S7 and Google Messenger instead of Messages?

oceanclub

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
S7 and Google Messenger instead of Messages

I find the stock Messages app on the S7 to be pretty poor. Despite turning every notification setting to on, I'm still missing text messages as they don't appear on my screen.

I installed Goggle Messenger. However, when I go to configure it, I get the following message:

"Change messaging app

You will not able to use some features of Samsung applications if you set Messenger instead of Messages as your default messaging application. Setting Messenger as your default messaging application may also affect your ability to send or receive messages, in which case Samsung shall not be responsible or liable."

Is this legal hyperbole or am I really stuck with Messages?

P.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: S7 and Google Messenger instead of Messages

Total BS. One of the first things I do is disable the stock message app and use Google Messenger. Haven't had any issues.

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I've been using messengers since day 1 with no issues at all, probably just Samsung trying to scare users into going with the stock app

Graphixx30

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm currently using the stock messaging app. I did download Google Messenger but it wasn't giving the pop-up notification when a new message arrived. For instance, I was using the phone going through my Twitter feed and received a new text message, the icon appeared in the notification bar but I didn't get the pop-up display that appears at the top of the screen. Was there a setting I was missing?

Vanco333

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be missing the enter key in google messenger which seems to be replaced by a smiley key on the S7 edge.

I tried pressing shift and still don't see the enter key. Any assistance on how to get this to show up?

Thank You

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be missing the enter key in google messenger which seems to be replaced by a smiley key on the S7 edge.

I tried pressing shift and still don't see the enter key. Any assistance on how to get this to show up?

Thank You

have you treid long pressing the enter. i got swiftkey and that's how i need to get the "enter" to work.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Not gonna lie. I'm only using the Samsung messenger so it matches my theme... lol.

mew33

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
hey guys do you see google messenger notifications on the always on screen? I'm not getting em which is the only drawback for me compared to the samsung messenger.

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

Go Settings then Defualt Applications then Messaging App and tick the correct icon
Go to Application Manager find the Samsung Message App it may or may not allow you to disable it but try it anyway, It may stop it from accidently turning back on after an update!

Some Carriers have bloatware but I hear Verizons is really good as well but never trust 3rd parties from the app store major Comapines that make phones like ASUS and Samsung are hit or miss with theirs I liked the Samsung one better on my Galaxy S5 compared to the one on my Galaxy S3 but in the end choose Googles for it's speed and pop up Response Window, Ablility to Colour Code my Messenger Windows so I know who is who quickly, Ablity to add subjects and add an Urgency tick thus makes it come up as urgent/priority on the users phone by holding down the send arrow icon!

If Google Adds wifi/internet support as well as RCS intergration and an Encryption Mode as well and gives us the choice to add backgrounds and change bubble types and adds the Google Assistant it will be a big no Huge rival to stupid Apples iMessenger and Facebooks Messenger App! ;)

I hear Duo and Google Dialer are going to be merged togeather but that may be on Pixel Phones only or at least to begin with! :-X
I Hope Google Messenger and Allo merge to create Allo Messenger! :-$

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

Yes in Settings}Application Manager} Messenger (Make sure it is the right one!)}Notifications} Tick/Select/Highlight Allow Notifications, Set as Priority and Previews in Pop-Ups this should fix it for all Samsungs 6 and 6 Edge and up!

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

It is just a scare tactic to keep you using their app yes you will loose Samsung App things like changing wallpaper or text bubbles and choosing to start the song/notification music/sound in the best place rather than the start!

Over all I switched 6 odd months ago and find Google Messenger to be faster and smoother with a helpful pop up reponse bubble/window for quick replies without having to go into the app althout the popup bubble gives you an option to go into the full app!

Also if you hold the send button you can add subject titles and even an option to send that perticular text/sms as a urgent/priority messege!

Google Messenger is also getting RCS/DATA support for some carriers

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to the S7 edge from a Droid Turbo (the original) that just received 6.0.1 Dang that was a great phone..Though I dislike what Lenovo has done to Moto..The notifications on the lockscreen were so simple on the Turbo. The version of Android on it was pretty close to stock, as I understand.

I'm still becoming familiar with the Samsung way.. I was having difficulty making the Google Messenger notifications show up with the AOD. I even called Samsung.. Twice.. on extended calls and they couldn't tell me that AOD notifications only works with their apps.. I guess I should have done more research on my own since I've found that notifications, except their own, don't currently work with their AOD but they will when Nougat finally reaches me..

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to the S7 edge from a Droid Turbo (the original) that just received 6.0.1 Dang that was a great phone..Though I dislike what Lenovo has done to Moto..The notifications on the lockscreen were so simple on the Turbo. The version of Android on it was pretty close to stock, as I understand.

I'm still becoming familiar with the Samsung way.. I was having difficulty making the Google Messenger notifications show up with the AOD. I even called Samsung.. Twice.. on extended calls and they couldn't tell me that AOD notifications only works with their apps.. I guess I should have done more research on my own since I've found that notifications, except their own, don't currently work with their AOD but they will when Nougat finally reaches me..

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Does a third party text messaging app work properly on my Gear S2?

I have an S2 Classic and I use Google Messenger, and the texts come through just fine and I can reply using any of the various entry methods. I do get an error if i try to compose a new message on the watch, though. It seems like you can only reply and not create a new message.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

I love Google messenger. I like being able to archive messages. I text so many customers my messaging gets cluttered. It's nice to be able to hide something I don't need and not actually delete it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress