Moving apps to SD card.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The app you linked me to is just the ticket! 😂
It found an app I missed before when I went through them all manually. It also included itself, as I hadn't a chance to move it yet. Problem solved. Thanks a lot.
Activating the adoptable storage doesn't need root. It was never disabled or removed by Samsung. They just hid the switch. ADB simply skips the UI switch and uses code to activate it.

Edit: nvm. It seems you were responding to something else.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Just for the record Android OS mainly 6.0.1does work with SD card & adaptable storage. My nvivida shield tablet out of the box as soon as I inserted a SD card it prompted me if I wanted to use it as my main storage drive. Same with the HTC 10. Why Samsung didn't offer this great feature just frustrates me. One set back with the 2016 S line. Clearly other Android OEMs offer adaptable storage with SD cards in 2016

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Just for the record Android OS mainly 6.0.1does work with SD card & adaptable storage. My nvivida shield tablet out of the box as soon as I inserted a SD card it prompted me if I wanted to use it as my main storage drive. Same with the HTC 10. Why Samsung didn't offer this great feature just frustrates me. One set back with the 2016 S line. Clearly other Android OEMs offer adaptable storage with SD cards in 2016
Actually, LG (2nd biggest Android manufacturer) also does not offer adoptable storage out of the box.

This is a pretty big update, and personally I'd think it's better that they didn't enable it immediately for regular users. The problem with it is most people just buy a cheap SD card, or use the older SD card for it. This would lead to several problems. First is the speed of the card. Even the fastest SD card available is not as fast as the NAND flash drive inside the phone. Using a cheap class 4 card as adoptable storage will undoubtedly slow down the entire phone and all its operations. Second, using an older SD card puts you at risk with the eventual failure of the card. SD cards, like all flash storage, has a limited number of writes and erase before it starts to deteriorate/fail. Adoptable storage encrypts the card and treats it as an extension of the onboard storage. Should you use an old SD card and it fails, there is a big chance that the phone cannot be saved by anything less than a factory reset, and even if the phone could be used, the encrypted nature of the adopted card may render its contents unrecoverable.

From what I understood about Samsung and LG in their statements, they did not want to spring such a feature on their casual users, and wait for it to be better documented so the users would know what they're getting into. Plus they supposedly believe that most of their users use the SD card for media anyway and believe that their choice wouldn't be a big deal for their customers. 40 million shipped units seems like that's true.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Those of us that purchased a higher end SD card would love to have this option available to us but to agree with your point we arent a big enough percentage for Samsung to take us serious enough to give us this feature.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey Golfie, I just want to thank you again for directing me to this little app. I purchased the pro version because I didn't want the advertisements. The interface is excellent with everything you need to know as well as selectable themes, etc. There is also a notification option which advises you when there is an app that needs moving. Every thing I wanted in spades. 😆
I also want to apologize for going off on you for no good reason. And I admire the fact that even though I was rude to you, you continued to try to help me. That shows class. You really came through for me. Thanks again.

"The obligation of a Warrior is impecability." - Don Genero

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Those of us that purchased a higher end SD card would love to have this option available to us but to agree with your point we arent a big enough percentage for Samsung to take us serious enough to give us this feature.
I mentioned previously that adoptable storage is activated on an S7 using ADB commands. No root needed. Samsung just removed the UI to toggle the command from onboard the phone itself. You just need the ADB bridge program to toggle the switch from outside the phone. Basically it's like a lamp with no bulb. Just bring your own bulb and you're good to go.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Curious... those of you using adaptable storage, do you notice a drop off in reliability and speed?... Also what grade SD card are you using? Does the speed of the SD card matter?

I intentionally keep my memory buckets separate. So apps are executed from the 64G internal memory in my LGV10, and things like pics, video, and music are read and written to SD. My thinking is its "easier" for the CPU to function this way. The Snapdragon 808 in my LG V10 is no speed demon, and I think (hope) I am doing whats best for it.

Also cache can get messy on Android depending on the apps you install and use. How well does adaptable storage handle cache clutter?... er how well does the CPU handle cache thats piling up on the SD? Do you find it necessary to clear cache more often when using adaptable storage?

Can anyone comment on these points?... thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Golfie, I just want to thank you again for directing me to this little app. I purchased the pro version because I didn't want the advertisements. The interface is excellent with everything you need to know as well as selectable themes, etc. There is also a notification option which advises you when there is an app that needs moving. Every thing I wanted in spades. 😆
I also want to apologize for going off on you for no good reason. And I admire the fact that even though I was rude to you, you continued to try to help me. That shows class. You really came through for me. Thanks again.

"The obligation of a Warrior is impecability." - Don Genero

I couldn't find the app that I had when I was on my Galaxy S2. It probably was pulled by either the dev, or hasn't been updated on so long that my phone is viewed as incompatible. Glad you like the app.

Sorry for being short earlier. I was dealing with a real life Android issue for someone at work, and even though they asked me for help, told me since I didn't have an S6, how do I know what I'm talking about. I got that comment right before one of my replies to you. I apologize.

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
It's a decision made by Samsung which I cannot answer for. There was a time back during Kitkat days that Samsung was the only manufacturer to retain the move to SD card option on the phone. I think up to now, they still are the only ones. Other manufacturers would need to user to download something like Apps2SD or Link2SD from the Play Store to partially transfer thr apps. I do not know if either app supports mass moving to SD card.

I am not sure about other companies, but my LG, while it doesn't give you move to sd card, if you go into storage option of some apps (FIOS will let you do it) you can see Storage Used and you can Change it from internal to SD. Also as stated before not all data moves, but some portion of it at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez