Considering switching from V10 & would like to hear from others that did the same

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Let start by stating I am not a Samsung fan.. To me, they and their fans are just as bad as Apple. I had the S5 a few years ago and I was not happy with it at all so I went back to Windows Phone. Came back to Android again on LG and really enjoyed the G4 and V10. Having said all that, I have to say I am really liking what I've seen and read about the S7 Edge and spent some time with it in the store. Has anyone made the switch from the G4 or V10 to the S7 Edge? If so, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

dodgeboy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll assume you're in the US, and would be getting a Snapdragon variant like me. I moved from the V10, and I'll give you some pros/cons as I see it:

Pros
-The battery is much better when the phone is in use (much better screen on time, talk time, etc.)
-Samsung pay is amazing
-The screen is much more vibrant, and seems to get both brighter and dimmer than the V10
-The phone feels faster overall. The V10 never seemed as smooth/fast as it should've to me.
-The camera is faster, better in low light (without a flash), and has some more modes/options.
-The reception is better in very weak signal areas on my T-Mobile version
-Marshmallow is awesome. My V10 didn't have marshmallow yet.
-Wireless charging
-It feels lighter in the hand, and I think the overall size is more efficient (not as much surrounding/bezel area)

Cons
-The battery is about the same, or maybe even slightly worse in standby. The US S7E doesn't (currently) idle properly. I'm assuming there will be an update to fix this. The fact that just about anyone can get 6-7hrs of SOT and only about 24 hours of total usage (regardless of how much is standby) proves this.
-The headphone amp/dac is pathetic, as compared to the V10. If you do any listening with wired headphones, you will notice this immediately.
-I really miss the second screen. The information it provides is much more useful than the always on display
-The "Pro" mode in the camera is not nearly as good as the manual mode on the V10.
-No removable battery
-The screen seems a LOT smaller than the V10 at first. Much moreso than the .2" in the specs.
-I miss the power button/fingerprint reader on the back of the phone

Overall, it's somewhat of a lateral move in my opinion. It's just different. If the differences are worth it to you, then it's a good switch. I like to change phones a lot, so it made sense for me. I think when they figure out the standby/idle issue, this phone will really stand out. It should be able to go 2 days of average use once that's fixed.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've used a v10 for 2 weeks before I returned it. But I will say the s7 edge blows it away. Battery lofe5, perfoemance, acrewn5, etc. The s7 is another step up from the v10.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll assume you're in the US, and would be getting a Snapdragon variant like me. I moved from the V10, and I'll give you some pros/cons as I see it:

Pros
-The battery is much better when the phone is in use (much better screen on time, talk time, etc.)
-Samsung pay is amazing
-The screen is much more vibrant, and seems to get both brighter and dimmer than the V10
-The phone feels faster overall. The V10 never seemed as smooth/fast as it should've to me.
-The camera is faster, better in low light (without a flash), and has some more modes/options.
-The reception is better in very weak signal areas on my T-Mobile version
-Marshmallow is awesome. My V10 didn't have marshmallow yet.
-Wireless charging
-It feels lighter in the hand, and I think the overall size is more efficient (not as much surrounding/bezel area)

Cons
-The battery is about the same, or maybe even slightly worse in standby. The US S7E doesn't (currently) idle properly. I'm assuming there will be an update to fix this. The fact that just about anyone can get 6-7hrs of SOT and only about 24 hours of total usage (regardless of how much is standby) proves this.
-The headphone amp/dac is pathetic, as compared to the V10. If you do any listening with wired headphones, you will notice this immediately.
-I really miss the second screen. The information it provides is much more useful than the always on display
-The "Pro" mode in the camera is not nearly as good as the manual mode on the V10.
-No removable battery
-The screen seems a LOT smaller than the V10 at first. Much moreso than the .2" in the specs.
-I miss the power button/fingerprint reader on the back of the phone

Overall, it's somewhat of a lateral move in my opinion. It's just different. If the differences are worth it to you, then it's a good switch. I like to change phones a lot, so it made sense for me. I think when they figure out the standby/idle issue, this phone will really stand out. It should be able to go 2 days of average use once that's fixed.

Thank you, this is great info. I'm in the US and also on T-Mobile so it's very relevant to me. Glad to hear Samsung Pay works well. Android Pay was hit or miss for me and the chip cards are annoyingly slow at registers that don't accept AP.

Posted via the Android Central App

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I went for it. Big change from a size perspective but I really like it so far. Only major concern is protecting this curved glass screen. I saw a few tempered glass protectors on Amazon.com that will be available next week, until then I am using a plastic screen protector. Definitely getting a case too. It's well built but I felt like I could run over the V10 with a tank. This one, not so much lol

Posted via the Android Central App