One afternoon with my new S7 Edge... my thoughts and follow ups!

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
My new Edge showed up in the mail today from Rogers; fun times!

I ordered it sight-unseen a couple of weeks ago after finally realizing that my BlackBerry Classic just didn't want to play nice anymore.

Having had two iPhones (a 4 and a 5) previously, and an iPad Mini currently, I initially leaned toward an iP6S Plus, due to the great reviews, total familiarity with iOS, and great satisfaction with all the other Apple products I've used over the last 5 years or so. (I'm posting this in Safari on a Late-2012 MBA.)

I did some digging (including lurking here quite a lot), and in spite of some of the epic 'problems' threads, I decided on the S7E for a few of reasons, namely the pile of positive reviews everywhere, the incredible hardware specs and attendant performance, and the fact that it's late in the iPhone product cycle, as the iP7 should be out in just a handful of months from now.

Why not the BlackBerry Priv? I have fallen deeply back in love with the physical keyboard since I went back to BB from iOS in late 2014, so the Priv was tempting, but one of the main advantages to BB10 is the lean nature of that OS; BB can't get away with putting out a device built on last year's hardware and expect it to run next year's OS, when that OS is Android. Lastly, there's no way that slider mechanism would survive in the residential construction ecosystem that is my daily work environment. The IP68 rating on the Edge sealed the deal.

So after an afternoon and evening of playing, tinkering, setting up accounts, downloading apps and learning the OS a little bit, here's what I think of my first Android device:

The entire hardware package is sexy, to be sure. We've all read the litany of reviews available, but what's been said about the screen, camera and power of this device is for real. If you're OCD (which I'm not), you might mind that the earpiece speaker is misaligned with it's cutout in the glass; we're talking an amount both out-of-square and out-of-plane that you'd need to measure with a micrometer, but I noticed it right away. Being OCD-free, I laughed and carried on.

The camera seems to live up to the hype so far; I've only taken about 30 shots as testers, so time will tell. The camera app interface is the best I've used in a phone, and I'm SO pleased with the speed going from a locked screen to a shutter click via the double-click of the home button.

One thing I will say about the hardware though; the moniker "fingerprint magnet" is an unfortunate understatement. The phone will wear a case of course, but that screen...! :confused: I'm going to need a screen protector just to protect it from my fingers! Wow...

I don't recall any other device that was so bad for prints and smudges on the glass, and I'm fairly sure that both Apple and BB use Gorilla Glass of one generation or another? Perhaps this is an attribute of GG4, or lack of a great coating by Samsung?

Anyway, I was fairly certain that the hardware would impress me; it was the OS that I was curious about. I've never spent more than 2 minutes driving an Android device of any kind, so today represents the totality of my experience in this environment.

I can't say that I'm displeased or disappointed at all, honestly. In terms of navigating the OS, BlackBerry has beaten the world with BB10. Neither this device nor anything by Apple come close to the power and simplicity of that system. I'm surprised by how many similarities Samsung has built into this, however. Enough of them that while everything wasn't accessible exactly as I'm familiar, it's all close enough to move quickly. Generally speaking, there are shortcuts where there need to be, and menus are logical and intuitive.

A couple of things that I don't understand though, are the Apps folder (drawer?) being locked in the dock, and yet app installs automatically generate a shortcut on the home pages. Weird.

Dealing with notifications is also a bit off for me. Again, BB10 changed the world with the BB Hub. For those of you who haven't used a recent BB device, you seriously don't know what you're missing. I openly hope that if they continue develop software and devices for Android, that they bring full Hub functionality to the app store for all of us.

The app ecosystem is what I knew it to be; the equal of Apple's in just about every way. Of the few dozen apps I have from Apple's world, only a few were paid apps, and all of them exist in the Play Store, so no big deal. (Actually, there's one that I use daily, which was about a $20 purchase in iOS and is double that for Android, which is super-duper-lame-o, but otherwise...) BlackBerry's app ecosystem famously sucks [insert favourite pejoratives here] - what you may have heard was probably not as bad as reality. Being able to side-load Android apps was a horrible, horrible workaround that would at times make you happy you could just get something, and at times make you empathize with Jack Torrance in The Shining.

I can't speak to phone call quality or signal reception just yet; Rogers has a 14-day "Buyer's Remorse" return policy with no questions asked, save one, and it's nearly archaic in today's smart-phone environment: the device must have less than 30 minutes of phone call airtime to be eligible for return. No limit on data transfer, nor SMS, photos or email, of course. There's no reason that airtime would equate to wear & tear or any similar notion, but so it is. Some of you might not make 30 minutes of calls in 14 days; I'll rip through that 'allowance' between the start of the day and lunchtime on a business day. Tomorrow being Friday, I'll wait until the weekend to activate my new SIM, and make up my mind by Sunday night.

Barring any shocking realizations during the weekend test drive, I suspect I'll be keeping this unit though - it really does seem to be as good as it's debutante reputation so far.

NOTE: So far, I have NOT experienced any connectivity issues with WiFi, nor a single problem with the SD card, both of which problems have ample coverage on these forums and elsewhere.

I'll update with my experience over the next couple of days.

Last edited:

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: One afternoon with my new S7 Edge... my thoughts.

I am a Passport user eying S7E for a while now, thanks for your review!

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, as a huge android fanatic (only one in my household), this S7 edge is without question, the best phone yet. One thing everyone should remember. These electronic devices actually do need a break - in period same as a car. Ive never owned a device, whether it be android or ios, that was totally perfect right out of the box. With my S7 edge, I encountered few issues. The 2 that plagued it were the wifi (now fixed) and the first day, battery drain. But now, a couple of days later, im getting a full day plus out of my battery and that's with moderate to heavy use. To be honest, I never had an iPhone because Steve Jobs didn't want verizon customers to own one when they first broke. So I went with the original moto droid and thats when I fell in love. My family said id never get it to sync with my macbook computers, but that's simply not true. All sync perfectly. Good luck with your S7 edge. You didn't make a mistake.

Posted via Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

A couple of things that I don't understand though, are the Apps folder (drawer?) being locked in the dock, and yet app installs automatically generate a shortcut on the home pages. Weird.

Just a setting in the Play Store that you turn on or off when you want.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Again, BB10 changed the world with the BB Hub. For those of you who haven't used a recent BB device, you seriously don't know what you're missing. I openly hope that if they continue develop software and devices for Android, that they bring full Hub functionality to the app store for all of us.

Nice review.

I used to use Blackberries up to and inc. the Z30, but have had 4 Android phones since, and I agree - the BB10 Hub was fantastic, and I still think it's one of the most innovative ways around a phone. Sadly, I disagree that BB10 changed the World though - if it had, Blackberry wouldn't be running Android now.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Today will be about attempting to sync my contacts and iTunes library from my Mac to the Edge.

Will our hero prevail? Or does the new little green robot have a hidden agenda? Stay tuned...

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Update this evening: I was rewarded with mixed success today.

Smart Switch made it a breeze to haul over some data from an old iPhone backup; contacts, call logs and text messages (for which I was immensely grateful, having never found a way to migrate messages to my previous two BB devices from the iPhone.) I will try tomorrow to connect my BB Classic (most recent device) with the Edge and do the same.

Smart Switch made a bit of a mess of migrating my music from said backup however; I couldn't figure out how to bring the music files into the SD card rather than device storage, and I have more music than the 32GB would hold.

I simply manually deleted all the music files and will try another method. (Fun happenstance; I discovered that my iTunes library has a metric ****load of duplicate, and even some triplicate files. There are a series of dates correlating to the creation of these dupes, and I have no idea what I did two and three years ago to create them, but will fix this prior to importing the music to the S7E.)

I continue to be deeply impressed with this device and OS. It's powerful, smooth, fast and fluid. My reaction to a pile of functions/features I came across today ranged from "That's neat" to "That's AWESOME".

I don't know the difference between some functions being Android M vs. TouchWhiz, but there are a lot of gestures in this interface that echo BB10 and iOS9, and are great.

I'll test tomorrow to see how it stacks up in the call quality/signal reception department, and whether it will play nicer with SYNC/My Ford Touch than did my BB Classic. (MFT is widely and rightly regarded as a steaming pile of MS waste product.)

One function I'm deeply hoping for is the ability, in Google Maps, to play navigation instructions as a BT phone call, rather than strictly over the BT Audio profile. This allows me to hear turn-by-turn nav prompts regardless of which audio source I'm using.

Google Maps in iOS does this, so I'm expecting no less here... am I set for satisfaction, or disappointment?

