with you poor customer service should e replaced no questions, get the managers name and staff number an report the jumped up little git

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Call corporate and complain vehemently, but respectfully about the manager and tell them that you are looking to change services to another carrier because of it. They don't like hearing this and will be helpful

They tried this bull with me when I was in my 14 day exchange period for a faulty lg g4 and several in the store...I stayed put in the store after closing hours and wouldn't budge. ..I got a new Active and left.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Shouldn't the restock fee only apply if you return it for a refund?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I would call and speak with AT&T or talk to the other manager at the store about it. Remember to always be respectful.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Just call customer service and most likely they will credit your next bill the difference.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

aimb80

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Shouldn't the restock fee only apply if you return it for a refund?

That's what I thought, but apparently not at this store. lol. This manager said that since they can't use the phone I exchanged, it costs the store money, so they are charging me. I think he was working really hard to give me a difficult time. My receipt for my last "exchange" (Where I had to pay $35), shows as a return. Pfft.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It's been a few years since I had to return anything to AT&T but a few years back when I exchanged a phone the $35 restock fee applied. It's pretty universal across all the carriers and T-Mobile will even charge you $50.

When I worked for Sprint the store managers has the power to waive the fee if they opted to, but under no circumstances could customer service waive the fee, provide a credit or offer to waive the fee.

It's a pretty junk fee, it only exists to discourage returns and exchanges for the small amount of people who demand an exchange for a completely ridiculous reason and leave the carrier with a swath of phones they can't sell as new an loose money on, but it's pretty standard at this point. Restock fees are pretty common with any sort of electronic return outside of places like Wal-Mart, etc.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It's been a few years since I had to return anything to AT&T but a few years back when I exchanged a phone the $35 restock fee applied. It's pretty universal across all the carriers and T-Mobile will even charge you $50.

When I worked for Sprint the store managers has the power to waive the fee if they opted to, but under no circumstances could customer service waive the fee, provide a credit or offer to waive the fee.

It's a pretty junk fee, it only exists to discourage returns and exchanges for the small amount of people who demand an exchange for a completely ridiculous reason and leave the carrier with a swath of phones they can't sell as new an loose money on, but it's pretty standard at this point. Restock fees are pretty common with any sort of electronic return outside of places like Wal-Mart, etc.
As all of that is true, he was returning a defective phone. It would be a different story if he wanted to exchange it for a different device.

Btw carriers send the defective phones back to Samsung and Samsung eats the costs of those phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
As all of that is true, he was returning a defective phone. It would be a different story if he wanted to exchange it for a different device.

Btw carriers send the defective phones back to Samsung and Samsung eats the costs of those phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Defective device changes still, as far as I know, incur the restocking fee. Pretty much any return for any reason gets it, unless something changed or AT&T flat out lied to me; which is certainly possible. I certainly don't agree with defective phones getting hit with it, but corporations love to price gouge. AT&T is pretty bad about it, they wanted me to pay per month for family control or whatever they call it, just to block a single phone number.

It's part of the reason why the S6 is my last carrier branded phone.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Defective device changes still, as far as I know, incur the restocking fee. Pretty much any return for any reason gets it, unless something changed or AT&T flat out lied to me; which is certainly possible. I certainly don't agree with defective phones getting hit with it, but corporations love to price gouge. AT&T is pretty bad about it, they wanted me to pay per month for family control or whatever they call it, just to block a single phone number.

It's part of the reason why the S6 is my last carrier branded phone.

Tell that manager to kiss your toe fungus.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Defects are defects and if the defect affects the performance of the device it should be replaced under warranty. AT&T will send it back to Samsung who will repair it and return it to AT&T to resell as refurbished for $100 less. If you have other AT&T stores in your area I would go to one of them and have the tech support agent put notes on your account as well to back you up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress