Samsung pay rocks!

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone use this? I have and they even sent me 50 bucks for trying it out. I love the look I get when I whip out my phone at the supermarket market and pay for stuff. I really think this is why I kept this phone for so long. I've been itching for a new device since the iPhone 6s came out but this feature has kept me hanging on. Anyone else feel this way?

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Just wish MORE Banks & Stores upgraded to actually use it .. None of my cards nor stores I shop most at have this available yet. Typical though for new technology. Patience.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Just wish MORE Banks & Stores upgraded to actually use it .. None of my cards nor stores I shop most at have this available yet. Typical though for new technology. Patience.

I hear that. It was while before Suntrust was compatible with it. I almost opened an account with BOA so I was able to use the feature. Thank god I waited because I hate Bank of America.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

The store doesn't have to do anything to accept it. You just need an eligible card

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I love it! A few finicky machines won't accept it but it's working great on most of them.

Posted via the Android Central App

jimmyjam22

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
My S6 bought unlocked from amazon model G920I when I access the app in play store says "Your device isn't compatible with this version "

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree. Most people think of this like Apple Pay or Android Pay and that the store needs an NFC reader for you to use it. That is NOT the case. In nearly every case that I use it at a regular POS terminal, it works. Just hold your phone near the magnetic swipe where you would normally swipe your card. I've only had it not work once.
It's actually such an awesome moment to me when I use it at places like Chick-fil-A or somewhere that doesn't even yet accept even Apple Pay or Android Pay (those w/o NFC terminals). There have been numerous times where I start to use my phone and the cashier will tell me that it won't work or they don't accept that type of payment. And I get nearly giddy with their look of surprise and astonishment when it works! Yes, I'm a geek.....

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I had some issues at home Depot and dollar general but I'm thinking it's probably the cashier doing something wrong on their end.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The only terminals I've noticed it doesn't work well at are Ingenico terminals. I have people say to me all the time when I'm checking out "it won't work, we don't have those kind of terminals" and then it beeps and spits out a receipt and people always say "wow, is that and iPhone?" LMAO. I always say, no, iPhones can't do this on all terminals like this phone can.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Completely agree. Most people think of this like Apple Pay or Android Pay and that the store needs an NFC reader for you to use it. That is NOT the case. In nearly every case that I use it at a regular POS terminal, it works. Just hold your phone near the magnetic swipe where you would normally swipe your card. I've only had it not work once.
It's actually such an awesome moment to me when I use it at places like Chick-fil-A or somewhere that doesn't even yet accept even Apple Pay or Android Pay (those w/o NFC terminals). There have been numerous times where I start to use my phone and the cashier will tell me that it won't work or they don't accept that type of payment. And I get nearly giddy with their look of surprise and astonishment when it works! Yes, I'm a geek.....

Interesting. I really didn't KNOW that. I falsely assumed that an NFC-capable POS terminal was required. In any case, I'm still needing my Credit Union to 'enable' this for their Cards. Do you need to enable NFC on the phone to at least enable THAT side of things? I'm assuming that is a must.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I really didn't KNOW that. I falsely assumed that an NFC-capable POS terminal was required. In any case, I'm still needing my Credit Union to 'enable' this for their Cards. Do you need to enable NFC on the phone to at least enable THAT side of things? I'm assuming that is a must.

You don't have to have nfc enabled at time the payment. The app will turn it on during the 15 second period and then it automatically shuts off

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
You don't have to have nfc enabled at time the payment. The app will turn it on during the 15 second period and then it automatically shuts off

OK, so then it DOES use NFC .... That really implies to ME at least that the POS Terminal must have NFC built into it for this to work. Without NFC, how the heck does it communicate with the phone's NFC ?????? I'm fairly technical, so this just doesn't sense to me yet. (NFC capable POS terminals usually have a little icon on the device indicating they are NFC ready - at least the ones I've seen.). And PS - 15 secs is an eternity to stand their holding up the line. I would rather just make sure I already have NFC turned on my phone to start with.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I belive NFC has to be on just in case it's a NFC terminal since it does both??? To my understanding there's something in the phone ( separate from NFC) that communicates via the magnetic strip. And it doesn't take 15 secs, just that the device will time out after 15 secs if it doesn't complete the "swipe" process. It actually takes the same amount of time if u swipped ur card. It's really an awesome feature. I would look at the list of banks and just open up an account with one because it will change the way u buy everyday things.

KMan2K7

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Samsung's own press release states in part:
To achieve this, Samsung leverages both Near Field Communication (NFC) and a new proprietary technology called Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) to make mobile payments more accessible to merchants and consumers than ever before.

On a related note: on my wife's S6 and on mine, we both found that the Samsung Pay "Simple Pay" features seemed to reduce the response sensitivity of the whole S6 screen, so both of us have turned the Simple Pay features off and our phones seem to be back to normal