Quick question; how do I get the status bar to display which grade of network (3G, 4G, LTE) I'm using? All I have is a bar scale with no other indicator.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi, as a huge android fanatic (only one in my household), this S7 edge is without question, the best phone yet. One thing everyone should remember. These electronic devices actually do need a break - in period same as a car. Ive never owned a device, whether it be android or ios, that was totally perfect right out of the box. With my S7 edge, I encountered few issues. The 2 that plagued it were the wifi (now fixed) and the first day, battery drain. But now, a couple of days later, im getting a full day plus out of my battery and that's with moderate to heavy use. To be honest, I never had an iPhone because Steve Jobs didn't want verizon customers to own one when they first broke. So I went with the original moto droid and thats when I fell in love. My family said id never get it to sync with my macbook computers, but that's simply not true. All sync perfectly. Good luck with your S7 edge. You didn't make a mistake.

Posted via Android Central App

You do know that Steve Jobs went to Verizon First and asked them to carry the phone, but when he told them all the conditions (apple would control updates and all software and Verizon wasn't allowed to F it up with all their bloatware,) they said No thanks. So Steve went to AT&T and they jumped all over it with their exclusive contract.
Verizon is the reason they didn't have the iPhone. Not Steve Jobs.

Another fun fact. Steve also went to HP computers and asked them to make machines for OS X, they said no, and Apple decided to make their own hardware. Look where HP is now.

Mikeysvt02

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

One function I'm deeply hoping for is the ability, in Google Maps, to play navigation instructions as a BT phone call, rather than strictly over the BT Audio profile. This allows me to hear turn-by-turn nav prompts regardless of which audio source I'm using.

Google Maps in iOS does this, so I'm expecting no less here... am I set for satisfaction, or disappointment?

We'll it's not exactly the Bluetooth phone call function but there is a way to toggle audio path without disconnecting Bluetooth.

Under the quick toggles and brightness slider in the notification menu there is an option underneath that says quick connect. On the right side it let's you manually toggle to play Bluetooth audio from your phone or your connected Bluetooth device such as your car.

Not exactly what you want, but at least you'd hear navigation directions from your phone if your listening to the radio in your car rather than nothing at all during navigation and such....

Posted via the Android Central App

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

We'll it's not exactly the Bluetooth phone call function but there is a way to toggle audio path without disconnecting Bluetooth.

Under the quick toggles and brightness slider in the notification menu there is an option underneath that says quick connect. On the right side it let's you manually toggle to play Bluetooth audio from your phone or your connected Bluetooth device such as your car.

Not exactly what you want, but at least you'd hear navigation directions from your phone if your listening to the radio in your car rather than nothing at all during navigation and such....

I discovered this late this afternoon.

I'm happy to say that the speaker on the Edge is loud and clear enough that I can hear Nav prompts over my car's stereo (at less than concert volumes LOL).

I'm baffled that this function exists in Google Maps on iOS, but not on Android. So much so that I started another thread about it in the Android Apps forum here on AC.

On my previous iP5 with Google Maps, there was a toggle that would precisely allow the phone to send Nav prompts as a phone call: the audio source would cut, the prompt would play, then the audio source would resume. My MFT display even had a notification which read "Call Ended" after each prompt.

I wonder if it's a function of how iOS manages BT profiles vs. how Android does? I was under the impression that BT was a platform-agnostic standard?

C'mon Google, get this fixed. It's important! (At least to me...)

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Impression update:

Aside from the above convo about Maps and Nav prompts, I was well pleased with my Edge today. I even did a few things that I've rarely or never done with a phone before; I shot some video (of my dog), and DL'd and played a couple of games. I also streamed a TV show episode, loaded a ton of apps, made a few calls, and confirmed that my email accounts are all functioning properly.

I last took it off the charger at about this time yesterday. It was on all night using Sleep Cycle (my favourite - and an outstanding - alarm clock) and throughout the day doing all the above. I finally caved in and put it on the charger about 2 hours ago. Not bad for that amount of use I'd say. I like the fast charge capability as well. Less than 90 minutes from ~10% to a full charge.

Not too shabby so far... I suspect this device is a keeper.

(I still haven't had a single issue with the SD card, if you're following that thread.)

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

One little thing to add: I've read a bunch of reviews which decry the location of the 'back' button, to the right of the home button.

Coming from a BlackBerry, it's in the correct location! Those reviewers are mistaken.

I actually wish that 'back' and 'recent apps' were physical buttons TBH, as they're a bit sensitive. Given the size of this machine, a one-handed device it is not.

Carrying on!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I guess the S7e has really left quite the impression on you as a BB10 user.

How's life on Android so far? Sounds like a blast!

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

I guess the S7e has really left quite the impression on you as a BB10 user.

How's life on Android so far? Sounds like a blast!

In just the last 18 months, I've used iOS 7, 8 and 9, BB10, and even BBOS 7 extensively. This is my first Android experience, and generally I'm well pleased. The device seems top notch, and the OS is reasonable. It lacks some intuitiveness and even some common sense in a few areas, but generally pretty OK.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Smart Lock... wow.

What a great idea, so poorly executed. This function is flakier than at least two of my ex-girlfriends.

The issue (discussed elsewhere here on AC and other forums) where it doesn't reliably work at 'Home' could be easily fixed by allowing a trusted WiFi network; an option that's missing from the available selections.

That said, it sometimes works in my car connected via BlueTooth, and sometimes not, so...?

If the fingerprint reader weren't so absolutely fast, this would be a major problem.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

This battery is really something.

I took it off the charger at around midnight last night, to see how much power was consumed by my Sleep Cycle alarm app overnight.

Starting at a lazy 8:00AM, I made a total of 1:45 worth of phone calls (almost all of which over a BT earbud), sent messages, email etc. throughout the day, streamed some music from Google Music via BT in my car, used the browser, etc. In other words, a pretty normal day.

Here we are 13 hours later, and my battery is at exactly 50%.

This is one area of this phone's performance with which I'm totally satisfied. The battery usage menu suggests another 13:20 on this charge.

Couple that with the ability to charge from 10% to 100% in about 1:15 (tested last night)... we have a real winner in the power management playoffs!

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

The form of this device is a horrible beauty. It's lovely to behold both visually and in the hand, but it's as slippery as a fish and almost impossible to use without accidentally inputting on the keyboard or launching apps or navigating someplace unexpected.

The right case solves the problem of course, but I think that this is a case of function following form, and lagging well behind.

Are any of you able to honestly use this device naked without all the unintended inputs? Did Samsung actually test this thing extensively before release?

I'm a carpenter, not an engineer, but I think that somehow reducing the sensitivity of the touchscreen around the periphery might have eliminated or at least reduced this issue.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

My new Edge showed up in the mail today from Rogers; fun times!

I ordered it sight-unseen a couple of weeks ago after finally realizing that my BlackBerry Classic just didn't want to play nice anymore.

Having had two iPhones (a 4 and a 5) previously, and an iPad Mini currently, I initially leaned toward an iP6S Plus, due to the great reviews, total familiarity with iOS, and great satisfaction with all the other Apple products I've used over the last 5 years or so. (I'm posting this in Safari on a Late-2012 MBA.)

I did some digging (including lurking here quite a lot), and in spite of some of the epic 'problems' threads, I decided on the S7E for a few of reasons, namely the pile of positive reviews everywhere, the incredible hardware specs and attendant performance, and the fact that it's late in the iPhone product cycle, as the iP7 should be out in just a handful of months from now.

Why not the BlackBerry Priv? I have fallen deeply back in love with the physical keyboard since I went back to BB from iOS in late 2014, so the Priv was tempting, but one of the main advantages to BB10 is the lean nature of that OS; BB can't get away with putting out a device built on last year's hardware and expect it to run next year's OS, when that OS is Android. Lastly, there's no way that slider mechanism would survive in the residential construction ecosystem that is my daily work environment. The IP68 rating on the Edge sealed the deal.

So after an afternoon and evening of playing, tinkering, setting up accounts, downloading apps and learning the OS a little bit, here's what I think of my first Android device:

The entire hardware package is sexy, to be sure. We've all read the litany of reviews available, but what's been said about the screen, camera and power of this device is for real. If you're OCD (which I'm not), you might mind that the earpiece speaker is misaligned with it's cutout in the glass; we're talking an amount both out-of-square and out-of-plane that you'd need to measure with a micrometer, but I noticed it right away. Being OCD-free, I laughed and carried on.

The camera seems to live up to the hype so far; I've only taken about 30 shots as testers, so time will tell. The camera app interface is the best I've used in a phone, and I'm SO pleased with the speed going from a locked screen to a shutter click via the double-click of the home button.

