Cracked screen, still works, what now?

A

AC Question

I just cracked the screen on my S7 Edge last week. The phone still works and the cracks are mostly out of the way....bottom right corner, around the thumb print scanner and one crack by the Samsung logo on top. Unfortunately we don't have insurance on it (I know bad idea).... I'm trying to determine what my options are. I've read online that the repair is pretty pricey, but I'm also worried about it getting worse since it is glass. Debating on getting a tempered glass screen protector and/or a better case and keeping it as is although it makes me sad to look at it currently or suck it up and pay for the repair.

Jason Cockerham

Community Review Team Leader
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Truthfully, you'll probably just have to suck it up and contact Samsung for a repair. A glass screen protector will only slow the problem getting worse and even if you put it in a case too, now the slightest drops will only excalate the issue. It sucks, I know. Phone repairs are the worst. Just had to send my OnePlus 3 off for the same treatment.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Shops in my area wanted about $350-400 to fix my screen. I ended up just buying a new phone when T-Mobile had the $360 sale a few weeks ago. I still have the phone with the broken glass. It still works and the crack is on the bottom right edge. It's very rough there like a piece of glass is missing or it's chipped. Didn't feel safe using it anywhere but home until I replaced the phone.

I have no idea how much Samsung will charge but I am sure it won't be cheap either.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Shops in my area wanted about $350-400 to fix my screen. I ended up just buying a new phone when T-Mobile had the $360 sale a few weeks ago. I still have the phone with the broken glass. It still works and the crack is on the bottom right edge. It's very rough there like a piece of glass is missing or it's chipped. Didn't feel safe using it anywhere but home until I replaced the phone.

I have no idea how much Samsung will charge but I am sure it won't be cheap either.

KSBV

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I had a droid turbo 2 repaired at a ubreakifix shop near me and found them to be very reasonable. Had a charge port and battery replacement done not a screen but may be worth checking with them if they are local to you.