One thing I will say about the hardware though; the moniker "fingerprint magnet" is an unfortunate understatement. The phone will wear a case of course, but that screen...! :confused: I'm going to need a screen protector just to protect it from my fingers! Wow...

I don't recall any other device that was so bad for prints and smudges on the glass, and I'm fairly sure that both Apple and BB use Gorilla Glass of one generation or another? Perhaps this is an attribute of GG4, or lack of a great coating by Samsung?

Anyway, I was fairly certain that the hardware would impress me; it was the OS that I was curious about. I've never spent more than 2 minutes driving an Android device of any kind, so today represents the totality of my experience in this environment.

I can't say that I'm displeased or disappointed at all, honestly. In terms of navigating the OS, BlackBerry has beaten the world with BB10. Neither this device nor anything by Apple come close to the power and simplicity of that system. I'm surprised by how many similarities Samsung has built into this, however. Enough of them that while everything wasn't accessible exactly as I'm familiar, it's all close enough to move quickly. Generally speaking, there are shortcuts where there need to be, and menus are logical and intuitive.

Dealing with notifications is also a bit off for me. Again, BB10 changed the world with the BB Hub. For those of you who haven't used a recent BB device, you seriously don't know what you're missing. I openly hope that if they continue develop software and devices for Android, that they bring full Hub functionality to the app store for all of us.

The app ecosystem is what I knew it to be; the equal of Apple's in just about every way. Of the few dozen apps I have from Apple's world, only a few were paid apps, and all of them exist in the Play Store, so no big deal. (Actually, there's one that I use daily, which was about a $20 purchase in iOS and is double that for Android, which is super-duper-lame-o, but otherwise...) BlackBerry's app ecosystem famously sucks [insert favourite pejoratives here] - what you may have heard was probably not as bad as reality. Being able to side-load Android apps was a horrible, horrible workaround that would at times make you happy you could just get something, and at times make you empathize with Jack Torrance in The Shining.

I can't speak to phone call quality or signal reception just yet; Rogers has a 14-day "Buyer's Remorse" return policy with no questions asked, save one, and it's nearly archaic in today's smart-phone environment: the device must have less than 30 minutes of phone call airtime to be eligible for return. No limit on data transfer, nor SMS, photos or email, of course. There's no reason that airtime would equate to wear & tear or any similar notion, but so it is. Some of you might not make 30 minutes of calls in 14 days; I'll rip through that 'allowance' between the start of the day and lunchtime on a business day. Tomorrow being Friday, I'll wait until the weekend to activate my new SIM, and make up my mind by Sunday night.

Barring any shocking realizations during the weekend test drive, I suspect I'll be keeping this unit though - it really does seem to be as good as it's debutante reputation so far.

NOTE: So far, I have NOT experienced any connectivity issues with WiFi, nor a single problem with the SD card, both of which problems have ample coverage on these forums and elsewhere.

I'll update with my experience over the next couple of days.

Totally agree with you on the BB10 OS. I posted this on another thread, but I was a Blackberry user for 7 years. My most recent Blackberry was the Classic. I didn't have any major issues with it other than the lack of apps and developers giving up on BB10 for the most part. The Hub was fantastic and is one of the things I DO miss on the Edge. And that physical keyboard... Haha.

Other than that, I love the Edge. No major complaints. Sometimes it won't read my fingerprints but I attribute that to my ashy skin. Got this thing buttoned up with a Supcase Unicorn Beetle holster case (yup, I'm a holster guy. Sexy or what? Haha.) I also have one of those Zagg Shield screen protectors on it.

Still getting used to typing on glass. And I still catch myself swiping up to "peek" at messages and swiping left to access the Hub. Force of habit :)

I tried out the Priv. It's not a bad device. But then I saw this beauty online... Also purchased sight unseen (after doing research and reading reviews obviously.)

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

So far, so good with the S7E. I've already detailed a few complaints, and I don't really have any new ones to speak of.

QUESTION: Is there a way to adjust how long it takes for the screen to dim while in an active phone call? I use a BT earpiece a lot of the time, and the screen will dim every 7 seconds or so... not nearly long enough to listen for prompts before pressing a key when connected to an IVR system (banks, gov't, etc.).

I'd love to be able to extend this 'timeout' on the screen, but can't seem to find a setting to do so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38